Is this thing on?

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Extremely glad to have you here, Mark. I know you've heard it before at least 1 or 2 times;), but your Submersives are absolutely fantastic. I will PM you in the next week or so about some additional items.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I can hear the bass coming through my computer monitor! :D

Thanks for coming on board in our dedicated expert area!

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Mark: Glad you are here.

I am not an unbiased customer of Seaton Sound since I now own 9600 watts of his subwoofers (four SubMersive HP's) and three Catalysts serving duty as Left Center and Right for my home theater.

I will post later some of my experiences with Mark and his products (all positive) but he knows a lot more about audio than just building great speakers. And he is really a nice guy.

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
Welcome, Mark! Having enjoyed your incredibly informative posts elsewhere, I'm glad to see that you've joined us, here.

...since I now own 9600 watts of his subwoofers (four SubMersive HP's)...
You're a very sick man, Chuck.:p

zamboniman

Feb 10, 2011
Chicago
Mark,

Thanks for the invite from your forum... Hey site founder Amirm wouldn't happen to be the same amir behind the stoker log? If so wow small world. I use the stokerlog to track and control my other hobby addiction.. smoking mighty fine BBQ.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Mark,

Thanks for the invite from your forum... Hey site founder Amirm wouldn't happen to be the same amir behind the stoker log? If so wow small world. I use the stokerlog to track and control my other hobby addiction.. smoking mighty fine BBQ.
I am indeed! :) BBQ man during the night, and A/V guy during the day :D.

zamboniman

Feb 10, 2011
Chicago
That is awesome! Great to meet you and more importantly thank you for your contribution to the BBQ community. Looking forward to ample great discussion around here. I share the AV bug as well. I'm located in the Chicago area relatively local to crazy man Mark Seaton. Currently have a trio of his catalyst LCR's in the theater room. Engineering Manager by day... and AV/BBQ guy by night.

John V

zamboniman

Feb 10, 2011
Chicago
I'll let Amir take it from there.... I could never steal his thunder on that little gem.......

Geez I hope I didn't out him from living a secret life on this one :)

Mark Seaton

WBF Technical Expert (Speaker & Acoustics)
May 21, 2010
Chicago, IL
www.seatonsound.net
Mark,

To confirm what I posted in my own forum, I see they will let anyone in here. :p

Good to see you found your way here zamboniman.

For those who might not be familiar with my own forum, please feel free to check it out.

zamboniman

Feb 10, 2011
Chicago
Yes apparently the bouncer at the door was on break when I slipped in. :cool:

Didn't mean to crash your forum space here.... the Amir connection was just too much to pass up.

Back to your regularly scheduled DEEP (Bass) discussion.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I'll let Amir take it from there.... I could never steal his thunder on that little gem.......

Geez I hope I didn't out him from living a secret life on this one :)

OK I checked it out. IIRC Amir posted that here in our BBQ forum many months ago

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I'll bite

What's a stoker log. Where I come from that could mean a few different things :)
I will write up an article on the whole thing once I have more time. Here is a quick summary. Stokerlog is a control program for a device aptly called "stoker." Stoker is an automatic temperature controller for your barbecue or smoker. It has a temperature sensor and a fan. You set the temp, and it controls the amount of air your barbecue or smoker gets and hence the temperature. This is important because in proper smoking where you cook the meat from 5 to 20+ hours, you don't want to sit around the thing constantly worrying about the temperature and if the fire has gone out. Connecting this to Mark's forum :), it is the same thing as a "servo control in a sub!"

My program, stokerlog, talks to above device and lets you manage it from your PC inside your house. You can see the entire cook including multiple food probes. You can get reports on your phone. You can get alarms to wake you up if the fire dies in the middle of the night, etc. Here is picture of it:

Many enthusiasts use it including a number of restaurants. The program has been a labor of love and started with me writing what I thought would be 10 lines of code to talk to the box. Now it is some 10,000 to 20,000 lines of code and counting! Next project is to move some of the functionality to a phone (e.g. Android).

Again more later. And apologies to Mark for side venture into food world :).

zamboniman

Feb 10, 2011
Chicago
I will write up an article on the whole thing once I have more time. Here is a quick summary. Stokerlog is a control program for a device aptly called "stoker." Stoker is an automatic temperature controller for your barbecue or smoker. It has a temperature sensor and a fan. You set the temp, and it controls the amount of air your barbecue or smoker gets and hence the temperature. This is important because in proper smoking where you cook the meat from 5 to 20+ hours, you don't want to sit around the thing constantly worrying about the temperature and if the fire has gone out. Connecting this to Mark's forum :), it is the same thing as a "servo control in a sub!"

My program, stokerlog, talks to above device and lets you manage it from your PC inside your house. You can see the entire cook including multiple food probes. You can get reports on your phone. You can get alarms to wake you up if the fire dies in the middle of the night, etc. Here is picture of it:

Many enthusiasts use it including a number of restaurants. The program has been a labor of love and started with me writing what I thought would be 10 lines of code to talk to the box. Now it is some 10,000 to 20,000 lines of code and counting! Next project is to move some of the functionality to a phone (e.g. Android).

Again more later. And apologies to Mark for side venture into food world :).

No worries... Mark LOVES food.. I've seen this first hand... I'll share some of the smoked goodness with him this summer compliments of your labor of love.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing