How to get S/PDIF from the MB

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
All,
I have an Intel DP55WB MB that is the basis of my digital music server. I am currently taking the USB output and going into my EMU-101 DAC. However, the DAC will also accept an RCA S/PDIF input or a Toslink S/PDIF input. The Intel MB has a four pin S/PDIF connector on the MB where Pin 1 is ground, Pin 2 is S/PDIF + signal, Pin 3 is a key, and Pin 4 is +5V. What type of connector do I need to convert this into a standard Toslink or preferably RCA terminated S/PDIF connection so I can plug it into my DAC? Is the +5v for using Toslink? I would think with an RCA connection all I would need is Pin 1 and Pin 2.

Also, does anyone think using the S/PDIF connection from the MB is the better way to go rather than use the USB connection I'm currently using? Thanks.

Mark

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Toslink requires an optical converter (and power). Using a simple header plug with pin 1 to shield and pin 2 to hot (center) into a coax cable and then RCA (or whatever) plug should work -- if, and this is a big if, you have a driver that will utilize the S/PDIF output! You may have to tweak the BIOS as well, although it is commonly enabled by default.

I have no idea if you'll hear any advantage. I suspect it's not worth the trouble...

This a guess from me; just noticed I am treading in Vincent's place and he'll have the "real" answer! - Don

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Don-Thanks for the reply. I found a cable on line that has the correct MB connector and is terminated with an RCA jack on the other end. I thought that S/PDIF signal had less junk riding on the signal than the USB connector. And since the S/PDIF connector is built onto the MB, it shouldn't be a big deal to turn it on assuming it's not already hot.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Well, the S/PDIF should be cleaner, but motherboards are not a low-noise environment so it may be a wash...

It shouldn't be hard to "turn it on" at the MB/BIOS level; it's the software drivers that may (or may not) be an issue. I took a look and it seems like Windows has some basic drivers so you may be fine (or, I may have drivers already from another application; I don't know for sure). Computer audio is not something I know a whole lot about so hopefully Vincent will step in and clarify.

I am very curious to know if you hear any difference! I have a couple of PCs in the house with that option so it would be nice to know if it helps.

All the best - Don

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Vincent-Your link is in German. For an RCA connection, all I need to do is attach the negative of the RCA jack to the negative terminal of the S/PDIF connector and the positive of the RCA connector to the positive pin of the S/PDIF signal correct? Do you think this will sound any better than using the USB input on my EMU-101 DAC?

Vincent Kars

WBF Technical Expert: Computer Audio
Jul 1, 2010
Looks like your German is as good as mine...
You have the pin layout correct.

I haven’t the slightest idea what the audible differences will be.
I hear very different reports about on board audio including SPDIF
It ranges from absolute crap to making an additional quality sound card obsolete.
Do a listening test if you get it all to work
Love to hear your results

Vincent

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Vincent-It shouldn't be hard to get it to work. Either my EMU-101 is a piece of junk and/or the USB interface from the computer is not very good. The sound of my lossless files on my hard drive is miles from the sound of my analog so something must be amiss. I will report back when my cable arrives and I get the S/PDIF working correctly and tell you if things got worse or better. Something has to give here.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I keep calling my DAC the EMU-101 which was a mistake. It is the EMU-404.

Othersongs

Jun 27, 2011
Chicago-ish
I hear very different reports about on board audio including SPDIF
It ranges from absolute crap to making an additional quality sound card obsolete.

Motherboard on board digital sound (via either S/PDIF coax wire (IMO/experience optical S/PDIF (aka Toslink) isn't quite as good) or USB wire, is as good as it gets (or close enough for me) for redbook sound (stereo 16/44.1); even compared to a high quality universal player like my slightly older Denon DVD-5910ci ($4k new).

My own recent experience is that the *quality* of mobo digital output (both S/PDIF and USB) varies from one recent mobo to another recent mobo. What is the experience of others on this?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing