Berkeley vs. DCS Debussy vs. etc.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I heard the Berkley, and although a great value, I don't think it's on the same level as the elite cd players. The Meridian 808.2 had a lot more depth and space around the instruments, while the Berkley sounded flatter in comparison.
What was driving it?

caesar

May 30, 2010
What was driving it?

I belive the system was berkley / meridian -> pass pre and amp -> big focals. We adjusted the volume to make things even, but that dimensionality and depth were the hallmark of Meridian.

Interestingly, I compared the dCS debussy to an Ayre c5 mp (with dcs driven by the Ayre's transport), and it was similar phenomena: more depth for the dcs player.

Morbius

May 29, 2010
amir,

The European "enviro-nazis" have been on the warpath against lead for years. The next element
they'd like to ban is chlorine. All you Europeans had better stock up on salt ( sodium chloride ).
They don't know that "elements" don't have toxic or chemical properties in and of themselves.
Compounds have chemical properties.

Chlorine gas is very toxic. But those same chlorine atoms when combined with sodium [ an evil actor
itself in solitary form ] gives you common table salt - a very benign and non-toxic compound. The
"enviro-nazis" need to study some high school chemistry.

Solder for electronics is an alloy of Tin and Lead in a 63% Tin / 37% Lead mixture. This is the
"eutectic" composition. Look at the phase diagram for tin / lead at ( about half way down the page ):

http://store.curiousinventor.com/guides/how_to_solder/kind_of_solder/

The upper region labeled "liquid" shows all the combinations of temperature / mixture at which the
solder is melted.

The liquid region dips to its lowest point in temperature with a 63% / 37% mixture. That is the eutectic -
the alloy of Tin and Lead with the lowest melting point.

You'd like solder with a low melting point since heat is the enemy of all those chips and circuit components
that the solder is connecting.

Greg

WDW

May 24, 2011
BC, Canada
Recently purchased the Berkeley Alpha DAC (from Madrona, btw) and we are simply shocked and delighted by the presentation. We're slow to make changes to our system so expected some improvement (our earlier digital product was a Levinson 39, owned since new) as digital ages quickly but this product bounces with music....dynamic, articulate and warm.
WDW

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Recently purchased the Berkeley Alpha DAC (from Madrona, btw) and we are simply shocked and delighted by the presentation. We're slow to make changes to our system so expected some improvement (our earlier digital product was a Levinson 39, owned since new) as digital ages quickly but this product bounces with music....dynamic, articulate and warm.
WDW

Congrats on the purchase. Amir is a great host!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks for your business WDW. So great to hear that you are happy with the unit.

Bruce, thanks for the kind words as always :).

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ

WDW

May 24, 2011
BC, Canada
waiting to read/hear the Alpha USB

Thanks for your business WDW. So great to hear that you are happy with the unit.

Bruce, thanks for the kind words as always :).

Two items for me...Power Cords for my new little DAC...in particular Shunyata and whether they would improve on things and, of course, the USB thingy.

Please, Dear Fellows,
Your comments.
WDW

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
"the USB thingy"... as they say in New York.. fuggedaboutit.... Can't believe they're charging that much for their "thingy". Oh.. maybe I can.

Powercords?.. you'll get more benefit from isolating what you plug it in to. Get a dedicated line or even a UPS or powerconditioner to keep it off the other noise makers.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Two items for me...Power Cords for my new little DAC...in particular Shunyata and whether they would improve on things and, of course, the USB thingy.

Please, Dear Fellows,
Your comments.
WDW
I am not a power cord guy :). So I will comment on the USB bridge. The one in our showroom is powered by Audiophilleo USB to S/PDIF bridge. I tested it without it and the bridge definitely makes an improvement. We have the Berkeley unit on order but unfortunately there is a delay in production so it will be a few more weeks. For now, the Audiophilleo can be had for $500. I would certainly put more money toward this part than the power cord :).

Oh, I do have something to add on the power front. :) I have one of the older PS Audio programmable power regenerators. I was pleasantly surprised to see it make no difference with Berkeley and Audiophilleo. So power sensitivity is quite low in these products if it exists at all. BTW, on my old Mark Levinson DAC, there is was an improvement with the PS Audio.

WDW

May 24, 2011
BC, Canada
my old DAC ?

I am not a power cord guy :). So I will comment on the USB bridge. The one in our showroom is powered by Audiophilleo USB to S/PDIF bridge. I tested it without it and the bridge definitely makes an improvement. We have the Berkeley unit on order but unfortunately there is a delay in production so it will be a few more weeks. For now, the Audiophilleo can be had for $500. I would certainly put more money toward this part than the power cord :).

Oh, I do have something to add on the power front. :) I have one of the older PS Audio programmable power regenerators. I was pleasantly surprised to see it make no difference with Berkeley and Audiophilleo. So power sensitivity is quite low in these products if it exists at all. BTW, on my old Mark Levinson DAC, there is was an improvement with the PS Audio.

the ole 39?

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi WDW,

I also have a Berkeley Alpha DAC. My favorite power cord for it is the Sensory Power power cord. I also like the sound most when the Berkeley is driving the power amps directly.

WDW

May 24, 2011
BC, Canada
it is quite lovely, isn't it....forget the audiophile BS...happy listening ...eom

Thanks for your comments concerning the power cord...I also use the DAC directly into my amp
Hi WDW,

I also have a Berkeley Alpha DAC. My favorite power cord for it is the Sensory Power power cord. I also like the sound most when the Berkeley is driving the power amps directly.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing