System sounds different on different days?

caesar

May 30, 2010
To celebrate the Chinese New year, I went to my favorite Chinese restaurant. The pot stickers there are the best in town already, but today they were especially delicious. I know the chef, and the recipe is the same and the ingredients are always the freshest. So was it me and my taste buds, or was the pork fresher or better tasting, or were the ingredients slightly better than usual?

Coming back to systems, show attendees always talk about the systems sounding better later in the show. My system always sounds GREAT, but some days my system sounds AMAZING. Is it me? Am I more relaxed or better able to focus? Or is it, as some claim, the electricity "quieter", or is it something has settled/ "unsettled", or yet something else?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
There was a discussion about this in another thread, although I can't remember which one. I am firmly in the camp of assigning it to how one feels, as opposed to equipment playing a role. Mood plays a huge factor IMO, as does being relaxed, and having an open mind. That, combined with some proper lighting, and perhaps a beverage of choice , are the reasons that some days my system rocks more than normal.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
I am firmly in the camp of assigning it to how one feels, as opposed to equipment playing a role.
And I am firmly in the other camp ...:)

When you say amazing, it it that the sound is "cleaner", has more life, seems to have separated even more than usual from the speakers, is able to go louder without starting to irritate, all these sort of things?

Frank

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Seeing as my voltage regulation isn't in yet, I get my system sounding different at different times of the day. :( But mostly it's just fine :)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Humidity and temperature also play a role. My system sounds best on cold winter nights.

Last edited:

Old Listener

Jul 18, 2010
SF Bay area
naturelover.smugmug.com
> System sounds different on different days?

To celebrate the Chinese New year, I went to my favorite Chinese restaurant. The pot stickers there are the best in town already, but today they were especially delicious. ... So was it me and my taste buds, or was the pork fresher or better tasting, or were the ingredients slightly better than usual?

Of course, things taste different on different visits. Recordings sound different on different occasions. All sorts of things determine how good a particular piece of music sounds to me when I play it. How fresh is it for me? (How long since I last heard it?) How does it fit my mood now?

There can be physical causes for a difference in my reaction. 40+ years ago, I measured background sound levels in my apartment. The 1am sound level was 20 dB lower than the daytime level.

Bill

caesar

May 30, 2010
> System sounds different on different days?

Of course, things taste different on different visits. Recordings sound different on different occasions. All sorts of things determine how good a particular piece of music sounds to me when I play it. How fresh is it for me? (How long since I last heard it?) How does it fit my mood now?

There can be physical causes for a difference in my reaction. 40+ years ago, I measured background sound levels in my apartment. The 1am sound level was 20 dB lower than the daytime level.

Bill

Yes, there certainly are a lot of factors out there that can have an impact. I have seen some bands play a dozen times or so. They sound different (in a minor way) every time. I always wonder - is it me or is it them?

To me a lot of the emotion of the artist or the performance is conveyed by the pauses between the notes. If I can connext with the artist, I perceive the pauses better and connect better. So yes, it seems that our perception, our energy, our ability to focus as well as ambient noise levels, equipment noise levels, etc., all play a part.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
no, it does not sound different on different days, except that i recently discovered that my isolation footers 'settled' on my heavier components. about every 6 weeks they need to be removed and 'agitated' to retain the 'action' for ultimate isolation.

i do have the Equi=tech whole power grid isolation transformer so i get 'late-night' power all the time. and HVAC so my humidity and temp are constant.

certainly my moods vary; so sometimes i want the simplicty of my music server, instead of vinyl or tape. my perspective on the music changes and so my concentration level and emotional response.

when something sounds 'off' in the system it's because there is a problem. with 5 arms and cartridges, and a tubed phono stage, there are components which do change over time and require some tweaking. so you do need to stay on your toes and be open to the system having issues which may need adjustment. however; it is very much the exception that these need attention, and it's not like they go back and forth from bad to good and back again. with multiple sources there is always the oportunity to compare and notice changes in one source.

JHM

Banned
Jan 20, 2011
When something sounds "off," I use the Cardas/Ayre Burn-In and System Enhancement CD.

hifidelity1

Jan 19, 2011
As of late when find something is off, it's mostly due to mood or sinuses which at times I just dont listen, because it makes my tweakeritus act up! (lol)

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Well I've narrowed down to when my system is off. It's usually when I'm handed some local metal band's files to master!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing