ack's system - end of round 1

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Congratulations to your son who put in the passion and hard work, to his parents who supported him and probably suffered in the beginning, and to the Boston Latin School for providing the opportunity and context for such an achievement. He is very lucky to be able to attend such a fine school. He surely has a bright future ahead of him. I'm really happy for your family.

Reactions: ack and Al M.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Ack, I have a weak spot for trombone as my first real introduction to jazz was from one of my dad's great friends, Dave Remington. We heard him live regularly at dances in Rockford, IL, where I grew up and in Wisconsin at a jazz club. I was just a kid, but boy, he was fantastic. This is the first jazz album I paid attention to and still have two copies. It really takes me back. Trombone is a great instrument when played at a high level. I'm sure your son hears better music from your system than I ever heard from the one my parents had at home growing up. hahaha. There was some great big band jazz regularly heard all over the place in the 1960s. And they still bring in live jazz bands for my daughter's high school dances. She and her friends love it.

IMG_6626.JPG

Reactions: ack

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
That’s awesome! What composition are they playing?

Thank you all! The band also got the award for best rhythm. This piece, Vlad, is Mingus's Don't Let It Happen Here - the last spoken words towards the end of the piece.

It's also interesting the kinda stuff that goes on behind the scenes, virtually all the time... For example, the unsung hero in this video is actually this kid:

1582307420476.png

He was effectively a last-minute substitute who had zero experience with the sax and picked it up and performed admirably in less than two weeks before the performance!

Reactions: VLS

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Well, I did not realize that Eric Mingus, Charles's son, was an adjudicator during this Festival... Here's his letter to the winners, with some very meaningful advice

1582503967069.png

Reactions: VLS and Al M.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
The Yggy2 blows my mind, goes against analog

I told a couple of folks internally that the Yggy2 in my system blows away my analog in some cases... Let me expand... Me and others consider my analog ultra clean, and I really really enjoy it. Last time we met as a group, Al M applauded the performance of the Sheffield Drum and Track LP, and I also consider it quite good.

Then, over the weekend, I played this CD:

There is so much more breadth and depth, a larger and deeper soundstage - where the drums echo through the room - and so much more attack and drama. I was taken aback; blows my analog away.

So then, I compared my Reference Recordings LP11 Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique - my analog reference - against this LIM CD (which is NOT HDCD) where Track 10 is an excerpt from the Fantastique...

again, the CD offers more clarity and drama, but lacks a bit in ultimate low-end drive, especially with the bass drum and timpani.

What this all means is that I need a better phono stage URGENTLY :mad:

Reactions: Al M.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Wow, I will have to hear that digital drum track. Perhaps Al M. should buy a copy too.

Tasos, you have heavily modified both your Pass XP25 phono stage and your VPI turntable and tonearm. Can you explain why you think the deficiencies that you are hearing with your vinyl are because of your phono stage and not some other link in your vinyl chain?

It is quite a testament to what you think of your YGGY 2 that it is making you think about issues with your analog source. I really think you and Al M. should start a new YGGY thread and insert the long well written and descriptive posts that you have both written about this DAC in your respective system threads. People may find the information for easily in a new dedicated thread.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Peter, it IS possible for digital to so suprise against analog that it makes one work really hard at upping the ante w the analog setup. My cdp had been handily trouncing my tt for 5 years until I got serious about tt isolation, dialling in, modding phono w bespoke dual LPSs. Now have best of both worlds, analog and digital absolutely complementary and interchangeable in many ways. But I really had to pull out the stops on my vinyl playback setup.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Peter, it IS possible for digital to so suprise against analog that it makes one work really hard at upping the ante w the analog setup. My cdp had been handily trouncing my tt for 5 years until I got serious about tt isolation, dialling in, modding phono w bespoke dual LPSs. Now have best of both worlds, analog and digital absolutely complementary and interchangeable in many ways. But I really had to pull out the stops on my vinyl playback setup.

No doubt Mark, no doubt. Vinyl is a challenge to get right. Lots of pieces and set up is crucial. We have a friend to the Boston Group who lives up in Maine. He builds his own electronics, lately on Pass DIY designs, but others also, and occasionally he builds speakers. He had been digital only for years plus digital room correction etc. He recently borrowed my old Denon DD turntable from college days and loved it so much that he went out and bought a new Technics DD table and cartridge. He LOVES his vinyl now.

I have heard both sound good. Tasos and Madfloyd seem to enjoy both very much and I fully appreciate and respect that. I have yet to hear Tasos' new Yggy 2 in his system. Some day perhaps....

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Wow, I will have to hear that digital drum track. Perhaps Al M. should buy a copy too.

Tasos, you have heavily modified both your Pass XP25 phono stage and your VPI turntable and tonearm. Can you explain why you think the deficiencies that you are hearing with your vinyl are because of your phono stage and not some other link in your vinyl chain?

It's a well-educated guess, based solely on the fact that this product (like many like it) have some inherent noise; what I am hearing ought to be electronic noise that we cannot easily detect but can appreciate when removed. This XP-25 has been taken to new heights over the years, but the fundamental design is now old. I am still hoping to see the Spectral phono soon, maybe this year.

That's not to say that I wouldn't like to have my dream turntable, should $89K drop from the sky - the Acoustic Signature Invictus Jr :)

It is quite a testament to what you think of your YGGY 2 that it is making you think about issues with your analog source. I really think you and Al M. should start a new YGGY thread and insert the long well written and descriptive posts that you have both written about this DAC in your respective system threads. People may find the information for easily in a new dedicated thread.

Yes, we need to consolidate all these posts, we are just lazy (hint Al)

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Isodamp coming out of my ears, for my ears

I have written about Isodamp a number of times in the past; this time, I went all in: amps, preamp, speakers, cable boxes, CD transport, phono, turntable, cartridge, DAC, tuner; and God knows where else.

I wanted to consolidate all the pictures in one post here, before we all die of covid-19

Top picture shows how much of it I bought recently (and more than what the picture depicts), sitting right next to the aloe vera and isopropyl alcohol used to make my own sanitizer!

IMG_4025.jpg

Double and triple layers in the turntable feet and motor
IMG_4031.jpg

Part of the platter interface:
IMG_4032.jpg

New under the speakers' granite slab:
IMG_4033.jpg

Phono:
IMG_4037.jpg

Amps, preamp:
IMG_4040.jpg

Cartridge:
IMG_4016.jpg

Two major outcomes:

1) There is an eerie calm and naturalness with vinyl; incredible results; so quiet when tapping the turntable and the LP with the cartridge in the grooves

2) Major bass improvement with Isodamp under the speakers; could also be the slight elevation, but I think it's the Isodamp. This effect was quite a bit shocking

All of that for $200, and I still have some Isodamp left.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Tasos, you've got me thinking. And as my GF will tell you, that means trouble.

Once our black cloud lifts and cashflow improves, I'll seriously consider Isodamp in conjunction w mass loading for top plate chassis damping, and a sliver for my SG cart.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Ack, if you don't mind me asking where did you purchase the isodamp?

I have looked at this before. As I recall isn't there a minimum weight loading before it becomes effective?

Thanks,
Todd

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Ack, if you don't mind me asking where did you purchase the isodamp?

I have looked at this before. As I recall isn't there a minimum weight loading before it becomes effective?

Thanks,
Todd

Yes, per manufacturer's spec, it's most effective under heavy loads, i.e in a constrained layered environment, and it will vary by the thickness of the version you use. I place additional weight over the top plates of equipment, like the amps and phono. I get mine from https://www.rathbun.com/e-a-r/damping-isolation#1 or percyaudio.com

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Pass XP-25 reboot - Obsession to the max

I've been obsessed with this unit for years, trying to remove hum it picks up. Although I had shielded the main unit underneath with mumetal - as well as the PS transformer - this time I decided to wrap it all around - top, sides, back - because it was still picking up surrounding hum. This, in addition to lifting its ground. The $200 investment in more mumetal paid off big time, removing all traces of this noise, enabling me to turn up the gain to 76dB from 66 and the "loading" to 47K, and finally, with the preamp turned all the way up (some 90+ dB total gain), there is no hum. The additional dynamic headroom is really arresting, as is the increase in clarity, timbre and articulation. This unit also has those incredible power diodes I've mentioned upthread, and no capacitive "loading".

The noise floor is so low that I can easily hear slight motor whirring on some Reference Recordings LPs, in the lead-in and lead-out grooves and between tracks (e.g. Arnold Overtures); at first, I thought it was my motor, but thankfully not. I don't understand why I did not do this years ago. One caveat, I need to open a hole somewhere for internal heat to escape...

IMG_4051.jpg

IMG_4052.jpg

But the obsession could not stop there... ever since inserting Isodamp between the A90 and the headshell, I lost metal contact, which means no grounding all the way to the cartridge body, i.e. slightly more hum.

Laugh all you want, as I do, but here's what I did :eek:, and it works wonders:

IMG_4055.jpg

Short of treating your equipment with disinfectants for cleaner sound, this surely is one of the most idiotic things I have personally seen, but it restores the ground connection but probably adds a little more mechanical noise back in via the tiny wire. :cool: Nevertheless, the overall improvement with the Isodamp in terms of lowering distortion all around is unmistakable. The Symphonic Dances' crescendos have never sounded as clean and controlled.

Yeah I know, just get better gear... Some day...

Last edited:
Reactions: Al M. and VLS

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Lots of time for tweaking these days.;) Not sure if it would improve anything, but you could try making cartridge screw washers out of Isodamp. That way the vibes from the cartridge screws would not pass to the headshell as easy.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Lots of time for tweaking these days.;) Not sure if it would improve anything, but you could try making cartridge screw washers out of Isodamp. That way the vibes from the cartridge screws would not pass to the headshell as easy.

Do you think I didn't try??? LOL

Reactions: Mikem53

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Yeah, could be difficult. Another way to do it would be to just make a small rectangular piece and then drill out the holes for the screws. Could probably just trace it on the material by turning the cartridge upside down. Though not sure how well Isodamp drills.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
So the holes was not the problem, and I did cut a rectangular piece as shown below - I just could not keep the cartridge perfectly horizontal/parallel to the headshell because of the pliability of the Isodamp

IMG_4056.jpg

Last edited:

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Yeah, that is exactly like I was envisioning. Oh well. Only other idea I have, is to try thinner isodamp. How thin is that piece?

Also maybe wider screws.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing