"Intriguing" audio components that are said to improve sound quality.

JHM

Banned
Jan 20, 2011
Didn't Ethan get banned from the Stereophile forum for his comments about the Synergistic Research Acoustic Room Treatment?

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
No :)
It was for repeatededly missing out the manufacturer statment in his sig (minor thing but was mentioned many times and it did appear now and again - think it depended how argumentative-mood with SP forum rules or posters Ethan felt lol), but importantly combined with persistent argumentative approach-poosting that came to a head with another forum member.
TBH most of us there were gutted with ban for both of them (and for a couple of members many months before that due to very similar reasons), anyway it was not just Ethan but also another who was banned - they had been rather ding-dong posting between them, but hey I enjoyed it and so did a lot of the other posters there :)
Having that vocal totally opposite opinion is what gave SP forum its character :)
Best place to have an argument with JJ and Budha IMO, especially on subjects nothing to do with audio lol, ah loved the discussions on creationism/evolution/etc.
Unfortunately a few of us regulars have not rejoined since the new layout - really tough to follow and read the forum now IMO (sorry JA), but then most go to the website for the articles and reviews and in that case it may be working.

Cheers
Orb

Last edited:

Ethan Winer

Banned
Jul 8, 2010
New Milford, CT
Didn't Ethan get banned from the Stereophile forum for his comments about the Synergistic Research Acoustic Room Treatment?

Yes.

It was for repeatededly missing out the manufacturer statment in his sig

Not true. Months before I was banned, I objected to their insistence that I identify my company in threads having nothing to do with acoustics or other acoustic vendors. But at their insistence I reluctantly identified RealTraps in my posts, adding "but speaking on my own behalf." At the time they banned me I had been using RealTraps in my sig for a long time. So when JA says otherwise he's lying. Most of this is still in the Stereophile forum for anyone to verify.

combined with persistent argumentative approach-poosting that came to a head with another forum member.

The main problem posters were Michigan J. Frog, Ken Hotte, and Jan Vigne. Those three attacked me mercilessly, objecting to everything I said no matter how minor or how silly. The only times I was "offensive" was when someone was offensive to me first. This too is mostly still there in the Stereophile forum archives, and anyone can see for themselves who was offensive first. Pick any 50-page thread :D and start at the beginning. You don't have to read very far to see where the trouble begins and who started the insults and accusations.

As I do here and everywhere else, I am always polite and, more important, I always stay on topic. I admit I am firm, and I sometimes demand someone back up an opinion with proof. But it's always others who derail a thread because they can't prove me wrong on the science and they know it.

--Ethan

JHM

Banned
Jan 20, 2011
Whatever you do, don't ask Ethan about the before and after measurements! ;-

According to JT-

"In my room, with my gear, ART demonstrably (via RTA) smooths out frequency response at the listening seat by (apparently) masking first reflections in the mids and treble and reducing comb-filtering in the bass, in much the same way that Shakti's Hallographs do."

Old Listener

Jul 18, 2010
SF Bay area
naturelover.smugmug.com
The main problem posters were Michigan J. Frog, Ken Hotte, and Jan Vigne. Those three attacked me mercilessly, objecting to everything I said no matter how minor or how silly.... You don't have to read very far to see where the trouble begins and who started the insults and accusations.

As I do here and everywhere else, I am always polite and, more important, I always stay on topic. I admit I am firm, and I sometimes demand someone back up an opinion with proof. But it's always others who derail a thread because they can't prove me wrong on the science and they know it.

I agree with Ethan's characterization of what happened on the Stereophile forum. The problem posters grew increasingly bold in responding to any posting by Ethan and a few others with personal attacks.

My memory is that the forum moderator banned Ethan and one person from the crew who had made endless personal attacks on him. Quite a warped idea of fairness.

The Stereophile forum has become quite dead and the badly managed changeover to new software discouraged a number of people from posting. Too bad.

Bill

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Yes.

Not true. Months before I was banned, I objected to their insistence that I identify my company in threads having nothing to do with acoustics or other acoustic vendors. But at their insistence I reluctantly identified RealTraps in my posts, adding "but speaking on my own behalf." At the time they banned me I had been using RealTraps in my sig for a long time. So when JA says otherwise he's lying. Most of this is still in the Stereophile forum for anyone to verify.

The main problem posters were Michigan J. Frog, Ken Hotte, and Jan Vigne. Those three attacked me mercilessly, objecting to everything I said no matter how minor or how silly. The only times I was "offensive" was when someone was offensive to me first. This too is mostly still there in the Stereophile forum archives, and anyone can see for themselves who was offensive first. Pick any 50-page thread :D and start at the beginning. You don't have to read very far to see where the trouble begins and who started the insults and accusations.

--Ethan
Ethan,
I was involved in the same threads that saw you and Frog banned, which was the last straw.
http://www.stereophile.com/content/ethan-winer-michigan-j-frog-banned-1

Sorry if you see it differently, but I do have an advantage of having an outside perspective, whether Frog was baiting you is a different story and quite possible, afterall he went too far many times with JJ.
However others felt quite a lot of the comments you made on what you saw as snake oil was also baiting.
But as I said, many of us preferred if the ban was not done (has comments from SM and JA in there as well):
http://www.stereophile.com/content/banning-1

Thanks
Orb

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
Now there's a Before / After RTA graph I'd love to see! I wonder why he didn't post it?

--Ethan

I actually DID measure a room recently with and without those Synergistic Research metallic resonating prayer spheres or whatever they are called. I have the impulse responses so we could do all kinds of crazy analysis with them. I'll post up the frequency response differences later today.

Ethan Winer

Banned
Jul 8, 2010
New Milford, CT
I actually DID measure a room recently with and without those Synergistic Research metallic resonating prayer spheres or whatever they are called. I have the impulse responses so we could do all kinds of crazy analysis with them. I'll post up the frequency response differences later today.

What software did you use? I'd love to access the actual files if I have the software. I have ETF, R+D, and REW. Otherwise, Before / After frequency response graphs are great, and waterfalls are even better. Also please describe the room, and confirm that the measurements were taken one right after the other with the measuring microphone not moved even 1/4 inch.

Thanks! I look forward to seeing some actual data.

--Ethan

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Is there any other hobby that has the equivalent of the "crap" (Oops. That would be an editorial comment) that has been listed in this thread? I have never heard of many of these "thingies".

But if I were in the business of "building" and selling high end audio snake oil, the first person I would go to test it would be Jonathan Valin (and maybe one person who visits WBF)

Last edited:

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
With and without measurements of Synergistics ART system or whatever it is called.

There are three measurements for each of with and without. Measurements were taken with ARTA in an untreated room sized 15'3 x 22'3 x 9'11. Ethan I'll export the measurements as WAVs after the holiday (I'm off to snowboard the 3ft of fresh powder that dumped in Lake Tahoe) and send them to you via email.

Ethan Winer

Banned
Jul 8, 2010
New Milford, CT
No need to send me Wave files. This is about what I expected. Actually it's more change than I expected, so I'm glad you did three runs of each! How many resonators were in the room, and where were they? Most important, how close were they to the measuring microphone? Also, can you post waterfalls? Maybe there are some resonances added by the resonators, which makes sense given that "resonator" is the entire product concept. :D

--Ethan

Ethan Winer

Banned
Jul 8, 2010
New Milford, CT
I was involved in the same threads that saw you and Frog banned, which was the last straw.

I'm sure your perception of the events is different than mine. But the core truth about my including RealTraps in my posts is as I stated, and that's easy to verify. Following those linked threads, the division along partisan lines is clear. Those who don't like what I have to say about audio were glad to see me be banned, and those having a better scientific knowledge told Stephen to apologize to me and reinstate my account. :D

--Ethan

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
I'm sure your perception of the events is different than mine. But the core truth about my including RealTraps in my posts is as I stated, and that's easy to verify. Following those linked threads, the division along partisan lines is clear. Those who don't like what I have to say about audio were glad to see me be banned, and those having a better scientific knowledge told Stephen to apologize to me and reinstate my account. :D

--Ethan

Well,
lets be honest and something I am grateful for, JJ is just as biased as the rest of us :)
Even those following scientific path get caught up in biases (more than the demanding an apology but other threads,etc - I am always very interested in bias and debiasing, SP was a great place to have fun and watch that as well due to everyone not being a shy lad or lass and I include myself in that :) )
If you want to compare someone who manages least biased posting in general (you may find the occasional biased post but it is incredibly rare), look to JA and Kal who are the most balanced posters I have seen over the years - looking for biases and techniques in managing it makes it interested to follow discussions they partake in.

Ethan, the rest of us on SP were never that balanced bud including me :)
Cheers
Orb

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
No need to send me Wave files. This is about what I expected. Actually it's more change than I expected, so I'm glad you did three runs of each! How many resonators were in the room, and where were they? Most important, how close were they to the measuring microphone? Also, can you post waterfalls? Maybe there are some resonances added by the resonators, which makes sense given that "resonator" is the entire product concept. :D

--Ethan

I think there were 6 resonators in the room and the nearest was maybe 10ft away from the mic. I will have a look at the waterfalls although I have a feeling that resonances due to speaker / room will make it difficult to see what is going on.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing