Controlling IR Devices via iPad

Mark Seaton

WBF Technical Expert (Speaker & Acoustics)
May 21, 2010
Chicago, IL
www.seatonsound.net
Does anyone have any experience with this:

http://thinkflood.com/products/redeye/

Lee

Hi Lee,

I hadn't looked closely at the Red Eye system too much before, but it does look like a iPad/iTouch savy alternate to a Harmony remote. One concern would be that the station appears to be the blaster, so it would have to be placed in a line of sight position to all of the gear. In a 2ch system this might not be a problem. In a home theater it is more likely to be an issue. If the line of sight to the station and doing all of the button setup on the iPad isn't an issue, I'd say it looks like a well packaged option.

With full disclaimer that I'm friend's with one of the co-founders (Itai), I would also suggest checking out the iRule application. With the hardware it should be similar or lesser cost, where they also have many features being added in the future. All control commands work over your network and either connect directly to components with control over Ethernet port, or a network device (wired or wireless) is added which can provide IR and RS-232 options. You configure the system in any web browser, and never download any software, just sync to the network through your account once you're done.

mat

Apr 8, 2011
You might want to try square connects, SQ Blaster and SQ Remote

Hi,

You may want to look at http://www.squareconnect.com. We have an iPhone/iPad app and a wifi IR blaster combination. It includes two full device databases including a lot of the hard to find discrete on/off codes. The software can also control Mios home control gateways allowing you to seamless control AV equipment, lights, heating, security etc.

Just to be on the up and up, I am one of the founders of Square Connect, so there is a vested interest <grin>.

wgscott

Sep 1, 2011
CA (USA)
Does anyone have any experience with this:

http://thinkflood.com/products/redeye/

Lee

I wasted several hours today looking at various options.

Two major advantages I can see for this are

(1) it can run on a PC or Mac (in a web browser) in addition to the usual iPad/iPod/iPhone interface.
(2) Scriptability. It uses a language called Lua, which I had never heard of, but it looks like it has a nice clear syntax that doesn't suck (from the point of view of someone who barely knows how to write python code).

The major disadvantage I can see of the $200 option at least is the emitter thingie. If this used the global cache hardware, I would be all over it.

Of those that do, I looked at iRule and Roomie. Roomie looks rather compelling, but i could find no evidence that either would permit me to do any controlling from a web browser on my laptop, which is one of the goals I have.

So I am in a quandry.

BTW, anyone know of a good audio-quality IR or IP-activated 120V switch?

wgscott

Sep 1, 2011
CA (USA)
One that I have been using for my DIY amp is this:

http://www.simerec.com/zapper.htm

It works, and doesn't appear to harm the sound quality. The website I bought it off of (linked) looks primitive, and after I paid for it, I waited 4 or 5 weeks for it to arrive. I was about to try to figure out how one deals with MIA issues in pay-pal when it showed up. I need one or two more, but I was kind of hoping for something a little more "mainstream."

wgscott

Sep 1, 2011
CA (USA)
I wound up buying the RedEye and kind of like it. The ability to do everything via http command is actually quite powerful, so writing a customized control interface is as easy as making a web page. I figured out how to do IP control of my mac mini as well, so I am not limited to the IR remote commands. I did this using the gnu version of netcat, which allows you to create a listening process, and have it hand off incoming commands to a unix shell interpreter. What that means in essence is that anything I can shell script, I can now do by remote control from my laptop's web browser, or via my iPad or iPod touch. Embedding applescript commands in a shell script is fairly straightforward, so it gives me more or less complete control via the interface, so there is very little I need to do with a VNC program.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I wound up buying the RedEye and kind of like it. The ability to do everything via http command is actually quite powerful, so writing a customized control interface is as easy as making a web page. I figured out how to do IP control of my mac mini as well, so I am not limited to the IR remote commands. I did this using the gnu version of netcat, which allows you to create a listening process, and have it hand off incoming commands to a unix shell interpreter. What that means in essence is that anything I can shell script, I can now do by remote control from my laptop's web browser, or via my iPad or iPod touch. Embedding applescript commands in a shell script is fairly straightforward, so it gives me more or less complete control via the interface, so there is very little I need to do with a VNC program.

I know you meant to recommend it, but you just made it sound like it is only appropriate for programmers. There are universal remotes that are just that -- they are not user programmable and require a technician to set up and/or change. Is this one of those?

Tim

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

No Red Eye is easy .. Plug it fire the app control the component.

The company that makes Red Eye , THinkFlood, however makes a variety of products from the simplistic (mini) to the sophisticated propeller head gizmo (pro)... The Red Eye mini comes with an application. you plug it to your iPad or iPhone , fire the app and that's it... You control your components ... There are other solutions but this simple one works .. If you need more, thinkflood is too happy to provide you with more sophisticated/involved products...
CLICK HERE

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

wgscott

Sep 1, 2011
CA (USA)
I know you meant to recommend it, but you just made it sound like it is only appropriate for programmers. There are universal remotes that are just that -- they are not user programmable and require a technician to set up and/or change. Is this one of those?

Tim

I confess I bought it as a toy for amusement, i.e., to see what could be done. No one else in my family will even use it, let alone try to program it. What I am doing is trying to push the envelope a little bit in terms of its capabilities -- their people said what I wanted to do could not be done, so I went ahead and did it.

I'm not a programmer, but I can do stuff like write shell scripts.

If you want to use it with just the standard generic remote control functionality and their own clunky interface, it is easy enough to do that.

But I agree, it is kind of a geek toy.

My family thinks my Harmony 650 is too complex, but they are resigned to using that.

The fundamental flaw with these iPod/iPad/iPhone remotes is that they are inconvenient. You have to open your iPod, launch the remote software, find what you want to do, and push a tiny button with no tactile feedback, and sometimes there is even a lag or other glitch.

iPods just don't make ideal physical remote controls.

Last edited:

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
... BTW, anyone know of a good audio-quality IR or IP-activated 120V switch?

There many pro-audio and computer data center oriented IP and RS-232 controlled power distribution units out there.

A more 'audiophile' oriented scheme is the BlueBolt stuff from Panamax/Furman, such as this one:
http://www.panamax.com/Products/A-V-Components/M4320-PRO.php

Or a more pro-audio item like this JuiceGoose:
http://www.juicegoose.com/product-ip-1520.html

Tons of other vendors and products, especially data-center oriented. Those things have good electrical performance and high-quality relays.

Still looking for one that offers a soft-start feature on the outlets, so I can use them with high-inrush amps.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing