"Intriguing" audio components that are said to improve sound quality.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

I have been too busy to read all the immensely interesting posts in several no-less interesting threads ... So you will bear with me ..
In looking at the graphs posted by Nyal, I would surmise that the contribution of the Synegistic resonator i,s very, very faint ... I mean, people wearing different clothes are bound to effect in some ways the FR of a given system .. Aren't we to use a colloquial term "splitting hair" to find a difference? I have seen such strenuous protocols to prove there are differences ...indeed there could be .. You scratch a CD and there might be!!! ... In life, in science everything has an effect ... Are all of them perceptible by the human apparatus? I don't see in these graphs anything that would be construed as "correction" others may disagree but ...people ... Is what I am seeing in these graphs .. Correction of any sort ? I would not qualify these as such...

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Interesting that you should mention people wearing the different clothes Frantz. I share your position on this one. Having 3 more people in the room could vary the environment's acoustical properties more than the little bowls. To be honest I was invited to audition the SR versions (not the Frank Tsang ones) in the dealers showroom. Not only were the differences I thought I perceived very small, they were inconsistent. In no way did I think it was better all the time, in fact I felt depending on tracks things got worse. I guess I'm at a point where if you want me to spend big bucks the differences have got to be pretty obvious and that the differences are positive AND consistently so. Well, to each his own. These things just aren't for me. I ended up walking out of the store with a bunch of concert DVDs and a smile on my face.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
The first order of business with this stuff is trying to discern a difference. The second order of business is discerning if it's better. I find it to be a very expensive variation of Dungeons and Dragons.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Interesting that you should mention people wearing the different clothes Frantz. I share your position on this one.
Interesting, indeed. I recall some discussion that went into the design of the current Metropolitan Opera house at Lincoln Center that revolved around the change in dress styles from those in fashion at the time the older house was designed. Apparently, some thought was entailed about the greater decolletage in earlier times affecting acoustics and that there would be less of it now. :)

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Interesting, indeed. I recall some discussion that went into the design of the current Metropolitan Opera house at Lincoln Center that revolved around the change in dress styles from those in fashion at the time the older house was designed. Apparently, some thought was entailed about the greater decolletage in earlier times affecting acoustics and that there would be less of it now. :)

Wow!!! Just think. The next high end audio thingy will be different kinds of clothes to improve imaging, soundstage depth and midrange articulation!!

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Wow!!! Just think. The next high end audio thingy will be different kinds of clothes to improve imaging, soundstage depth and midrange articulation!!

Crazier things have happened before. People used to buy smoking jackets in the old days. What do you want to bet that if you came out with a line of audiphile clothing that claimed to enhance the listening experience that you would sell some?

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com

Paradoxically, the hall sounded warmer with more skin exposed. We know where that could lead.

Ethan Winer

Banned
Jul 8, 2010
New Milford, CT
people wearing different clothes are bound to effect in some ways the FR of a given system

That's a good point. I always explain that it's critical to not move the microphone even 1/4 inch between Before / After tests, but it's just as important to not move anything else including yourself and others in the room. Especially when using an omni microphone as is typical. If you are two feet behind the microphone and move two inches to one side between tests, that will affect reflections getting into the microphone from the rear of the room. Now, Nyal did six tests which hopefully will average out such differences. Unless there were other people in the room who moved around between tests. But still, understanding acoustics and knowing the size of these little bells, it makes sense to me that something other than their presence could account for the small difference measured. When I do comparative tests in the RealTraps lab, the factory guys who help move stuff in and out leave the room each time while I'm running the software.

--Ethan

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The first order of business with this stuff is trying to discern a difference. The second order of business is discerning if it's better. I find it to be a very expensive variation of Dungeons and Dragons.

There's a new topic to debate on, analog dice, pencil and paper vs digital computer RPGs ;) ;) ;)

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I think we're on to something Jack :rolleyes:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing