ack's system - end of round 1

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Hi Shane, I didn't see a link - but I imagine there can only be one type of "mu metal" and this http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/171065878030?lpid=82&chn=ps appears to be authentic. The type of material you eventually use should be based on its permeability value - for a table see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permeability_(electromagnetism) and you want the highest possible value (mu metal's is really high, as you can see); and for best results, you really want whatever solution you pick "stuck on" the box (e.g. steel or iron plates will only work to a certain degree if they are cut to the dimensions you want, and don't float away from the box, even by a small distance).

Having seen my own results - where this XP-25 has really nothing to do with what came out of the box - my suggestion is to approach the problem in holistic way as well: treat the entire chain (from the cartridge to phono, and everything around them) as a huge "antenna" for hum and RF pickup. Then, split the problem in two: a) address hum; b) address RF. Start with assessing how much hum and overall noise (hiss, white noise) you have with your preamp's gain at max; move around equipment (and the XP-25) to see how they might affect especially hum (the primary source of hum in my case was actually the Berkeley Alpha DAC, and I moved it from under the XP-25 to well above it, before shielding anything), experiment with grounding (minor improvement with lifting the Alpha's ground in my case), use a magnetometer to figure out magnetic fields (or even a compass), experiment with phono cables, etc. So optimize any electrical and positional dependencies first, then attempt to shield.

For reference, the video above shows just about everything I have done with the shields, but not the following: rearranging some equipment; the MIT Magnum Z-trap in-series with the XP-25's power cord; mu-metal around its power transformer; the fact the XP-25 is now connected to its own dedicated line with a Shunyata Defender next to it; lifting of the ground in the Berkeley and my amps (so, star-grounding at the preamp chassis); the use of shielded power cords all around; loading the unused input of the XP-25 with custom RCAs sporting loading resistors; using input #1 as opposed to the more noisy #2 (why the heck that is, I don't know); and finally, the influence of the phono cable (an extremely important factor). It would be an understatement to say that EVERYTHING I have done made an improvement, so just shielding the XP-25 isn't likely to do it all.

Obviously, I have taken a fanatical, if not maniacal, approach to addressing hum and hiss/noise in the XP-25; and the simple reason is that the XP-25 appears to me to be substandardly built in that regard, and was apparently meant to be set up exactly as shown in the various Pass demos, photos et al - far away from everything else; and even then, I don't believe you get the maximum out of it. Contrast its construction to, say, the Moon 810LP, whose shields and power supply execution are truly phenomenal, plus the board floats on gel. I should point out that I had NO hum or noise/hiss issues with the 810, when I had it in for evaluation; if it only sounded as good - but I give credit to the 810 for inspiring me to work on the XP-25 (I have photos of the 810's innards, if you are interested). Therefore, yes, "substandard" is the best way I can describe the XP-25 in that regard, but boy, does the whole analog chain rock right now and outclasses my digital by a very wide margin (i.e. only now am I hearing the hi-rez nature of analog recordings through the LP medium).

Finally, to quantify the results, I would characterize them as truly night and day, and in terms of effectiveness of each shield, mumetal was as effective at killing hum as the copper shield was at reducing high frequency noise, and both very dramatic. Overall, the shields did half the work, the rest of it is due to the rest of the changes I described.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Comparing my modified Alpha DAC with the Alpha Reference

Time for a little comparison between my modified Alpha DAC and the Alpha Reference. In short, with up to 16-bit HDCD, neither I nor a friend could hear any material differences, while using the same digital cables and interconnects, plugged into the same power conditioning, with both DACs driven simultaneously by my transport, for an easy A/B on the preamp (where switching between inputs exhibits no pops or ticks, either); though, I had to use slightly different power cords (swapping them at the every end didn't make a difference either). We did extensive A/B and "blind" A/B/X to no avail. I tried to convince him there was an ever-so-slight improvement in bass articulation through the Ref, but he would not agree. It is possible there are material differences with hi-rez program, but I haven't any, nor a music server. My conclusion is that either I don't have the system and/or ears to tell any differences, or the audible improvements I did hear (and PeterA attested to) after my mods (and described in the thread in the previous post) are also present in the Reference. Finally, both DACs playing RBCD/HDCD are still far far away from my analog in terms of resolution, presence, timbre and even sheer bass heft: classic differences between lo-rez and hi-rez media.

Looking at the pictures below, there are a number of things I noticed:

1. Power supply: only material difference appears to be in the transformers (well, OK, the fuse too)
  2. Output section: they are deceptively similar, but there are subtle differences
  3. The Reference is much better shielded (including a shield under the top cover), and the approach is similar to the one I took
  4. The most obvious difference on the main board is in the digital section (new clock is claimed, perhaps new digital filters, and other goodies) - BTW, the Reference has done away with the BADA input for an extra SPDI/F
  5. Another obvious difference is the new ceramic main board in the Reference (beautiful, BTW)

Other things I noticed for the first time in both DACs:

1. Digital ground is completely isolated from signal ground (and probably chassis)
  2. I measure a 10ohm resistance between chassis ground and signal ground (at the output RCAs), as if the analog section is 'floating' ?!? - there have been great discussions about floating grounds recently (and I am not referring to "grounding" devices)
  3. Notice that next to the screws holding the output section down (and really carrying chassis ground) - i.e. top left/MH2, bottom left/MH5 and bottom right - there are capacitors connected to them (i.e. C255, C249 - though it doesn't look there IS a capacitor there, unless it's underneath the board - and another one not visible close to the right screw); that's really great! More interestingly, resistance between the screws/chassis-ground and after those capacitors varies: 10ohms for the top, 49ohms for the bottom screws - is this an indication of multiple ground planes?!?

All in all, the Reference's execution appears to be outstanding, as is the new case (really silky and beautiful)! But frankly, I was also hoping for a new output section as well...

Alpha Reference main board:
alpha-ref-main-board.jpg

Alpha Reference output section:
alpha-ref-output-section.jpg

Alpha Series1 output section:
alpha-series1-output-section.jpg

Alpha Reference power supply:
alpha-ref-power-supply.jpg

Alpha Series1:
alpha-series1-both-boards.JPG

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Time for a little comparison between my modified Alpha DAC and the Alpha Reference. In short, with up to 16-bit HDCD, neither I nor a friend could hear any material differences, while using the same digital cables and interconnects, plugged into the same power conditioning, with both DACs driven simultaneously by my transport, for an easy A/B on the preamp (where switching between inputs exhibits no pops or ticks, either); though, I had to use slightly different power cords (swapping them at the every end didn't make a difference either). We did extensive A/B and "blind" A/B/X to no avail. I tried to convince him there was an ever-so-slight improvement in bass articulation through the Ref, but he would not agree. It is possible there are material differences with hi-rez program, but I haven't any, nor a music server. My conclusion is that either I don't have the system and/or ears to tell any differences, or the audible improvements I did hear (and PeterA attested to) after my mods (and described in the thread in the previous post) are also present in the Reference. Finally, both DACs playing RBCD/HDCD are still far far away from my analog in terms of resolution, presence, timbre and even sheer bass heft: classic differences between lo-rez and hi-rez media.

Looking at the pictures below, there are a number of things I noticed:

1. Power supply: only material difference appears to be in the transformers (well, OK, the fuse too)
  2. Output section: they are deceptively similar, but there are subtle differences
  3. The Reference is much better shielded (including a shield under the top cover), and the approach is similar to the one I took
  4. The most obvious difference on the main board is in the digital section (new clock is claimed, perhaps new digital filters, and other goodies) - BTW, the Reference has done away with the BADA input for an extra SPDI/F
  5. Another obvious difference is the new ceramic main board in the Reference (beautiful, BTW)

Other things I noticed for the first time in both DACs:

1. Digital ground is completely isolated from signal ground (and probably chassis)
  2. I measure a 10ohm resistance between chassis ground and signal ground (at the output RCAs), as if the analog section is 'floating' ?!? - there have been great discussions about floating grounds recently (and I am not referring to "grounding" devices)
  3. Notice that next to the screws holding the output section down (and really carrying chassis ground) - i.e. top left/MH2, bottom left/MH5 and bottom right - there are capacitors connected to them (i.e. C255, C249 - though it doesn't look there IS a capacitor there, unless it's underneath the board - and another one not visible close to the right screw); that's really great! More interestingly, resistance between the screws/chassis-ground and after those capacitors varies: 10ohms for the top, 49ohms for the bottom screws - is this an indication of multiple ground planes?!?

All in all, the Reference's execution appears to be outstanding, as is the new case (really silky and beautiful)! But frankly, I was also hoping for a new output section as well...

Alpha Reference main board:
View attachment 19019

Alpha Reference output section:
View attachment 19020

Alpha Series1 output section:
View attachment 19023

Alpha Reference power supply:
View attachment 19021

Alpha Series1:
View attachment 19022

Very interesting Ack.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
One more picture, of the top plate and its shield

alpha-ref-top-cover.jpg

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
If your mods can make an Alpha DAC sound as good as the Alpha Reference, you should package your mods as a kit or offer the mods installed.

I'm sure there are lots of Alpha DAC owners that would buy it.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
If your mods can make an Alpha DAC sound as good as the Alpha Reference, you should package your mods as a kit or offer the mods installed.

I'm sure there are lots of Alpha DAC owners that would buy it.

I was thinking the same thing!

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
It is important to take everything anyone says into context. What I showed is the result of driving both DACs with an extremely well engineered transport - that is merely one data point. Thus, it would be easy for me to believe if someone else driving them with different sources (e.g. noisy USB, high-jitter transport, etc) were to claim the Reference is far superior to any modded Alpha1 or Alpha2, in which case I would say its new clock and probably PLL loop would be responsible for such a finding. I am also pretty sure that deep bass articulation is better in the Reference even if by a hair, which is to say that with much better speakers the differences may be even more pronounced. Finally, also easy to believe if someone were to claim the Reference is superior with hi-rez material (given the Ref's new digital section).

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I had the pleasure of listening to Ack's system again yesterday. He continues to tinker and make some modifications. Most recently, he has worked on his speakers' crossovers and adjusted the sub crossover point. So here are some impressions of what I heard. Since I met Tasos, it was clear that he and I are interested in the same thing when it comes to audio reproduction, namely accuracy. I have come to realize that we are approaching that goal from different directions, but that has lead me to become more open minded and question some of my previous assumptions.

If someone had asked me to describe what I thought a panel/Spectral/MIT/Ortofon A90/Alpha DAC system would sound like in a room with little treatment, I would have said “very clean, detailed, and analytical.” After first hearing Tasos’ system a couple of years ago, this is indeed what I heard. However, with all of that resolution and articulation, it sounded a bit thin, somewhat thread bear and lacked a little body, weight and warmth. And yet, it accurately portrayed the clean, fast, detailed sound that I hear at the BSO. It just did not portray the warmth of the string sections, the overall tonal beauty of live instruments and the sonic impact and weight of the timpani or percussion section. The next couple of times I heard his system, reductions in noise and the new Spectral 400 amps only increased what I thought I had heard before, but they did not improve what I thought was a generally tipped up or slightly bright tonal balance. In other words, it sounded very much like the way I've read others describe Spectral/MIT based systems. And I thought that the panel speakers and A90 probably just reinforced these sonic characteristics.

Yesterday's visit proved to be very interesting and surprising because the overall sound is now quite different. I think with the changes to the crossover, the preference for the SD setting on his MIT speaker cable network boxes and the decision to turn off the sub for most analog music have resulted in a more tonally balanced presentation and one which sounds less fatiguing and much more natural. Even imaging has improved slightly. All of the speed and resolution that I heard before has remained, but a bit of warmth and body now add a naturalness to the presentation. Tone has improved. Dyamics and scale continue to be excellent. Overall, it is much more convincing. As such, I found it to be considerably more enjoyable and easy to listen to. It still has the resolution, but it is now less sterile, much more involving and I dare say, a more accurate portrayal of what is on the recording. It also sounds more like what I hear in row G at the BSO. This is not how I would have described the sound of this system just a month ago, but here we are, and yesterday, it really sounded good. Congratulations Tasos, I really think you have improved your sound and to me, it is now more realistic. Well done. Your efforts have really paid off.

As a Pass/Transparent guy, I have a much better appreciation of just how good Spectral and MIT can sound in a well thought out system. And I am very impressed with the results of your work on the speakers.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I also joined Peter in the listening session at Tasos' home. Here are my thoughts:

I was really looking forward to hearing Tasos' system for a few reasons: panels (my experience with these are limited), Spectral electronics, and his mods to the XP-25. I expected to enjoy the system but I was taken aback with what I heard and I am still wrapping my head around it.

I had heard Spectral 3 times before yesterday. It's hard for me to know how much it is contributing to the presentation I heard, but I can say this: I heard the orchestra layers (by that I mean individual sections and/or instruments) clearly delineated, each with proper timbre, weight and definition. The sum of those three qualities = beauty (for me). It took a bit for me to get past the difference in soundstage - most instruments were on the same 'plane' in between the speakers - whereas I'm used to a lot of depth (something I admit to enjoying very much). But whereas the presentation I hear at my own home is more spatial, it is not as defined and solid. I have some work to do!

Like Peter and Tasos, I am also after accuracy - especially in weight and timbre. My goal is to hear beauty without getting there through colorations (e.g. euphoric tube midrange) and I really care about leading edge transients, texture and timbre. I hear all this when I go to the BSO.

In any case, I'm guessing a lot of what I heard was Tasos' modified Martin Logans ability to portray the midrange through its panels as opposed to a 6" midrange woofer. This coupled with Spectral's clean and fast delivery.

I was also taken aback by how much treble there was. Here was a system that had no blanket on it; it simply exploded in highs that were extended with such clear transients that it was an ultra 'crisp' sounding system with virtually no audible distortion or fatigue, and best of all, it sounded natural and not tipped up.

Thanks for hosting such an enjoyable session, Tasos. You should be very proud of your system.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Thanks Peter and Ian, very thoughtful and honest! Peter has a very keen ear, and I find his comments - past and present - very much in line with what I think of the sound of this system, otherwise I wouldn't be working on it all this time. I value honest opinion and not the typical pat in the back you see on AudioShark - it's what sets sophisticated, critical listeners apart from bullshitters.

So yesterday indeed I had the distinct pleasure to host madfloyd - whom I met in person for the first time, though we've been having numerous email exchanges over the years - and Peter again, to demonstrate a couple of things, and obliterate a couple of myths:

1. How hard it is to integrate a sub and bass in general into a room - not a myth
  2. The effect of "cartridge loading" of a LOMC - a misnomer of a term
  3. The myth that electrostatics can't really scale dynamically very well, or don't have enough body
  4. The differences in bass dimensionality between [this] analog and [this] digital (redbook)

After years of tinkering with the sub, in phase and out of phase with a variety of crossover points, the bottom line is this (in my room): _good_ analog - with its tremendous bass dimensionality (don't confuse with warmth) and tautness - just doesn't need it when driving full-range speakers, and if I wanted the deepest of bass I'd rather switch speakers. And using it in the past in reverse-phase to tame a 50Hz peak was just wrong. Peter's comments about tonal balance issues in the past were all my doing (all of past auditions were done with the sub in reverse phase).

RBCD on the other hand, due to lack of such dimensionality, does need it. So I cross it over at 23Hz now, and in phase, when playing most Redbook. We also all agree that this sub can't keep up with certain material, e.g. kickdrums. The difference in bass dimensionality is easily demonstrated with recordings like RR's Symphonic Dances in HDCD and recent LP editions. How come? Simple: the LP medium is capable of encoding the hi-rez recordings made on tape, and Redbook just can't - I could really care less about vinyl as a medium with all its intricacies, but I do care about the hi-rez recordings it can carry, and I happen to have a lot of vinyl. Any Redbook I have ever heard proves to me one thing: that it has a performance plateau much lower than vinyl's, and therefore, I am really [unfairly] comparing a lo-rez vs a hi-rez medium. Having said that, I love all hi-rez digital I have ever heard, as it should be. The real problem with vinyl is that it's expensive to do right.

Regarding "cartridge loading", the differences between 500 (where I settled long ago) and the common 100 ohms were also staggering: much higher dynamic headroom at 500, more openness, more realism. I know Peter is coming around to that, after me having pierced his eardrum about it numerous times :D There have been numerous discussions on this at WBF, and at least the gain in dynamic headroom is easily measurable.

Ah dynamic headroom... this brings me to the next question: how does analog fair against Redbook; there have been numerous discussions about this as well, here at WBF. I maintain - and demonstrated - that analog's dynamic headroom and range can be superior to Redbook's (at least against this DAC). By far the best recording I have is Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique on RR-11 LP - a rare LP to find - and simply put, the exclamations yesterday on that LP were "F*ck!". This is what you get from direct-to-disc LPs; I don't have any CD that is as dynamic as this LP, and I have plenty of both.

Which brings me to the last point - electrostatics' dynamic scale and body; or more accurately, this hybrid's abilities with two woofers, a completely redone Mundorf set of three crossovers, a structurally-strengthened panel, RoadKill inside the cabinets for vibration control, and other lesser goodies. To put it bluntly, I feel it is almost equal to the Q3, in terms of dB output; however, when you consider the spaciousness and enormity of soundstage of the panels plus the speed and information richness, I am having a tough time longing for a Q3, at this point. Regarding body, it depends; madfloyd's comment was something like "people say electrostatics don't have body, these have got all the body I would be looking for"; personally I think the Q3 can't do tubas or other wind like these panels, though timpani does have more impact...

I agree with madfloyd that there is more depth through the Magicos, but I also find the Q3s' entire presentation more recessed - beautiful in itself... And yes, these Spectrals have tremendous clean treble energy.

Most important of all is that we are all having a blast at these gatherings, while being brutally honest about each others' systems.

Finally, I wanted to capture the frequency response again, w/o the sub or other tricks, and this is basically what we were listening to yesterday - just enough warmth:

Odyssey-Frequency-Response-NoSub-NoWoofer-Attenuation-both.jpg

Next up, replacing the woofers with a tad-faster aluminum cones, for a bit better bass articulation

PS: I will save the discussion on SD vs HD on the 90.1 MIT speaker cables for a later time.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Here's an interesting article by Roger Skoff (of XLO) that first appeared in the January 2015 TAS: http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/electrical-engineering-and-the-high-end/; this excerpt discusses the so-called "impedance matching" fallacy of certain cables:

For audio frequencies, though, it’s not only not a factor; it may also even be impossible to deal with. Speakers, for example, and with very few exceptions (including certain planar magnetics, like those from Magnepan) present a very complex load to an amplifier, with—despite whatever nominal impedance they may be rated at—an impedance that changes with frequency and, typically, a strong impedance peak at the fundamental or system resonance of every driver. Although some companies have claimed to offer “impedance matching” speaker cables, such a thing is simply not possible. The speaker (system) doesn’t have a matchable impedance, and even if it did, the output impedance of the amplifier (which for a no-loss transmission line to be achieved would also have to be matched) would still be different (and typically much lower than) that of the speaker, and no match would be possible.

For interconnects, too, if they are to be used with unbalanced (“single-ended,” usually with RCA connectors) lines, audio-frequency impedance matching is not possible. Unbalanced audio circuits are normally “loaded,” meaning that a low source impedance (typically in the range of 50 to 250 ohms) is terminated with a high load impedance (typically 7k to 10k for line level or 47k to 100k ohms for phono), and so, again, there’s nothing there to match.
Where audio-frequency impedance matching is used is in balanced lines (usually, in the U.S., with an XLR connector), for microphones, and professional or high-end audio equipment.

The only other thing I would throw in is the variable impedance of the phono preamp itself, which we all like to play with, and one can imagine what sort of "impedance matching" these companies sell you in a phono cable...

Last edited:

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Regarding the improved imaging that PeterA commented on upthread, I've been scratching my head as to why that is - and I certainly hear it too the last few months; it's really evident with mono voice when switching between stereo/mono on the preamp, where the vocal image does not "move" (and is in fact dead-center) though the rest of the soundstage (with stereo recordings) is affected as you would expect... Then I just read this recent fascinating post by Ralph Karsten http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...-end-audio-Yes&p=314989&viewfull=1#post314989

I did often used to wonder how magnetic planers and ESLs could image as well as they do; upon doing some study I discovered why. In a nutshell: The human ear/brain system makes temporary copies of any sound it hears and then looks for similar sounds in the very near term. If it finds a similar sound it uses that information to help determine the source. Short-term echoes in a room caused by rear-firing information from a loudspeaker can take advantage of that capability in the human ear/brain system to improve imaging and depth.

Originally, I thought I must have tinkered with cartridge azimuth, but I hear it with digital too. So after reading Ralph's comments, I recall making toe-in micro-adjustments, while electrically, nothing has changed. That COULD POSSIBLY indicate affecting timing with the rear soundwave, improving imaging... don't know for sure, but it's an interesting twist to the story.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Regarding the improved imaging that PeterA commented on upthread, I've been scratching my head as to why that is - and I certainly hear it too the last few months; it's really evident with mono voice when switching between stereo/mono on the preamp, where the vocal image does not "move" (and is in fact dead-center) though the rest of the soundstage (with stereo recordings) is affected as you would expect... Then I just read this recent fascinating post by Ralph Karsten http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...-end-audio-Yes&p=314989&viewfull=1#post314989

Originally, I thought I must have tinkered with cartridge azimuth, but I hear it with digital too. So after reading Ralph's comments, I recall making toe-in micro-adjustments, while electrically, nothing has changed. That COULD POSSIBLY indicate affecting timing with the rear soundwave, improving imaging... don't know for sure, but it's an interesting twist to the story.

Ack, Are you still listening to the SD setting on your speaker cables? I have two thoughts on why I observed the better imaging. Perhaps it is the setting on your MIT speaker cables. I notice it every time you switch the setting from HD to SD. Everything becomes more focused, and this happened again the last time I heard your system. It also happened in my system with my dynamic/cone speakers. I don't know if this is the correct explanation, but it may be possible.

It could also be that we listened without your subwoofer for most of the music, especially analog. That may or may not affect timing of various soundwaves, as you note above.

I mention the MIT cables because last weekend we listened to MadFloyd's system again with his electrical changes. Both Al M. and I noticed that the images and overall sound was a bit blurry and unfocused when we first started listening to digital files. It sounded good but something was slightly off. As soon as we replaced the one remaining MIT interconnect in his system, between his DAC and Preamp, with a new cable without networks, suddenly everything popped into place and became much more solid, focused, palpable and convincing. It was startling, the improvement was so great and it was exactly in the areas of imaging that I noted in your system. With the MIT IC out of his system, Ian's sound was completely different and much more realistic on digital. The analog did not have the MIT in the chain. It could have been a system synergy thing.

Al even commented that it sounded like a phase issue with that MIT cable. I have said the same thing before. I'm not saying it is a phase issue per se, I'm just saying that that is what it sounded like to me. The audible effect was very similar to the audible effect of something being out of phase: unclear and unfocused. Sound with no point of origin. The HD setting may bring some other qualities that you like to your system, but I definitely preferred the SD setting in your system during my last visit, primarily because the sound was less diffuse.

But this is just a guess. The improved imaging could have nothing to do with those cable settings, and there might be a completely different explanation like the small changes in speaker position that you mentioned.

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Peter, the analog wasn't using any MIT, it was a Mogami interconnect.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Ack, Are you still listening to the SD setting on your speaker cables? I have two thoughts on why I observed the better imaging. Perhaps it is the setting on your MIT speaker cables. I notice it every time you switch the setting from HD to SD. Everything becomes more focused, and this happened again the last time I heard your system. It also happened in my system with my dynamic/cone speakers. I don't know if this is the correct explanation, but it may be possible.

It could also be that we listened without your subwoofer for most of the music, especially analog. That may or may not affect timing of various soundwaves, as you note above.

Recall, I had covered the switch for you guys, and as later revealed, it was always set to HD during that audition. Imaging is certainly blurred with the sub on, so it could be that. Blurring in the bass region is really evident with the sub on, hence single subs don't really work. At the end of the day, imaging is so sharp the last few months, and if it's not the toe-in or the sub, I don't know what else changed.... unless the Typhon took a whole 9 months to break in ?!? The most logical explanation is the sub also blurring the midrange - and I just didn't pay attention to it before - so we'll go with that.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Have finally managed to get effectively "flat" response from 35Hz on up, excluding the peak at 50Hz - new 10" aluminum woofer and crossover changes. Never really been a fan of the downward-sloped response: the bass is warm and exciting but unnatural and in the end just plain wrong; if you want more bass, get more woofers and move more air. Instead, with these changes, bass pitch definition and microdynamics are significantly improved, and in fact, the bass is a lot weightier because it's so much faster, tighter and cleaner and not just bloated. Lower midrange clarity also benefited significantly. For those who have a Summit X, listen carefully with the woofer attenuator a couple of notches below 0, like -2.

The new voicing came as a result of having spent time recently listening to the Magico Q5 and Q1, and the Rockport Altair II, plus some lesser speakers, all driven by the latest Spectral electronics. I was thrilled by the scale the Q1 can achieve (can easily carry a symphonic piece), the Q5's bass is nonpareil (and its entire performance is exceptional), while I found the Altair II generally on par with my heavily modified Logans (and its treble is really exceptional, unlike the Q1's, at least as set up), though less resolving than the Logans (its bass was also much thinner, but I attribute that to the MIT power cords which give me the same effect... I really don't think it's the speakers, which I've heard in the distant past and sounded fuller in the bass).

I have to admit I have a lot respect for speaker manufacturers who spend countless hours voicing their products, and once more, I could care less about any ported design, from an accuracy point of view.

aluminum-woofer.JPG

Odyssey-Frequency-Response-NoSub-Woofer-Attenuation-New-Drivers-both.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing