Reflections and DACs

welwynnick

Mar 13, 2011
I wince when I read something like this: it's full of pseudo-science and twisted ideas that may still lead to a good outcome, by luck more than anything else, but it throws a lot of a baggage into the arena which is quite unnecessary, and makes it harder to convince people to use good engineering solutions.

Frank
Yes, its a rather hand-waving explanation, but its effectively saying the same thing as Don said in the first post. I think Steve Nugent is a smart guy, and has a clear understanding of jitter.

Nick

ar-t

Jun 3, 2011
Texas
ar-t.co
If you think that involved lots of hand waving, what is your take on this mumbo-jumbo?

http://www.coreaudiotechnology.com/blog/

I can not read it and keep a straight face. Hate to give him traffic, and exposure, but if you enjoy comedy, you may want to peruse it. Just keep that in mind, when you read it. Might help to wear a tin-foil hat, as well.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I am a tolerant man but wow! That is some article Ar-t. If one paragraph doesn't make your blood boil, the next one is sure to do it! I have never seen someone talk about science yet use so many claims without any explanation whatsoever. Cables raise the distortion by a power of two? Where is the back up for that? Instruments don't make distortion? Really? Are they alien equipment not subject to laws of physics? Does he even own any measurement gear? Doesn't look like he does or knows what they do.

I have read decent reviews of their mac server but this kind of gibberish puts serious doubt in my mind that the thing does anything by design.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Perhaps these articles should be discussed outside this thread? I am too tired to wade through all that and try to make any sense of it... I'll just comment that inapplicable facts are a dangerous thing... I can prove the Earth's magnetic field induces a current in your speaker cable, but it has little bearing upon the listening experience. Mine, anyway...

[edit] Read the Core Audio link; that article is filled with so many factual errors it is not worth trying to debunk it all here. Skimmed Steve's article and it seemed OK to me, maybe a couple of questionable or just unexplained points (e.g. loss increasing jitter; it can, due to lower effective receiver SNR, but that wsa not clear -- he did say he was not going to explain that then so I really have no quibble) but nothing jumped out in my two-second skim. Please note I did not read either article very closely -- long day, great concert, but I am tired and have to get up early.

Last edited:

j_n

Nov 18, 2011
Let it go... I got drawn into a rather ridiculous exchange over some questionable papers late after a long day. My brain had shut off. :(

I was wonderin if earth's field had finally flipped again.

Cheers, jn

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing