Would you purchase an upgrade for a car stereo to an "elite" brand?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Many folks enjoy their "crappy sounding" car radios more than audiophiles enjoy their megabuck systems. After all, you don't hear people tweaking, complaining, upgrading, etc., about their car systems. You do hear people talk about enjoying music in their cars, though.

Mark Levinson, Burmenster, Naim, B&W, Bang & Olufsen, etc., have all gotten into the luxury car business. The Audi A8, for example, wants to charge $6,300 for the Bang Olufsen upgrade. It definitely looks cool, but are these "better" brands better than the regular car stereos?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The aftermarket audio industry is huge. There are also auto sound quality competitions globally. So we get to time money and effort. $6,300 actually looks small compared to a custom job using similar drivers, amps, crossovers and head unit. The savings are in the labor and lack of need take things apart, put things together, rewire and to manufacture enclosures.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I would not..a few years ago, I had a high dollar car stereo. Multiple class A amps, ADS speakers with separate tweets etc., JL sub, Alpine top of line front end, all Audioquest cabling. While the system sounded better than a stock HK or the like, it wasn't even close to a fair hi-end home system and cost close to the same. Imaging and depth in a car environment is very difficult and a car is always too noisy... all except maybe a Rolls that is:D

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
A definite yes for me when it comes to quality execution rather than slapping a brand. Harman group for example does extensive analysis and optimization for the car. I went to their factory and it was quite impressive to see the new models there before release and the work they do with the designers to get better fidelity. My JBL Synthesis system in my Land Rover is exceptionally clean and images very well. Tonally it is too good to be true.

That said, I am not too sure about B & O. :) I would say go and take a listen. Bring your favorite CD and take it for a spin. If like me you spend a lot of time in your car, then I say it is worth the extra money to get good performance.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi
I did find the Mark Levinson in some Lexus very, very good .. I would also say that I lower my expectations oncew I step in a ca. The environment is not propitious to the best sound so I would not go overboard...

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
If I didn't have my junky car audio in the noisy car environment, where would I listen to my horribly mastered modern pop recordings?

Tim

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I probably spend about 25 hours out of a 40 hour work-week in my car, and I rarely even turn on my car stereo. Maybe it's because I'm in and out of my car 25-30 times a day, so I don't really get a chance to listen to much music in its entirety. I do appreciate it when I'm on a long haul though, but not enough to warrant a better installation.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Personally I'd rather go with whatever options the car manufacturer provides rather than go custom. I just don't like the thought of screwing around with a car's electrical system or risk possible damage to the interior during installation. When it's time to sell the car, it's also tough to get the investment back.

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
I've got an upgraded Bose stereo in the Porsche, an upgraded JBL system in the Tundra and a base system in the Volvo. I like the sound quality in the Volvo the best of the three systems.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I currently have a 2006 Passat (with the 3.6L engine) and a 2011 Ford Edge Limited. The Passat came with Dynaudio speakers. The Edge has the Sony system. They both sound decent. I used to have a Lexus SC400 and it had the Nakamichi stereo which sounded really good.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing