Berkeley vs. DCS Debussy vs. etc.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks Greg. My question was the interconnect between the Mac and the DACs. Did they use Toslink? If so, I am only using the Berkeley with an async USB to S/PDIF converter and not with Toslink. In my careful testing, the adapter makes a significant difference in fidelity (on two Mark Levinson DACs I tested). So to the extent the dCS was running in async mode and Berkeley was not, I am not surprised to hear a preference in favor of dCS. I have only configured the Berkeley and tested it that way, not with direct connect.

The adapter I use is only $500 so it doesn't add much to the cost of the Berkeley (Audiophilleo). I have tested this little box even with low-end DACs and I continue to be amazed at the difference it makes. The engineer in me can't explain it :). But an asynch USB with good isolation is a required component in my book when connecting to a PC.

So if you have not listened to this combo, give it a try. If not, plan to be in Seattle area and I will show it to you :).

Morbius

May 29, 2010
Thanks Greg. My question was the interconnect between the Mac and the DACs. Did they use Toslink?

amirm,

I don't know exactly how the Berkeley was connected to the server, only that it was a form of S/PDIF.
The dCS Debussy was connected to the server via USB using the Debussy's async USB capability.

Greg

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Glad you're having a great time with the Berkeley. I didn't have much luck with it. I tested it against the Playback, DAD AX24, PM2, MH/Sonic 305 and dCS 955. I believe both Winston and Mike tried it also. Just didn't do it for me.

IMHO the Berkeley folks are waayyyy too optimistic that it will sound great a couple hours out of the box, and fabulous after 24hours burn-in. It didn't do it for me until it had 4 days of continuous burning-in. Music during office hours, and the IsoTek burn-in disc overnight. I was quite concerned because I had borrowed one to use at CES, and they shipped it to me less than a week before I had to ship it out for CES. Even at CES, after being in the box for 2 weeks, it sounded lean, lifeless and un-dynamic until we had put another 3 days continuous time on it. However, when well warmed up, it's probably one of the best DACs I've heard in my own room.....

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
I have tested this little box even with low-end DACs and I continue to be amazed at the difference it makes.
Not to me. As I noted in another post, the digital signal being fed to a D/A at some point has to to be treated as an analogue signal, and because much of the processing circuitry in DAC's is often not as well sorted out as it can be, the cleaner the signals going into the DAC casework, the better. I note on the Audiophilleo website they make a fetish of reducing the phase noise, which will certainly help the input side of the DAC: it doesn't have to work as hard, getting rid of any muck still there ...

Frank

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
However, when well warmed up, it's probably one of the best DACs I've heard in my own room.....
Gary, I wonder if you have experimented with different types of signal input for conditioning DAC's? I note that many D/A converters incorporate capacitor actions, and personally I find driving capacitors hard with the highest frequency signals is a good way of getting them up to the mark ...

A test signal of maximum level, say, 18kHz continuous is possibly worth trying ...

Frank

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
IMHO the Berkeley folks are waayyyy too optimistic that it will sound great a couple hours out of the box, and fabulous after 24hours burn-in. It didn't do it for me until it had 4 days of continuous burning-in. Music during office hours, and the IsoTek burn-in disc overnight. I was quite concerned because I had borrowed one to use at CES, and they shipped it to me less than a week before I had to ship it out for CES. Even at CES, after being in the box for 2 weeks, it sounded lean, lifeless and un-dynamic until we had put another 3 days continuous time on it. However, when well warmed up, it's probably one of the best DACs I've heard in my own room.....

Yes, it apparently takes a long time to reach the intended idle currents; I wonder why...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Even at CES, after being in the box for 2 weeks, it sounded lean, lifeless and un-dynamic until we had put another 3 days continuous time on it. However, when well warmed up, it's probably one of the best DACs I've heard in my own room.....

Gary,
As far as I know the Berkeley alpha DAC only has SPDIF inputs. What is the best way to use it with an USB PC running Windows XP professional?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Berkeley tunes the DAC after running for a week. I wonder then whether its performance is tied to that temperature range and level of stabilization. Ours is always powered on and by the time I got to it, someone else had played with it for a few weeks. So I don't have any experience with it cold and out of the box.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
The Alpha also has an AES/EBU input which is the preferred connection due to its high bandwidth.

And a little interesting factoid, according to some reputable sources a while ago, is that one of the reasons the Alpha was not available in Europe for some time is because they couldn't use the same [presumably superior] solder they use in the US, due to some regulations... and replacements didn't sound the same - don't know what happened in the end, but it appears the attention to detail is fanatical.

Finally, it's been posted before that they are coming up with their own USB->AES/EBU converter "soon"

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
And a little interesting factoid, according to some reputable sources a while ago, is that one of the reasons the Alpha was not available in Europe for some time is because they couldn't use the same [presumably superior] solder they use in the US, due to some regulations... and replacements didn't sound the same - don't know what happened in the end, but it appears the attention to detail is fanatical.
You can add me to those reputable sources :). I heard the above when I spoke to Michael Ritter last year as they were trying to solve it. The RoHS regulation in EU essentially requires lead-free solder and they sensed a definite drop in performance using substitute solder.

Finally, it's been posted before that they are coming up with their own USB->AES/EBU converter "soon"
No comment :).

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Gary,
As far as I know the Berkeley alpha DAC only has SPDIF inputs. What is the best way to use it with an USB PC running Windows XP professional?

I haven't heard the Audiophileo that Amir used. I used the Weiss INT202 or the Minerva to interface firewire with the Alpha DAC. I didn't find a difference in operation or sound with both. I'm waiting for my M2Tech EVO to get here so that I can try USB to S/PDIF.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Gary, I wonder if you have experimented with different types of signal input for conditioning DAC's? I note that many D/A converters incorporate capacitor actions, and personally I find driving capacitors hard with the highest frequency signals is a good way of getting them up to the mark ...

A test signal of maximum level, say, 18kHz continuous is possibly worth trying ...

Frank

I don't know if it will make a difference, but I don't condition anything with a single frequency or type of signal because conceptually, it might condition the gear for that frequency. I don't know if this is snake-oil, but I find some conditioning discs better than others. The one I currently like is the IsoTek disc. Esoteric has an OEM version that is supposedly better for DACs and players. My current conditioning signal is the IsoTek disc upsampled via SoX to 176.4kHz.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
The Alpha also has an AES/EBU input which is the preferred connection due to its high bandwidth.

You're probably correct. When I did my A/D/A loop test, I found that with coax S/PDIF, the best sound I got was at 24/96. Since the phono stage I used did not have AES/EBU output, I couldn't try the loop at the higher resolution.

Morbius

May 29, 2010
b) their filter must be software-based and running on that SHARC processor, and as such potentially better than "apodising" or whatever - this may also apply to the dCS as well. I personally perceive the Alpha as an extremely sophisticated device.
ack,

The Meridian apodising filter is doing something that the Alpha filter is not even attempting. The Meridian
apodising filter has a null at the frequency of the anti-alias filter used in the ADC, the analog to digital conversion. as part of the recording process.
The apodising filter is correcting the distortions introduced by the ADC filter. The Alpha DAC and their HDCD
processing, as with most DACs, is not even attempting to address or correct distortions introduced by the ADC.

From the portion of the HDCD patent that you quote, it sounds like HDCD encoded material is
recorded with a filter that doesn't introduce pre-ringing. Hence, there is no need for the
correction of the apodising filter on material that was originally encoded as per HDCD

Greg

Last edited:

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I don't think I agree with this.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
You can add me to those reputable sources :). I heard the above when I spoke to Michael Ritter last year as they were trying to solve it. The RoHS regulation in EU essentially requires lead-free solder and they sensed a definite drop in performance using substitute solder.

We are going to the RoHS lead-free solder standard too right here in the U.S. as it is the politically correct/environmentally correct thing to do. Too bad lead free solder will grow tin whiskers and short out your electronics over time. There was a reason why we went to the mixture of lead/tin that we used in our solder-it works. Certain military programs are exempt from having to use the lead free solder because some people realize it's better to have something you can depend on than something you know won't work long term. I don't know a single electrical engineer who thinks lead free solder is a good idea.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

No comment :).

Sometime ago I was very interested by the Alpha DAC - the only way of getting it in Europe would be a personal import from Switzerland that is not part of EC. However, as it does not carry a EC approbation seal bringing it out and in the country again if warranty service is needed would be almost impossible and I gave up the idea of getting it. :(

caesar

May 30, 2010
I heard the Berkley, and although a great value, I don't think it's on the same level as the elite cd players. The Meridian 808.2 had a lot more depth and space around the instruments, while the Berkley sounded flatter in comparison.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing