Capital Audiofest 2011 is on!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks for the notice. Looks like a nice cozy show! Trust Greg will be there to report on our behalf.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Thanks for the notice. Looks like a nice cozy show! Trust Greg will be there to report on our behalf.

My pleasure AMIR. I informed him of this site.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I attended the 2011 Cappitol Audiofest to day just outside DC in Rockville,MD. They abandoned the governor's mansion for a real hotel. Despite oppressive heat, a choice had to be made between cool and quite.The room HVAC was that loud.
There was plenty of free parking. Last years price of ten dollars was doubled. Participation from local dealers included My favorite JS Audio of Bethesda, MD DEjaVu Audio of Mclean, Va was present. The show is undoubtedly still in its infancy. It shows significant promise for growth. If it is to be major show, downtown DC has to be its' ultimate venue.

Despite its' growth, it manged to maintain its "clubby" atmosphere. Horns aplenty and SETs.

Dan D'Agostino was there with his new amps paired to the Wilson with SASHA. The halls were a buzz with the usual love hate relationship for Wilson Audio. IMO Dans' amps have a jewel like appearence that are gorgeous. Most remarkable is after a significant workout with the HVAC off!, the amps were touched by yours truly and were room temp cool! Sound was on a par with Boulder and Spectral. It's hard to rave at these prices. Personally today's' products underachieve based on thier prices.

IMO the show was worth the time and money and should continue to grow.

If you are near by ,there is one day left on Sunday

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Dan Agostino was there with his new amps paired to the Wilson with SASHA. The halls were a buzz with the usual love hate relationship for Wilson Audio. IMO Dans' amps have a jewel like appearence that are gorgeous. Most remarkable is after a significant workout with the HVAC off!, the amps were touched by yours truly and were room temp cool!
Really? When I touched the ones at CES they were cooking and cooking good! It would be strange for them to run cool as I don't think they are switching designs.

Else you all are so used the hot summers in DC that anything feels cool to you. :D

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Really? When I touched the ones at CES they were cooking and cooking good! It would be strange for them to run cool as I don't think they are switching designs.

Else you all are so used the hot summers in DC that anything feels cool to you. :D

Yes Amir. It was 90 degrees plus outside. They were running the demos off and on. They cooled the room. Shut A/C/ off and did a demo. The last cut in the demo was Frank Sinatra in front of a bag band with 106db peaks according to the Wilson rep. Upon completion I touched the copper heat sinks expecting them to have that Krell class A sizzle. I was able to rest my hand on the amp and it was cool. Quite remarkable. Krell amps are space heaters at idle.

Caveat: I never met an amp that could not be pushed to warmth.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I did have occasion to hear the Tidal Speakers. The monitor or bookshelf model was quite refined. The drivers and sound was reminiscent of Evolution Acoustics.

Sadly MBL continued to produce a sound unworthy of its' reputation. UHA of R@2 fame was once again the sponsor.

Noteworthy was a $150k horn speaker from GOTO. http://www.theaudioeagle.com/index.html I was mesmerized.

Joseph Audio repeated thier excellent sound from last year. If I were in the market for a stand mounted speaker I would definitely give them an audition.

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I did have occasion to hear the Tidal Speakers. The monitor or bookshelf model was quite refined. The drivers and sound was reminiscent of Evolution Acoustics.

Sadly MBL continued to produce a sound unworthy of its' reputation. UHA of R@2 fame was once again the sponsor.

Noteworthy was a $150k horn speaker from GOTCO. I was mesmerized.

Joseph Audio repeated thier excellent sound from last year. If I were in the market for a stand mounted speaker I would definitely give them an audition.

The sound of the $7000 Pulsare belies its size. I concur.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing