The “ultimate audio experience"

JHM

Banned
Jan 20, 2011
"our guest Mark Seaton of Seaton Sound, Inc. in discussing and sharing your quest for the ultimate audio experience."

Mark, I’m looking for “ultimate audio experience” in my music only listening room.

Have all my analog & digital front end gear. Room is 12’ x 19’ x 8’.

What do you recommend for speakers and amps?

Mark Seaton

WBF Technical Expert (Speaker & Acoustics)
May 21, 2010
Chicago, IL
www.seatonsound.net
"our guest Mark Seaton of Seaton Sound, Inc. in discussing and sharing your quest for the ultimate audio experience."

Mark, I’m looking for “ultimate audio experience” in my music only listening room.

Have all my analog & digital front end gear. Room is 12’ x 19’ x 8’.

What do you recommend for speakers and amps?

I'd first suggest sharing with us where you are coming from and some examples of qualities you have enjoyed speaker/amp systems you have heard, and what you are potentially looking for more of? Being a loudspeaker manufacturer myself I try to stick to suggestions for consideration rather than single/specific recommendations where other manufacturers are concerned, but that depends on the situation. There may be a chance some of my own products or those coming soon would be of interest, but my guess is they might not be the right personality for a strictly 2ch room, especially as none of mine are designed intentionally as full range from a single speaker but an upcoming floor standing model will allow that use.

I would also ask what are the acoustics of your room like? Is adding or changing treatment an option? Am I correct to assume you are listening on the long dimension of the room?

JHM

Banned
Jan 20, 2011
I'd first suggest sharing with us where you are coming from and some examples of qualities you have enjoyed speaker/amp systems you have heard, and what you are potentially looking for more of? Being a loudspeaker manufacturer myself I try to stick to suggestions for consideration rather than single/specific recommendations where other manufacturers are concerned, but that depends on the situation. There may be a chance some of my own products or those coming soon would be of interest, but my guess is they might not be the right personality for a strictly 2ch room, especially as none of mine are designed intentionally as full range from a single speaker but an upcoming floor standing model will allow that use.

I would also ask what are the acoustics of your room like? Is adding or changing treatment an option? Am I correct to assume you are listening on the long dimension of the room?

I'm looking for that effortless sound I hear at live performances.

Don't have any speakers right now, and I haven't heard any of the ultimate hiend speakers discussed
on this forum.

The room seems pretty neutral to me based on the sound of acoustic instruments played in the room.
I can add or change treatment. Yes, I'll be listening on the long dimension.

Last edited:

JHM

Banned
Jan 20, 2011
I guess you're unable to provide any recommendations.

Good luck with your forum.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I think he gave recommendations, but you need to provide more info. What systems have you had and heard in the past, what speakers have you used, etc.etc. Seaton provides mostly speakers and subwoofers, I believe, and it is impossible to just give a free consultation without more specific input from you.
Most audiophiles have a history of systems, preferences, and goals. Until you are more specific in a statement of your history and goals, then nobody can really do anything for you.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
JHM,

That's a little unfair to give up so quickly on Mark. Remember, he operates his own manufacturing company and cannot be here every moment of every day. I've found Mark to be polite and extremely interested in providing sound advice.

Perhaps this would go more efficiently if you'd provide some of the following:

1. What is the construction of your room? While you stated that acoustic instruments sounded pretty neutral, there can still be huge variances in bass performance between identically-sized rooms (which tremendously affects "live" feel).

2. What types of music do you prefer to listen to, and at what volumes? To achieve live levels in a room your size, it's important to know what type of music you're attempting to reproduce. A solo acoustic guitar will not require the same approach as live-level techno music, etc.

3. What type(s) of speakers have you heard in the past? Have you been impressed by any particular speaker in the past? A little more information here would be helpful.

4. What kind of budget are you allocating to this project?

Your first post is like someone saying, "I want to have a driving experience like an Indy 500 race. What do you recommend?" There are simply too many variables to offer anything constructive.

Lee

Mark Seaton

WBF Technical Expert (Speaker & Acoustics)
May 21, 2010
Chicago, IL
www.seatonsound.net
I'm looking for that effortless sound I hear at live performances.

Don't have any speakers right now, and I haven't heard any of the ultimate hiend speakers discussed
on this forum.

The room seems pretty neutral to me based on the sound of acoustic instruments played in the room.
I can add or change treatment. Yes, I'll be listening on the long dimension.

I guess you're unable to provide any recommendations.

Good luck with your forum.

Hi JHM,

I could/would readily suggest you would be pretty impressed with the lifelike dynamics of a system like audioguy here has assembled using my own powered Catalyst loudspeakers and 4 SubMersives integrated with a Tact 2.2 room correction system. For a room your size I would suggest 2 SubMersives will be plenty. Audioguy and the few who have heard his system can chime in, but lifelike dynamics and effortless sound flow wonderfully from his system, as I can attest to personally from my last visit. While added visibility is welcome, my primary purpose here is not to pitch my own speakers, and some might want to go a different route in components and configuration than what audioguy has taken.

Where are you located? Do you have any other enthusiasts or dealers near you where you can go hear some different loudspeakers to establish some preferences or dislikes? How about some impressions of less exotic gear than commonly discussed here? What might you like or dislike about what you have heard?

With the info you have given, I'd suggest you go hear a few speakers and try to include some examples from TAD, PMC, large Magnepans/ESLs or line sources, and some of the big conventional driver designs like Wilson, Rockport, Magico, etc. From what you've described, I suspect you would be highly impressed with the TAD Reference One if in a good acoustic setting, but that is just one of many possibilities.

JHM

Banned
Jan 20, 2011
Mr. Seaton,

Thanks for taking the time to give me some recommendations.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
While Mark's current speaker lines require subs, there turn out to be a huge advantage to that in most rooms - and that is to optimally place the main speakers for best imaging and the subs for best bass response.

I came from using two very full range speakers to Mark's Catalysts and subs so have experience in both approaches.

The system provide HUGE scale and virtually unlimited dynamics. We recently played a recorded Bluray concert at reference levels and I have NEVER heard a speaker hold up under those kinds of SPL's and not come apart. His don't.

They may or may not be your "cup of tea" but they are a fine and fun speaker to own.

JHM

Banned
Jan 20, 2011
audioguy,

Thanks for your feedback.

Glad to learn that you enjoy Mr. Seaton's speakers, but as you say, they're not my "cup of tea."

I will try to listen to his other recommendations.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
If there is interest, I would be willing to share a very rare opportunity I had in 1977 that still stands as the best sound I have ever heard in my entire 50+ year audio hobby time including 30+ CES's and many $100K+ systems. I heard the fabled John Iverson Force Field system and his strain gauge Decca cartridge using the best test pressing (4 copies total)I have ever heard from Ken Kreisel of M&K fame in John's lab. The only thing that would delay me from sharing this is that Harry Pearson is allegedly planning on publishing a story on this experience in Absolute Sound. If Harry does not follow through with this interview in the near future I will publish it here if there is interest. If he does publish the interview, I will still offer a version and answer any questions.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Mobiusman,

Yes, please post if you dont see it elsewhere. would be interested in reading about it...sounds interesting.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
I will publish the story regardless of Harry Pearson's decision, but want to give him the chance to respond. As of yesterday, he said he definitely wants to interview the 3 of us who spent 12 hours with Iverson that amazing night, but HP sometimes takes a while to get around to things, so I will lean on him to get it done sooner than later. Needless to say, the experience massively exceeded all of the hype surrounding the alleged speakers and cartridge and you will eventually read about it here on the WBF.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great!!! Thanks...look forward to it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing