Sony BX-57: Cheap BD Player Recommendation

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I found the Sony BX-57 (Sony 570 with included HDMI cable) for $140 at Costco.

Really superb picture quality so far. Also is SACD capable.

If you need a cheap entry point, this may be it.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Listening to the SACD playback now and its pretty respectable. Needs some break in I think but for such a cheap player this is decent. Better than my Oppo 980H so far.

Listening to the Who's Next SHM-SACD.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Is this player DSD capable? I ask as the old PS3-60GB played SACD, but wan't DSD capable.

And yes, the Oppo 980 was a fine player indeed. I regret selling it.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I believe it is DSD capable. I don't think it plays DSD data discs like some PS3 models but that is just a guess. I don't believe I am hearing any PCM conversion on SACD playback if that is what you mean.

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
Now for the acid question: Will it play Blu-ray recordable discs? Many players do not.

Sharp, in particular, have a stated company policy of intentionally NOT playing BD-R discs as their tip of the hat to the MPAA, which is why I boycott and urge others to boycott Sharp players.
If your player can't read BD-R discs, you should complain loudly to the manufacturer or, better yet, return it to the retailer for the stated reason and get another model that does.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Good question Mark. I'm not sure. I will check into it.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
The Sony BDP-S570 will output the DSD audio stream from SACDs through its HDMI output untouched!

Pretty good Blu-ray player with fantastic Blu-ray picture, SACD playback, and very fast disc-loader!
All this for only $129-139! ...Now that's what I call Best Value! :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing