Rare Studer A816 on eBay

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Existence of the Studer A816 was questioned by many Studer aficionados and later confirmed by the man, Martin Berner, in one of the original Studer List discussions.

Now, I just heard from a seller in Germany, Sandro, whom I had bought another rare Digitech F500 tape recorder also made in Germany that works with magnetic coating on the outside.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Studer-A816-Mas...01992941?pt=Bandmaschinen&hash=item27b8abd2ed

From the photos of the A816, it came from the same source - probably a radio station. If you would notice, A816 is also configured to have the tape loaded with magnetic coating on the outside.
Technically, it's a mix of A820 transport control - probably a modification of A812 and same audio section with A820, A812, and A810.

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Boy, it is pretty clean for something used in a radio station. Is 700 hours too little or too much for a deck?

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Boy, it is pretty clean for something used in a radio station. Is 700 hours too little or too much for a deck?

Hi Amir:

Although the runtime hour meter could have been disconnected to during its working life, judging from few things:

1) no yellowing of the pushbutton legends (they can be replaced...but knowing Sandro, he won't go through the trouble...)
2) no noticable wear on tape guides (it's a sure give a way if the guides show heavy wears... even if the heads looks new...)
3) depends on the head material on A816, if it could show about 1/8" wide flat spots with ~700 hours on them. But just looking at the photo, the heads look new.
5) no mirror polish on capstan (I have mixed opinion on this issue but the capstan condition for Studer matches hours on the machine, IMHO)
6) no razor marks on headcover and the splicing section (to show someone at the radio station had enough sense not to abuse the machine)
7) the cards are all later version of .81 and higher - meaning either someone updated them or is an early 90's machine - maybe one of the last analog machines from Studer before folding the tent..

I would think ~700 hours on the machine is legit and is very low hours.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Hi Amir:

Although the runtime hour meter could have been disconnected to during its working life, judging from few things:

1) no yellowing of the pushbutton legends (they can be replaced...but knowing Sandro, he won't go through the trouble...)

Ki,

Have you dealt with Sandro? I may pursue one of his offerings. If possible, would you please contact me offline? Thanks :cool:

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
It seems someone bought the A816 for $4094. Unfortunately, if the buyer is in NA, he/she would add another $1000 for packing, palletizing and shipping...

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Wow

It seems someone bought the A816 for $4094. Unfortunately, if the buyer is in NA, he/she would add another $1000 for packing, palletizing and shipping...

Big bread!

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
I needed a double-take...

Big deck. You only get lucky sometimes.

It's kind of a trip to see the tape loaded like that for a Studer! Sure looks clean, though:cool:

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
plus the expense of new hub adapters and having to thread every tape you own inside-out

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing