Hiking, Anyone? You Must Watch This Video.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Man that is crazy. My palms are sweaty from watching it! He must be one of those people with no fear of hight. Precisely the opposite of me!

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Having rock climbed and ice climbed for over 25 years, I can say a few things about that video.

The photographer has hiked that trail many times before.

1. You can tell in the way that he knows what sections of broken walkway are solid to bear weight without pausing.

2. He also knows that higher walking speed brings gyroscopic stability, helping to prevent loss-of-balance falls.

3. He also forgoes clipping into the belay lines strung along the walls. Similar to the Via Ferrata in the Italian Alps, self-belay with the harness > carabiner setup allows amateurs to negotiate otherwise ridiculous sections of terrain.

Having climbed walls just like those pictured many times, it was actually cool to watch another little taste. By the way, climbing all those years pretty much eliminated my fear of heights.

Here's a clip of the Via Ferrata:

Lee

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
I've also been in my share of life threatening situations, not only because of trails like that in the video, but also because of weather. And then of course there is high elevation hiking which may bring altitude sickness even to the best of hikers. When I climbed to the top of Kilimanjaro, on the trail I passed a group coming down which included one person being carried out on a makeshift stretcher. And, finally, there is the unexpected wildlife element, such as the mountain lions when I went backpacking in the Ho rainforest or moose and bear when I went backpacking in Denali Nat'l Park in Alaska.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Ice Climbing

Here's a short video clip of some ice pillar climbing. I finally just sold my ice hammers and crampons last year. I moved to the desert 13 years ago, so that should speak to how much fun this sport can be.

Will Gadd, in the video, is a very accomplished ice climber. Climbing "solo", without rope protection, is only reasonable once a good level of proficiency is achieved. I've soloed some ice and it was quite intense.

Lee

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Here's one more, with the chandelier-style ice stalactites being a particularly interesting challenge. I climbed one pillar that looked like this, and you had to be careful not to strike it too hard. If you did, the entire thing would fall, taking you for a ride of uncertain distance. Near the top, I popped my hammer into a nice spot, only to have ice-cold running water (from behind the ice curtain) shoot through the hole and down my arm and sleeve. Talk about a wake-up! This meant that the entire pillar was not attached to the wall behind it, but was just free-standing.

Lee

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
You know, it's those life threatening adventures that make the best stories to tell your grandchildren...that is, of course, assuming you survive!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing