ack's system - end of round 1

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Hey I just got the 30SS Series 2 an hour ago and am warming it up... out of the box the damn thing is just stunning - will post more details and photos on another thread.

@lydon - an 83dB speaker will probably not give you the desired dynamic contrasts you may be looking for; be careful with such insensitive speakers

@stargate: thanks for the info

BTW, with the new Spectral preamp in place and the newly arrived RR LPs last week I finally got the chance to fire up the A90 again, after 3 months. Dick Hyman on the stage, and oh my Gawd - the RR HDCD can't compare wrt presence, sorry... full review to follow in the next few days.

Last edited:

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Thanks Greg. Unfortunately, I can't fit the CLX in my room... would love to, though

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I have completed the speakers' crossover upgrade with Mundorf Supreme caps, CFC-14 coils, and some M-Resist resistors - thanks to everyone who helped me in another thread figure out capacitors. You can read my listening impressions here, starting with post #18 (or the entire thread, if you are curious). I am pretty certain the new Odysseys smoke the Summit X in just about every aspect, and is the first time I have felt the music's emotion in my system with you-are-there rendition. Speakers still lack in sheer scale of orchestra, visceral and ultra-fast bass, and will never achieve that, but still pretty spectacular there as well.

Last edited:

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
I have completed the speakers' crossover upgrade ...

Congrats on the updates and what sounds like spectacular results.

I agree, updating or replacing the x-over is critical to getting the most out of a hybrid electrostatic. I solved it by using a DSP-based speaker processor (DBX DriveRack 4800) which was more my speed in terms of control and flexibility to tweak over time. But I admire your tuning of the analog crossover which seems to have given you what you were looking for.

BTW- if you want a low end to really match your 'stats, check out an Infinite Baffle sub ;)

Wasatch

Feb 17, 2012
Layton, UT
Another Reel to Reel, very nice. I've been thinking about getting one also. Enjoy!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
There is really nothing like tape done right - and I am working on it. Though the Revox still sports the original electronics, it is in top shape, and the difference against CD and LP on the exact same studio recordings (but presumably different masterings) is really startling even at 3-3/4 ips - case in point, the original Santana album (a 40 year old tape now) vs the same on MoFi CD and LP and various other editions... no contest; play them side by side time-synced and the tape offers more realistic timbers and you-are-there feeling... On live large-orchestral performances, it really lacks in resolution even at 7-1/2ips.

So I am looking to modify the Revox with external electronics, make it switchable between lo- and hi-speed, IEC and NAB, and put in new heads. In the end, for repro and recording, I see me hiring somebody to rebuild the original circuit boards with modern parts; speed selection is a simple capacitor with a switch job, equalization is well documented on the Tape Project, and heads abound.

BTW, I finally finished all my crossover mods yesterday - Mundorf Supremes, CFC coils and M6 binding posts; really impressive results.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Sorry, the video clip that I posted just above with the R2R did not have very good sound;
I think this one is better.

* I would love to get back to R2R but the music software simply ain't there.
...Unless I would get back to recording my own playing. ...Enjoy what you have and don't. :b

Wasatch

Feb 17, 2012
Layton, UT
Sorry, the video clip that I posted just above with the R2R did not have very good sound;
I think this one is better.

* I would love to get back to R2R but the music software simply ain't there.
...Unless I would get back to recording my own playing. ...Enjoy what you have and don't. :b

There is a club you can join. I saw an ad either in Absolute Sound or Stereophile mags. It's pretty expensive though.

Wasatch

Feb 17, 2012
Layton, UT
What kind of club? Can you trade music there? And do you know the cost for joining?

Any link?

A club to buy tapes. By joining the club you got them at a reduced rate. If I have some time, I will try to find the ad.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Sounds good mate! :b

Yup, few people here at WBF are into R2R but for new people who like to join,
the software is rather hard to find, and not necessarily your music genre.
R2R sounds great, but like turntables they are fussy, not that practical, and just not as available as music you can now download from the Internet, and that can play non-stop for hours on end.
Try to do that with LPs (need flipping and cleaning every 20 minutes or so) ...
And try to cue a tune from an open R2R tape ...

Old audiophiles are a niche of individuals with cruel rituals, and a lot of patience. :b
{And access is limited to what you have and can find sometimes, and wear is real...}

New audiophiles have adapted to high res music from the Internet. :b
{Access is unlimited and always available; great for new musical discoveries.}

TMenacker

Feb 11, 2012
Hi,

Thanks for the great pictures. I hope you don't mind if I mention a few things. Spectral recommends 12" of airspace above the preamp. You can have a little less. Your preamp could eventually develop problems do to overheating. In your case, a cooling fan should be used. Also, we would suggest that you don't put the DMA-360 on top of a subwoofer. I assume you always put your SDR-3000 in standby when not in use. If not, be sure you do!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing