Tell Us What Tweaks You Use That You Swear By

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Thanks for reinforcing my findings but if one is to use them I would avoid a front loader such as the Playback Designs for fear the mat will get stuck and/or not load correctly

Yes, I've always principally used a top loader.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
After reading this thread I have come to the conclusion that most audiophiles are stone cold crazy. Myles, I found your PC swap interesting. I actually bought a magic PC and switched out the stock power cord from my Jadis Defy 7 MKII. All I got was a bunch of hum. I quickly snatched that damn thing out of my system and reinstalled the stock PC from Jadis. When I looked at the box the magic PC came in I saw that they had lifted the ground which surprised me. I put the magic PC on Audiogon and quickly sold it. I am not into magic PCs any more.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
After reading this thread I have come to the conclusion that most audiophiles are stone cold crazy. Myles, I found your PC swap interesting. I actually bought a magic PC and switched out the stock power cord from my Jadis Defy 7 MKII. All I got was a bunch of hum. I quickly snatched that damn thing out of my system and reinstalled the stock PC from Jadis. When I looked at the box the magic PC came in I saw that they had lifted the ground which surprised me. I put the magic PC on Audiogon and quickly sold it. I am not into magic PCs any more.

:D

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Well to be honest, the power cord supplied with the cj amp isn't stock either. I don't have the details as to what they do at the moment though.

VernNeal

Aug 15, 2010
Actually I am going to give you the best kept secret in audio. Tap on your $10,000 preamp or amp. If it resonates-boo for you. Apply someVibramatExtreme to the inside of the cabinet. Do Not cover any vent areas. No more resonation. You will thank me later.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Of the many tweaks I have tried all over my system, two have proved to be significantly more audible than others, whatever one tries to improve AC feed helps, as well as proper (not excessive) room treatment (worried if this last could be consider as a tweak thou).

rhyno

Dec 29, 2010
too many to list

i sincerely believe that the reason my room sounds much better than it should is b/c of the tweaking that has gone into it

(tweaking = attention to detail)

biggest to smallest:
room treatments
ac conditioning (weishi is best i've heard...virtually uncolored)
dedicated lines
vibration damping (esp under sources & preamps; am using neuance shelves, but have had good results w/ other HARD footers and rollerballs; soft feet suck. oh, and dont forget the top of the unit for mass loading)

and then the truly esoteric

AC outlets (oyaide) & wall plate (WPZ)
EVS ground conditioners ($30, and made a nice improvement).
fuses
cd mats & treatments (largely a placebo IME)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Quiet air conditioning as part of an overall acoustic effort is at the top of my list. Silence and physical comfort just go like milk and honey.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Quiet air conditioning as part of an overall acoustic effort is at the top of my list. Silence and physical comfort just go like milk and honey.

Absolutely Jack. In our kind of climate, we need it most of the year. Before I had a window type Fedders that is noisy as hell. Well, it may have added to the bass response of my bookself Celestion 600s then. LOL Now a quiet split type ceiling Sanyo is doing a much better job.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
What about covering your unused pre-amp inputs with non-shorting caps? Audioquest makes some that are less expensive than Cardas' and DIY should be fairly easy (although maybe not much cheaper)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The only tweak I use in my system is checking for proper power cable neutral-phase pin orientation - with some equipment is really makes some difference.

There is something else, that I am hesitating if it should be considered a teak - a Finite Finite-Elemente Pagode Master Reference rack. I have tried several times to replace it with a piece of furniture looking less technical, but every time I had to go back to the Pagode, as the system did not sound so good without it. BTW, all my equipment is tube.

hifidelity1

Jan 19, 2011
Ater room treatments and dedicated ac lines, good speaker cables and ic's. Cleaning the fuses and applying a little pro gold was the most cost effective a yeilded the biggest bang for me! However I'm still evaluating a HiFi tunning Silver Star on the main amp line and so far I might have a new winner!

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
The first room I visited during the RMAF/2008 was the Nordost room where Lars Kristensen was demonstrating the effects of two types of resonance control devices, Nordost Ti Pulsar Points (inter/intra equipment vibration) and the Quantum QX4 power enhancer. I clearly heard the negative effects of removing pulsar points from beneath the digital source player that resulted in less articulation and instrumental tightness (particularly low frequencies). But also heard how much the Quantum QX4 increased three dimensional images by widening and deepening the soundstage.

The second audio demonstration I attended was the System Setup and Tuning seminar where Roy Gregory (HiFi+ editor at the time) was demonstrating the effects of different levels of speaker positioning, cabling, and accessories using modest audio electronics. The demonstration used three differing system setups stocked with identical audio CD source, preamp and amp. The first setup had a commonly used steel/glass rack with a mixture of different manufacturers cabling; the second setup used a non-ferrous rack, all cabling from the same manufacturer, the speakers made more stable and level; and third setup was cost no object in terms of power conditioning, synergistic cabling, and resonance control. The same music selections were played using each system setup approach. The second system setup sounded much more coherent than the first system setup even though the total cost was the same. Roy Gregory told us he considers the improvement made by the changes to the second system setup an absolute minimum to achieve high fidelity performance. The cost no object system setup approach started with a Stillpoints ESS rack, Stillpoints component stands supporting the Avalon speakers, all Vertex cabling, and a Nordost Quantum QX4 power conditioner. The same set of components created a very coherent soundstage, with instruments and voices more easily defined in terms of articulation, placement, and authority.

I installed a set of Nordost Ti pulsar points under my digital source player and immediately heard a significant improvement in articulation and low frequency impact. I installed a second set of pulsar points under my preamp and heard more of the same improvements. I then added the Quantum QX4 between my dedicated 20 amp circuit and my existing PS Audio Quintet. The low end impact was more impactful and tighter than I had ever heard with my B&W N802 speakers. I installed additional pulsar points under the amp and QX4, and again the articulation and low end impact improved. Resonance control is another of those areas of audio such as room acoustics that many of us minimize thinking newer, better, more expensive equipment is always the answer. I recall Roy Gregory telling us at the seminar if you haven’t provided a good system foundation for your audio system; it hasn’t come close to reaching its potential.

I am convinced for those wishing to significantly improve current audio systems without upgrading core audio components should read the HiFi+ articles (issue 62) and seriously consider meticulous speaker positioning, room acoustics, power conditioning, synergistic cabling, and resonance control as the foundation of your audio system.

I’ve always listened to music frequently as a sole focus musical entertainment in the comfort of my home. During the past two plus years I’ve been able to transform my audio system from a competent audio system to one that provides me with great musical gratification almost everyday. I found a pair of Raidho Ayra C3.0’s I’d heard and loved at RMAF/2008, matched them with a Lindemann 830S preamp and 855 amp, installed all Nordost cabling, expanded the resonance control to every audio device, and implemented a Rives Audio acoustic design for my listening room. And even though I’ve initially addressed power conditioning, I’m now considering a completely dedicated audio power supply and grounding system. I’m no longer looking for the next “new” audio product, but rather focusing on the “system foundation” and really enjoying listening to music.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Great info Len

I too have been to many of Lars Nordost demos.

Like you I have found profound differences with isolation devices most noticeable under all of my tube components. I went a slightly different direction and use Aurios Pro MIB

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
the pyramid :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG00057-20110315-2&.jpg
    IMG00057-20110315-2&.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 447
Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm just glad that at long last room treatments are no longer considered "tweaks". There are so many amazing new acoustical products available today that are fantastically stealthy. What's good for combatting noise pollution is good for better audio in the right hands. Once again we are benefiting from technology developed for other purposes. Windows that absorb sound anybody? :)

I'm very certain that for people with systems capable of high SPLs, vibration control in the future will no longer be considered tweaks either. I can't live without my filter rack systems. Well, actually I can if I'm not playing very loud, but they sure help when the pedal is to the metal.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) I'm very certain that for people with systems capable of high SPLs, vibration control in the future will no longer be considered tweaks either. I can't live without my filter rack systems. Well, actually I can if I'm not playing very loud, but they sure help when the pedal is to the metal.

Jack,

IMHO, some vibration control devices can change the sound even at moderate levels - their action can not be explained simply as an acoustic feedback blocker. This is the case of my Finite Elements pagode
master reference rack - one of the most effective tweaks I introduced in my system.

BTW, we must not forget that sometimes these devices change the sound but do not improve it!

carlocole

Mar 20, 2011
dedicated ac lines for sources and power amps
hi fi tunning fuses for preamp, vpi motor, ac conditioner
parallel ac caps
hi fi tunning Zerstorer
vibex ac conditioner
murata supertweeter

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
My fav tweaks: inexpensive: EAT tube damper for microphonic tubes; mid-priced: HRS damping plates and nimbus feet; more expensive: Nordost QX4. All were positive with no drawbacks to my ear. As for CD mats, i heard differences uses Millenium CD mat...not all good. While it first appeared to present strong midrange, it actually seemed to cut off part of the upper range (just a touch of air was missing)...though on video it presented stronger colors. In the end, i do not use it any longer. I do find that using a marker to put a single ring around the transparent edge of a CD makes a positive difference.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing