ack's system - end of round 1

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I knew someone would pick up on that; you are looking at the bottom of the connector (compare with its symmetrical brother on the other side), and it's actually naked around that area, exposing the gold-plated (?) leads, and it's indeed seated just fine; my guess is that it facilitates easy testing, but I can't be sure.

And here's proof why women are smarter than men... man, I love a good sarcasm:

ME [opening a bottle of wine]: Here's to the 400s!
WIFE: I hope you are talking about your salary [that you're not making]

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
ack, I'm sure your new amp will sound great. Congrats. BTW, you could always tell the wife that the new amps are an investment.....didn't work for me, BUT worth a try, LOL.

1rsw

Jul 21, 2010
Stunning. Thanks for the pics and enjoy, my friend.

Love the comments from your wife, too! Don't ever lose sight....we are the crazy ones and it isn't close:)

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Congrats!

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Thanks all; you are among the classiest people I have met on the net - and was really glad to have met Davey in person, hope to meet Ian soon, and Richard, you have to get over to Goodwins and get your 400s and hope to meet you then.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Congratulations on your new amps, Ack. The system sounded great the last time I heard it. And now you seem to have made much progress with noise reduction. Once the 400s have fully broken in, please report back about the specific improvements in sound you hear over your former 360s.

What's next for your system evolution?

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Hi Peter, thanks; I will report soon. I will be taking speaker replacement again seriously, at some point... a Q5 is not out of the question. Hope you can come visit again soon and we can discuss.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Peter, thanks; I will report soon. I will be taking speaker replacement again seriously, at some point... a Q5 is not out of the question. Hope you can come visit again soon and we can discuss.

I think it is fascinating having spoken with a few panel and stat' philes who really like Magico's. I presume it is their transient speed among other things...that make them come across as fast as 'stats/panels...but with the power of a cone? Just curious if this is how you view Q5s, Ack.

I have always enjoyed 'stats but admit to being a bit of a slam freak, even if it is not the 'most accurate'...I like the visceral nature of it...and in my own limited experiments, managed to find it with a powerful SS Class A amp (Gryphon) and the big Wilsons. That said, I have always enjoyed panels (and become increasingly intrigued by Analysis Audio or the new Neoliths)...and have also admired the transient speed of today's latest cone designs (Rockport, Magico, Wilson, etc)

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Hi Lloyd, so yes stats can be so fast and extremely low in distortion that very few dynamic speakers can come close. Enter Magico. And I have raved about Analysis a number of times here. A CLX is also in the running.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Lloyd, so yes stats can be so fast and extremely low in distortion that very few dynamic speakers can come close. Enter Magico. And I have raved about Analysis a number of times here. A CLX is also in the running.

Great stuff...thanks for that. presume a Neolith is also in the running?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Well, I went to hear Ack's system again yesterday and I must say he has made great progress in the areas of noise reduction and overall resolution and clarity. The very low noise floor is really impressive enabling the smallest of details to be heard. This also increases one's perception of dynamic range. Ack places a high priority on overall accuracy, especially realistic timbre, and he uses the BSO as his reference. His system has moved a few large steps forward toward the accurate portrayal of timber and realism in large, complex orchestral passages. Individual instruments and their spacial relationship to the rest of the orchestra is very easy to hear. There were moments when I was completely lost in and convinced by the presentation. I think the addition of the Spectral 400 amps has added a new degree of control of the lower frequencies. The sound is more open and less congested and cleaner.

Congratulations Ack on your recent changes. It sounds great and I really enjoyed the listening session and our discussion of all things audio.

Last edited:

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Thanks Peter, and again, what's most important is the intelligent conversation, not how a system sounds - always a pleasure to talk audio with you. Let's also be fair and mention you thought the system could be fatiguing [or is on the fence] with the newly-exposed treble information... something to be debated... I am still trying to understand what these amps do, how they interact with the cables, and what issues there may exist...

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Timbre & Articulation - A 35-year journey ends with the Spectral DMA-400RS...

So I think I was 15 years old when I got seriously into this hobby, tinkering with my father's Dual turntable, zapping myself to near death a couple of times while attempting to modify it, then convincing him to buy me an Akai receiver and a Thorens turntable - and modifying the crap out of the latter. My fascination with audio electronics since then - and love for Physics & Electrical Engineering, eventually minoring in them in college - led me to building amplifiers, small mixing consoles, desiging my first speakers using the legendary B110 and T27 KEF drivers (used in the LS3/5A, if I remember correctly) and B139 as a sub (used in the Wilson WAMM)... and the list is too long to mention. Funny thing is all of my original equipment survives to this day - the speakers in my home theater, the Akai in some closet, the Thorens used by my brother.

My foray into the high end probably came some time in the mid '80s, when I bought a 45rpm LP called Kronos Quartet - In Formation, by an unknown to me label, Reference Recordings. It sounded so different and better than any other LP I've had that it truly captivated me. In the liner notes, thanks were given to Demian Martin and Richard Fryer of Spectral Audio Associates. Who?

It must have been 1994 when I first walked into Goodwin's and ran again into Spectral. Hmmm... I had read a number of things about them by then, but who are they really. Wait a minute, these are the guys that gave themselves a very tough assignment - build fast circuits in order to better track the signal (I think Goldmund and FM Acoustics may have been the other two doing the same, back then). Looking at the circuit boards, the advanced and fanatical build quality was quite evident; photos of their older equipment from the '80s was equally impressive. Hmmm... time to pay close attention.

Fast forward... the DMC-12 preamp was my first Spectral component - I was floored by the sound; quick, get me the DMC-20 Series 2; then pair with the DMA-150, DMA-250 and DMA-360S2's; and along with the DMC-30SL S2 and finally DMC-30SS S2 preamps they have been the equipment of choice the last 20 years or so (with some Pass Aleph in between for a brief period of time, a McCormack DNA-1, and a Krell).

A few years ago I raved here about the 30SS S2, and I have yet to eat my words (but surely will eventually in the future) - to me, this preamp is still just a spectacular engineering feat with a commensurate sound. The story with their amps has been slightly different - a lush but slightly dark presentation, which has always bothered me to one degree or another; great detail and sense of space; great micro and macro dynamics; but some timbres slightly off (even with the latest MIT Matrix cables). Overall, I heard significant improvements over the years, but it was just not enough... Still, their approach had all the hallmarks of success, some day: sensational unfiltered architecture, fanatical build quality (OK let's forget about those silly lamps), non-invasive parallel monitoring circuits, short paths, great parts density, and system-design approach down to factoring in the capacitance of the output terminals and internal cables. Frankly, I am like that in my personal and business life: I will take probably nothing at face value and have to understand as much as possible about a problem before offering solutions (or making purchases).

This being electronics, there is just no free lunch, and I can see the struggle on Spectral's part to improve on their designs. For example, early on I realized that fast circuits introduce their own set of problems, collectively and fuzzily described as distortions of various kinds, not necessarily present in conventional designs - indeed, a tough assignment they gave themselves.

Enter this [post-DMA-300] pair of DMA-400RS...

Judging them by driving Magicos as well as my speakers, and to make a long story short, these are the amplifiers I have been dreaming of since I was a kid - a long 35-year quest to a "marriage" that will probably last a very long time. Others here with more elaborate systems - like marty and coopersark - have described these amps with such eloquence that I don't need to repeat, just summarize my own impressions. What they offer me is, finally, all the treble information, sparkle and brilliance that I have been longing for, a higher bias that results in higher dynamic headroom, gravely-low noise, very high timbral accuracy (the the MITs are an integral part of this), even more resolution, a sensational soundstage (with the MIT Matrix 90.1 at HD for higher transient speed), more taught bass, you-are-there realism, and the entire package offers a great illusion of an unamplified live event (with analog hi-rez digital and HDCD, less so with RBCD). At the bottom of it all, perhaps the most important strength is their lack of distortions of any kind, but then again, I've had them for just over 6 weeks. If there are any distortions, I would be inclined to say they are probably unrelated to the amplifiers; certainly, in my system, some notes here and there are still a little bit off.

To claim that these amps are a breakthrough is probably an understatement, but I am biased so take with a grain of salt :) The reality, though, is that I have never been so excited about a piece of audio electronics. My understanding is that they sit on the bench for two weeks, adjusted with trimmers in various places as they break in, then finally appropriate resistors are soldered in place, and there may be other such fanatical adjustments taking place - truly custom built by hand. Their performance and specs are so close to the exceptionally fast and transparent-to-sources 30SS S2, that it's hard to ignore these attributes in a ultra high-speed, high-current, high-powered amplifier design. Spectral claim parts-per-million accuracy in tracking the signal from input to output (well, frankly, I am almost certain that was the original wording in their bulletin when I read it more than a year ago, since then allegedly revised to say "from point A to point B of a musical event with exactly the same waveform shape as its input signal") with no "memorialized unnatural artifacts either before or after the input event", and I believe them.

A word on grounding; there is an internal two-position switch on the driver board, with position 1 intended for lifting the amps' ground I think; this is where I left it, and used cheater plugs on the Shunyata power cords (will soon do something better, like wrap the ground prong); star-grounding is then via the preamp; I have also lifted the ground on my DAC and that made a huge difference (this proved better than using a Shunyata digital Alpha power cord). Speaking of Shunyata, I am not convinced that the Zitron Alpha power cords will be better than my CX, simply because the CX were measured to deliver 200A in ~10us in this audiobeat article http://www.theaudiobeat.com/visits/shunyata_visit_interview.htm and the Alpha cords claim a rise time of something like 800ms for the same amount of current on their web site http://shunyata.com/index.php/power-cables-footer/84-alpha-pwr-cables/307-cobra-digital-4#!alphahc (again, no free lunch in electronics).

So if I were to pick one word to describe the 400s' sound, it would be 'natural'. But if I could pick just a few, they would be 'complete' and 'transparent-to-sources' save for ultimate power handling. Hyperbole perhaps, from a pair of flawed ears... Frankly, if we humans are naturally flawed by design, I cannot imagine any of the things we make to be perfect either (just highly accurate; see atomic clocks).

High end audio is a beautiful and gratifying (but expensive) journey. While that journey continues for consumers and manufacturers alike, these amplifiers are to me a major milestone worthy of a round of applause for the hard work, ingenuity, mind brilliance, couriage, exhaustive R&D, perseverence, and pathos & dedication that has apparently gone into them; and of course the sound (or lack of an inherent sound character)! Too bad not too many people have access to Spectral and in particular these Reference Standard products (available at only 3 dealers here in the US, at this point).

(BTW, these amps do warm up very quickly due to the new(?) output-section bias servos utilized; and run hotter than the 360S2's due to the Class A driver section and higher bias output section). Earlier comments can be found here http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?10035-First-thoughts-on-the-DMA-400

More than ever, I am looking forward to next season's BSO performances, led by Andris Nelsons. A couple of live broadcasts I heard on the radio from their summer home, Tanglewood, expectations are very high. So here he is from next season's brochure, coincidentally standing in my favorite seat at Syphony Hall, 2nd balcony C20

nilsons.jpg

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
That's a great photo and it clearly illustrates just how different the orchestra must sound from that location than from my usual seat, G21, seven rows back from the stage, just left of the center aisle. I'll have to listen from up there at some point. I'm quite optimistic about the future of the BSO.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Yes the sound is quite different, based on my recent visits to the Pops in May/June, from about where you are. You don't get the midrange immediacy from up there that you do from the floor up close. This is why we all have different references, even in the same venue, and try to shape our systems based on those [p]references; therefore, there is no such thing as _the_ right system, just shades of color.

PS: Major adjustments in the analog chain since you visited, and the amps seem to have changed character...

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I have sat where Peter sits (as his guest), in the 2nd balcony (left side) close to the stage, and on the 1st balcony (1st row, center). It's fascinating how different the sound is. My favorite was the 2nd balcony. The sound was incredibly detailed, warm and localized - and I could still see the individual musicians playing (something that was hard to do from the rear of the room).

This season I hope to sit in the 1st balcony on the sides, close to the stage.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Cartridge "loading" is mostly about controlling the natural RLC resonance at very HF in the phono chain - which can affect the phono stage depending on how susceptible it is to RFI - plus the current flowing through the cartridge (and consequently its dynamic range), as discussed in this thread http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...ing-A-Misnomer&p=258387&viewfull=1#post258387 onwards. My theory and experience has been that the phono stage is very critical in how immune (or not) it is to field-coupled RFI, plus ringing caused by said natural RLC resonance in the chain (which the resistive loading is attempting to attenuate); I think at the heart of all this is the phono stage's power supply and overall shielding.

To that extent, I have added an MIT Magnum Z Trap (which sports 6 filters in parallel) in series with the Pass XP-25's power cord, and low-frequency (anti-hum) shielding plus copper RFI-shielding on the amplification unit. Based on the audible results, the XP-25 does not appear to have a fanatical power supply like, say, the Simaudio 810LP I had auditioned in the past does, and certainly not the shielding an expensive and high-end phono must sport. The filters and shielding have effectively killed hum, and enabled me to turn loading up to 500-1K ohms, while before, the sound would get edgy above 250ohms. Such high a loading results in higher resolution and a more dynamic sound - as is also discussed in that same thread (higher loading results in a smaller current flowing through the cartridge, which reduces the counter force that acts to constrain the stylus movement due to Lenz's law, thus improving macro dynamics).

Here are some pictures of this work:

XP-25 shield top and bottom - copper over mu-metal (mu-metal is usually used for shielding below 100Hz, copper over that and really for RFI/EMI shielding); not shown is mu-metal over the XP-25's main transformer in the power supply:

xp25-shield1.jpg xp25-shield2.jpg

JMW 10.5i - additional 0.5g copper shield still keeps overall resonance in the green zone (at this point, the arm is a combination of steel, aluminum and now copper):

jmw-shield1.jpg

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Extensive work that appears to bring positive results. I appreciate you sharing your detailed efforts. Did you experience similar issues with your Ayre phono pre? I understand the Pass unit is more complicated unit. I'm still keeping the Simaudio 810 on my list when time comes for an upgrade.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Thanks. The Ayre was "immune" because I think it was much less resolving, though nice sounding overall. The higher noise in the Ayre was probably masking a lot of things, and the much lower noise in the XP-25 makes it more finicky.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Ack, What are your thoughts on the Sim Audio 810? It has the best noise specs I've ever seen for a phono stage.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing