Help: Music Server to DAC Connection Question

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I have a new Mac Mini which is next to my listening chair and I use it for two things: cataloging my somewhat vast CD collection and playing digital music files. Due to the scanning I do of new CDs I want to keep the Mac near my listening chair for convenience.

I want to connect this to a DAC1 and will be buying a Musical Fidelity V-Link soon. I plan to run a long USB run to the DAC1 which sits atop my top-loading Sony SCD-777.

The question is this. Would I be fine just connecting the optical out on the Mini to the DAC1?

In other words is USB to SPDIF better for long runs (around 8 feet) and/or is optical fine at that long a length?

Thanks for any advice. :)

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
optical can go much further than wire without degrading the signal, but at only 8ft, no worries on either part

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
That is good to know Bruce, thanks.

Vincent Kars

WBF Technical Expert: Computer Audio
Jul 1, 2010
USB
Cable length between full speed devices is limited to 5 meters. For a low speed device (most DACs) the limit is 3 meters.
As the signal degrades proportional to the length of the cable, a short cable is often recommended.

Toslink
Toslink cables are made of plastic or glass.
The plastic ones are cheaper but have a higher attenuation coefficients (1 dB/m or higher).
Due to the high attenuation, reliable transmission distances were limited to 10 meters, in practice often under 5 meters.
Today companies like Lifatec offers length up to 30 m (98 ft) using APF (All Plastic Fiber) with an attenuation (optical loss) less than 0.15dB/m.

Just to spoil your weekend:
Mini – long Toslink – DAC1
Mini – long USB – Vlink – short Toslink – Dac1
Mini – long USB – Vlink – short coax – Dac1
Mini – short USB – Vlink – long Toslink – Dac1
Mini – short USB – Vlink – long coax – Dac1

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Toslink
Toslink cables are made of plastic or glass.
The plastic ones are cheaper but have a higher attenuation coefficients (1 dB/m or higher).
Due to the high attenuation, reliable transmission distances were limited to 10 meters, in practice often under 5 meters.

What about MADI optical?

Vincent Kars

WBF Technical Expert: Computer Audio
Jul 1, 2010

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing