The future of Krell

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Without Dan D'Agostino, many feel that Krell will never again hold the same position in the high-end world that it has enjoyed for a few decades. However, the new ownership seems to have squelched the company's financial difficulties with a capital infusion. The release of the new Blu-Ray player (at a high price, even for Krell!) may be considered a declaration that the company is not lying down yet.

What do you guys think?

Lee

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I'm not sure if the lawsuit is finished yet. Unfortunately for Dan & Rondi, even if they get back into the company, they'll probably be "tethered" in a manner they aren't accustomed to.

Lee

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Unlike Theta who has yet to deliver a new product under the new ownership (or even upgrade an old one like the Casablanca), at least Krell is still showing some life. But both companies became what they did due to (a) the passion of the founders (b) some good marketing and (c) good products. (I owned a number of Krell amps and the slickest CD Krell player with the slowly lowered acrylic top as well as a number of Theta products. In fact, I wish I had never sold that CD player). The new "companies" are just that - companies. They "tend" to be more managed to the bottom line. The industry and product passion may or may not be there. On the other hand, when the original Mark Levinson was bought out, Harmon still produced (and still does) some great ML products. So we shall see.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
If one believes what's appeared on the internet, I wouldn't wish what's happened to him upon anyone. Only I can't quite figure it all out and will take a long time in court to fight.

I saw Dan at CES but didn't get into the situation with Krell.

I'd imagine Dan could get the financial backing in a hearbeat to start another company if he wanted. Only thing is Dan willing and have the energy to start a new business?

C.A.P

Apr 23, 2010
Chuck

there were two versions of that CD player. I owned both the MD-10 and the MD-20. Then I got my all time favorite piece that I kick myself for having sold was the KPS25sc

I would never sell my KPS 25SC its to damn pretty and it GETS IT DONE ! like no other.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I would never sell my KPS 25SC its to damn pretty and it GETS IT DONE ! like no other.

IMO the KPS25SC belongs in the Smithstonian as it is a remarkable work of art.
I sold mine for more than what I paid for it new. I'm kicking myself that I sold it

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
In Europe you still can get an used late model KPS25SC for about euro 6000. I owned one several years- it is now playing in friend system - and I also consider it an excellent player. But is does not have the ultimate resolution and nuance of my current ARC CD8. Although the preamplifier was very good, the CD was the best part of the 25sc.
My friend unit recently had all the electrolytic capacitors replaced with good quality ones. The sound improved considerably, bass became much deeper and more articulated. The technician who did it told me that some of the capacitors measured less than 30% of the rated capacitance - natural if we consider the high inside temperature, even in stand-by.
But as you say, someone who owned this work of art can not forget the movement of this acrylic cover when closing, the shutter becoming opaque and the CD starting to spin...

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Has anyone heard the new "e" version of the Krell Evolution amps? They've been well-received in the press, but you know how that can go...

My EVO403 sounds fantastic, and I would wonder if they plan to offer an upgrade path.

Lee

D

DUP

The movie might have been better?

What was so impressive about Krell over many many other brands, that cost much less and perform better. Isn't Krell just another marketing opeartion? What did he inovate, and do that changed things. Certainly ain't no David Hafler, Edgar Vilchur, Henry Kloss, Frank VanAlstine. Flounder the company, cus' he might have thought he was more important than he really was? Same with Levinson, over priced under performing stuff. I've seen so many over hyped products get smoked, by lesser priced high performance stuff. 2 McIntosh mono amps smoked by 2 VanAlstine P500 Hafler rebuilds by VanAlstine into OmegaStar EX ckts, so much so, he sold teh McIntoshs and bought 2 VanAlstine P500Hafler/Omegastar EX amps, more power better sound much less money. And RELIABLE, never had an AVA failure in close to 20 yeras of many many of his products. Krell is an over hyped over priced product. Why all the hype?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
We would have to agree to disagree as would many many members here. I have owned several Krell components over the years which I would call SOTA thanks to the brilliance of Dan D'Agostino.

For years his amps were the only ones which didn't give up the ghost when played through several speakers

D

DUP

Crown, Hafler, VanAlstine

All extremely solid, great sounding unflappable amplifiers. Without the absurd prices. Latest AVA have "double die" output MOSFETS high current handle anything, like Crown, QSC priced for mortals, on this planet.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
DUP,

It's fine that you aren't a fan of Krell/Levinson, etc. Rather than posting as above, why don't you check out the other forums here, or request that a separate amplifier forum be created to discuss your desired brands?

BTW, Steve, I agree about the ability of the Krells to drive certain speakers. Krells were the only amps at the time that could drive the 0.1 Ohm load of the midrange ribbon in my big Apogees.

Lee

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Krell build their reputation on their ability to drive impossible loads but were not the only amplifiers at the time capable of such. Mark Levinson, Pass/Threshold, Rowland, Classe were also known to be able to drive the Apogee as well, Scintilla included.

I don't know much about modified by Van Alstine Haflers. I know they were very good but cannot comment having not auditioned any of their models.

I also would not equate Circuit topologies with the quality of a component. That double Mosfet are used by some amplifiers doesn't mean they sound the same. I am also not certain that within most of the Audio bandwidth, most Pro amps sounds as satisfying as the better High End amplifiers. For the sake of intellectual honesty, I am speculating: I have never conducted such a comparison.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Hi

Krell build their reputation on their ability to drive impossible loads but were not the only amplifiers at the time capable of such. Mark Levinson, Pass/Threshold, Rowland, Classe were also known to be able to drive the Apogee as well, Scintilla included.

I don't know much about modified by Van Alstine Haflers. I know they were very good but cannot comment having not auditioned any of their models.

I also would not equate Circuit topologies with the quality of a component. That double Mosfet are used by some amplifiers doesn't mean they sound the same. I am also not certain that within most of the Audio bandwidth, most Pro amps sounds as satisfying as the better High End amplifiers. For the sake of intellectual honesty, I am speculating: I have never conducted such a comparison.

Frantz,

Thanks for the comments. I wasn't aware that any other amp of the time could drive that 0.1 Ohm load. When I spoke to Dan D'Agostino and Dean Roumanis at Krell ( I visited the factory once ), they both told me that the Krell monoblocks were the only amps they recommended in that application. Perhaps there was some "agreement" between the two companies...??!

Lee

nsgarch

Apr 20, 2010
Levinson was not 'bought out' by Harmon International! It was sold out from under Mark, including his name!, by a bunch of disenchanted investors, to Madrigal Audio Labs. Madrigal however, produced EXCELLENT quality products under the ML name, even better designs (with Tom Colangelo) and provided top-notch service right through the mid/late nineties. THEN HK took over and things took a dive. I don't understand how (some of) these holding/umbrella corporations imagine they are going to mint profits on brand name alone. I'm anxious to see what MartinLogan will morph into a year down the road. I'm not optimistic.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing