Not exactly "vintage" but Dunlavy's literally rock

dafos

Sep 17, 2010
Any other current or previous Dunlavy owners out there?

The local audio research dealer is a big dunleavy fan and I've heard his restored sovereign and princess models which I believe were the top of the line models. Very musical sounding speakers that avoid the hyper detailed nature of some of the latest cutting edge designs. Very difficult to drive though, and warm and dark in overall character coupled with a very transparent and palpable mid band. These two models project very lifelike size images and an immense soundstage, which is to be expected given the size and weight of these speakers.

ualjoe

Sep 5, 2013
He was an uncompromising person. I found him refreshing and brilliant. I miss him!
I still have my SC 2's and SC 1's. They will stay in my family forever!

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
Well when someone walks into your room and introduces himself by asking who the phock are you , its kinda hard not to want to bounce him out..... :)

Hell of an engineer ..yes , thorny basturd ....yes .....:)

JD was ill in his later years. I don't think it's right for me to discuss the nature of the issue, but I will say that it effected his perception, as well as his interactions with others.

I'm a big Dunlavy fan. Not planning on replacing my SCIVs. Ever.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
JD was ill in his later years. I don't think it's right for me to discuss the nature of the issue, but I will say that it effected his perception, as well as his interactions with others.

I'm a big Dunlavy fan. Not planning on replacing my SCIVs. Ever.

I too am a huge fan. I was a dealer for 5 years and thought he was the most straight forward, no-nonsense, all science, brilliant audio guy I ever met and his wife was a sweet heart. I still have a pair of SC-I's and they still hold their own. I owned VI's for a long, long time, and with the exception of the power handling of the tweeter, thought it was the best overall speaker available for a very long time.

And at the end, John was not the former John but still a lovable guy. They wanted me to buy the business but Dunlavy Audio without John Dunlavy was not much.

I miss him.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I had a pair of the small Dunlavy speakers for a long-time demo at home (like 6 months), they shined with classical/orchestral material like few speakers could.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Duntech Sovereigns - GREAT.
Had them for about 20 years.
GONE -?why? Size & Weight.
Moving them across the country, then moving again locally, and I was contemplating another move 3 years ago.
NO DAMAGE in 2 moves, but the 3rd move could be the charm [negative].

Replacement: I started building my own speakers with choice components, and each driver separate for moving ability.

zz.

jazzkids

Feb 25, 2014
Dunlavy III Owner

Any other current or previous Dunlavy owners out there?

I am late to the party but I have owned my Dunlavy III speakers since 2006 and in my opinion, they are great speakers and some of the best I have heard.

I briefly tried a pair of Dunlavy IV speakers and was able to A-B them for a two month period and for my listening room 15' x 25' the Dunlavy III won out over the Dunlavy IV. A much better image and presence to my ears and likes for my room.....

going back to the old school, I have several sets of various EPI speakers I use in my basement listening area and I have been an EPI speaker fan since back in their beginning. I love my EPI's but I adore the Dunlavy III speakers....

theophile

If they literally rock: Have you tried stabilising them?

greg986547

Jul 2, 2014
One of my first audio systems was an Audio Research ref 1 pre amp, with Coda (Legacy) 400W mono blocs and a pair of Dunlavy SC IVa's ...... I didnt know what I had and sold them off. I have yet to match the way those speakers were able to envelop you in the music.... Started looking for another pair a couple months ago and would appreciate any leads you guys might have

IR Guy

Nov 27, 2014
Raleigh, NC
Hello folks - I found this forum and thread while looking for a source to help me get the four woofers in my Dunlavy SC-IV's repaired. Just pulled the front screens off for the first time in years and noticed that two have holes in the surround, one looks semi ok and one is really, pretty much, toast. The pair has been with me since 1995 and I will never have anything else** assuming I can get things fixed right.

What's the word on the street? Has anyone had a similar experience and with a happy ending? I have discovered several speaker repair services via Google but have no confidence without a solid, independent referral that any of them will be able to get the units back to the original "state of tune." Help.

** Like many of you I have had and heard many different speaker configurations over the years and that said, I have never heard anything that comes close to the amazing tuneage that comes from the Dunlavys - for the money or otherwise! Copperhead Road still gives me goosebumps.........

Later - Bob aka IR Guy

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
You may find a local >>> recone <<< speaker repair shop. Recone shops are very common due to people overdriving with electric guitars. To maintain the original sound, you do NOT want a recone; you want ONLY the surround replaced with very similiar material. If you ever have to replace the cone, you want one that is the same material, stiffness, weight, pattern, etc. If the Dunlavys have the same mounting as Dunntech Sovereigns, the woofers are easy to dismount.
Check out the shop before taking your woofers. When you do, package them in properly sized & taped double-wall boxes. Write the speaker description on all sides [large] with your contact info.
Worse comes to worse, replace the surround yourself [Google].
Happy Thanksgiving,
zz.

donniewn

Dec 6, 2014
dunlavys sound great

I have a pair of sc II a's,the lowest form of dunlavy.little short on bass but that's the norm in bookshelf type speakers,even though they are twice the size of most bookshelf.i really want the larger duns...

Van L. Hayhow

Jan 12, 2015
My wife and I have the SCIIs in the living room. It is a small house and the bass is excellent. We have the SCIs in the bedroom. Never trading either in.

donniewn

Dec 6, 2014
Nice to hear I'm not the only one with scII's,they have a sweet sound.he made a fine speaker for the time ,I imagine they were about the best speaker made.I will keep these until my wallet gets fat enough for better speakers.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
There's a mastering engineer in Portland that wants to get rid of an excellent pair of SC-IVa's if anyone is interested.

CounterReset

Feb 28, 2015
Probably the newest owner on here as I have purchased my first pair of Dunlavy SC-IVa's along with a SC-SI Subwoofer. Won't even be picking them up for another couple of weeks. Had a pair of Martin Logan ReQuest speakers for a short period prior, but had to return them to the previous owner due to an unidentifiable buzzing radiating from one of the cabinets on heavy bass tones.

I've been filling in the waiting time reading up on all the high praise. Going on vacation for a couple weeks and already looking forward to coming back.

Kev_Rat

Mar 30, 2015
Another new owner here
Love reading the stories about these creations and their developer.

I have recently managed to come by 2 pair of Duntech, A pair of PCL-500 Marquis and a pair of PCL-1100 Princess. Both are ion fabulous condition and all drivers and surrounds appear to be perfect.
The Princess have been in place now for just a couple of weeks and are the best speakers I have heard, pretty much ever, they seem to do everything brilliantly.

The Princess have more presence and bass, but the Marquis seem to image perhaps a little better in my listening room - some decluttering will fix that Im sure.
The Princess also have the Rosewood finish which is very nice. (Strangely the tops are not highly polished - but no one in my house can see the tops unless they get on a ladder so no issue). they are also very stable on a good set of casters - essential to move them about
My previous favoured speakers is a set of Infintity RS4.5, with the Graz and more powerful magnet upgrades to the EMIMs. While the infinities are excellent with brilliant imaging, the Duntechs appear to be in a higher class and do it all just a bit better.
I have the manual that came with the Marquis, but unfortunatly not the Princess - If anyone has a copy they could post, it would be much appreciated.
Driving them is a Krell FBP-600C which has no trouble at all.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing