Perceptually erasing differences

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
You are played two clips: one sounds a hair different. Who wouldn't think, "hmmm, I wonder if there is really no difference here and I am imagining it."

All those who would think they're being asked to identify one or the other and will, therefore, hear one. Frankly, I think that is the much more likely error than the one you've described, unless you're using audiophiles or "trained" listeners who understand what the test is trying to show (and by that I don't mean difference/no difference, I mean that all amps sound the same, etc). In any case, these are precisely the kinds of errors that are overcome by exceeding the statistical margin for error. And this kind of testing has been used successfully for decades in all kinds of A/B identification and preference testing for all kinds of subjective (and otherwise) tastes, touches, sounds, smells, etc. No one has ever come up with a decent reason why audiophile equipment is an exception.

Tim

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
As you know, my approach is practical and concerns the "big picture" mostly. Do not take this to be the same as settling for good enough, though I guess it's related. With that said, if a difference is so small that you're not sure there even is a difference, then who cares? A difference that small will not make a great recording sound bad, nor will it reduce the enjoyment of the music which, as is pointed out by both sides of these debates, is what really matters. And from my perspective as a consumerist, is surely not worth spending thousands of dollars extra for.

--Ethan

Sort of reminds of something I saw on the tv show How I met your mother? How hot does the crazy girl have to be to have you overlook her craziness.? Or to put it another way are you like me who can sleep on the floor with a shoe as your pillow or are you the Princess and the Pea?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing