Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Cardas Frequency Sweep and Burn-in Record
http://www.cardas.com/content.php?area=products&content_id=7&pagestring=Accessories&product_id=5

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
PS Audio power regeneration. Mine is an older unit:

But they have moved on to newer models.

It is fun to change the frequency and see if there is an impact. Many other tweaks don't lend themselves to simple A/B (you can't change cables fast enough for example). But this one is easy. Set it to 60 Hz and then dial up and down and see what happens (give it a second or two as the effect in your electronics is not immediate due to capacitors holding charge). You can even have someone else do it so that it is a blind test!

Be warned though, the boxes generate a ton of heat and are big and heavy. Mine is heavier than a higher power amp yet it only has enough juice to power my front-end.

In my testing with DACs, there is an upside down U-shape graph impacting performance. You change the frequency up and the sound gets better but then when you go a notch or two, it degrades again. This makes it easy to find the optimal point. And gets past placebo effect that "more is better." :)

Rutgar

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas Area
mysite.verizon.net
Interesting. I have about 250 hours now on my MM2's. I have just been using a CD that has a veriety of bass, highs, dynamics, etc. But I wouldn't mind trying somethng that might speed the break-in process up a little!

soundofvoid

WBF Founding Member
Apr 22, 2010
Athens/Greece
When i am not satisfied with the sound i change the music program.If this doesn't help,a shot of Southern Comfort on the rocks makes things sound nicer!
Of course this works best with classical and operas...
For listening to rock and pop...usually beer does the trick better!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
When i am not satisfied with the sound i change the music program.If this doesn't help,a shot of Southern Comfort on the rocks makes things sound nicer!

John....Southern Comfort?? I would have thought you would have said Ouzo ;)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
VPI Bricks. I bought one in the mid 80s. I liked them enough to buy 2 more here from a friend. I don't if it's just me, but I do hear some improvements by placing them on top on my amp's transformers.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Yes the SC especially works wonders when you have a headache from listening to the tweak ;)

I've been wanting to say something about tweaks for a bit but today's instance is just another example of what I was going to point out.

I think the less tweaks, the better. Too many tweaks is asking for trouble eg. the better one's system, the less tuning it should need. Or-there are inherent compromises in lower priced equipment, say the construction of the power supply, that is compensated for by the AC cord or PLC. In many cases, I think one is just trading one coloration for another that happens to match that component. But jumping onto that tweaks bandwagon without having some sort of trial is asking for trouble.

The latest incident goes for AC cords. Now I know some out there use PLC, etc on their equipment but I've yet to hear one that didn't color the sound to some extent, choke the sound, compress the soundstage, roll off the upper octaves, etc. for a variety of reasons! The same goes for AC cords-and the experience with my new amp just goes to illustrate my point. I had been using PC #1 and it worked well with my previous amp. When I installed my new amps, I just kept the same cord and connected it to the electronics. I was listening quite a bit last night and the sound was just rolled off, compressed and sluggish. Yes, it got better after a couple of hours but I wasn't happy. So today did some more listening and I was still hearing the same colorations; so I unhooked my previous fave PC and inserted the cj stock PC. Low and behold, the dynamics, extension, solidity, etc came back. So whether the PC was choking off the bigger amp, etc., the lesson to be learned is never to assume anything.

And I think the same goes for most vibration isolation products. The question is at what frequencies does the product absorb, which do they transmit and which do they reradiate? This in the end will be component specific and unless one can design a product specifically for that piece of equipment, one is asking for trouble.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
@Steve

Steve you're a doctor so maybe I should ask you. Listening is always best after a mild or medium work out or light physical activity like taking a 30 minute walk or an easy going round of golf. Aside from my having more energy, my hearing is usually more keen and I find myself listening with the preamp a couple of notches lower with equal satisfaction. Any physiological explanation for this? Thanks!

Jack

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
@Steve

Steve you're a doctor so maybe I should ask you. Listening is always best after a mild or medium work out or light physical activity like taking a 30 minute walk or an easy going round of golf. Aside from my having more energy, my hearing is usually more keen and I find myself listening with the preamp a couple of notches lower with equal satisfaction. Any physiological explanation for this? Thanks!

Jack

Yes exercise releases at least two powerful central nervous system stimulants among them norepinehrine and epinephrine. It's been show that 30 mins of exercise/day (along with traditional Rx) --which releases norepinehrine and epinephrine--also has a big impact on people suffering from depression (I think in part exercise impacts the ruminations that people suffering from depression go through).

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
And I think the same goes for most vibration isolation products. The question is at what frequencies does the product absorb, which do they transmit and which do they reradiate? This in the end will be component specific and unless one can design a product specifically for that piece of equipment, one is asking for trouble.
The "trouble" is in finding what vibration isolation product works for that specific component. This sort of "trouble" is fun for some of those afflicted from audio nervosa, it just a challenge not a problem.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
This isn't a tweak per se but does wonders for me. About 30 minutes prior to a listening session I pop in those marshmallow-like ear plugs. It really lowers the apparent noise floor inside my head and when taken out, the difference before and after is stunning. It allows discernment of all the subtle nuances. It's not permanent obviously but it sure makes a difference. On a further note, I always use the ear plugs when mowing, trimming, running my air compressor....or when I'm around any loud noises...grandkids, etc.;) With all I have invested in this hobby that is so dependent on my sense of hearing you can bet I'll do whatever to protect my ears and therefore my audio investment.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
The "trouble" is in finding what vibration isolation product works for that specific component. This sort of "trouble" is fun for some of those afflicted from audio nervosa, it just a challenge not a problem.

I agree with you to some extent. I think what I was thinking when I posted was the cost of these "tweaks." It was different when the Mod Squad tiptoes were $5 each :)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
My favorite tweaks

Have your ears cleaned.
Actually I suggest avoiding alcohol products during serious listening sessions.
Get a massage. Remove all restrictive or tight clothing. Not nude. from Harvey Rosenberg
Listen alone. Don't have to worry if your companion will be impressed or disapprove of the money you spent.
A fine cigar or pipe tobacco. From Harvey Rosenberg Appearently the smell of fine tobacco products is relaxing. Those who fear cancer and other lung diseases may try other aroma therapy.
For vintage equipment -a 20lb cast iron barbell or plate. Place it overt the old style transformers. Caution make sure the cover is strong enough to support the weight. Not only does this act like the VPI magic brick, it keeps the cover form humming along with the music. Also it helps couple the component to the anti-vibration device like tip toes. I place one on the transformer of my ML CLSI also use them on mini-monitors to help couple them to the stand.
Finally cleanse the palette. I try to use some chamber music or female vocals at the start of the listening session.:D:cool:
For you married guys- Take out the trash and perform other duties that can cause friction with spouse.:D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing