Are CDs dying out in the market place?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
OK. I just bought a new sub after reading numerous threads here about how multiple subs can improve the sound of the bass in your room. Frantz was instrumental in pushing me to start down this path. Anyway Frantz recommended a Lyle Lovett CD to buy in order to help dial in the new sub. I braved the snow today and drove to the "big" city of Bloomington, IN to find said CD. My frist stop was SAMs Club as I had to go there anyway. SAMs used to have a decent CD collection. No more. They only have a few to choose from. Next I drove to K-Mart which used to have huge amounts of CDs. Aside from the interesting mass of humanity that was there, they hardly had any CDs and no Lyle Lovett. Next I drove to my local record store that I normally only buy LPs from. Although they had more CDs than either SAMs or K-Mart, they have far more vinyl. Again, no Lyle Lovett. I thought this was going to be a simple task and it turned out not to be so. I ended up ordering the CD from Amazon. I did check for downloads, but couldn't find anything besides MP3s and I refuse to buy those.

Which leads me to my point: Are big box stores giving up on allocating space to sell CDs because they just aren't selling very well due to downloads? Maybe Best Buy or Target would have had it, but I lost my confidence after 3 stops. Maybe this has been going on for awhile and I just haven't recognized it because I hardly ever shop for CDs. Any thoughts?

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Luckily in Australia (east coast anyway) a mob called JB Hi-Fi has just about cornered the market, in part because they always carried an excellent range of the more esoteric stuff. They have moved into DVDs, hardware, just about everything that opens and shuts in music and video, but still carry an extremely expansive collection of CDs. Very good energy in the store, tons of specials bins, always a good experience shopping, apart from the overloud PA system.

So there is a way of doing it well as a retail operation ...

Frank

MiTT

Jun 28, 2010
Thornton, Colorado
Hard media in brick and mortar stores is growing increasingly frustrating if you ask me. Similar to you, I braved the snow today just to look for something new. I used to have good luck at Best Buy, Barnes & Nobel or Borders. All of them at one time had decent music selections, but no more. DVD's and Blu Ray's abound, but music is limited to whatever is playing on the radio (I.e. Mostly dreck). I am fortunate to have some good music stores not too far away and thank god for online sources, but I fear that the days of running to the local record store for a quick fix are sadly gone.

Jay_S

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
San Francisco - East Bay
It looks like there's not much left at the big retail store chains. I'm lucky to live near Amoeba Music, a large independent store. Otherwise, there are still quite a few internet retailers.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
In a word, yes. Even internet CD sales will be replaced by direct downloads, if they haven't already been.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
In a word, yes. Even internet CD sales will be replaced by direct downloads, if they haven't already been.

Agreed.. Even DVDs are making an exit .. Heck!! even good old cash is being replaced by digital currency aka Debit/Credit/Charge Cards and even those physical mediawill be replaced by string of bits from a cellphone (Strangely enough quite common in Africa, Europe and Asia but not yet in the USA)

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
+1

With Netflix streaming, I haven't bought a DVD for quite a while. The only two DVD's I've bought have been freebies included in a CD I wanted. In some countries, you can walk up to a vending machine, key in a number with your cellphone and a can will pop out and be charged to your phone bill.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
A big yes from the Philippines. Japan seems to be the last bastion right now. Even Hong Kong is shrinking.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
MixUp, one of the largest music store chains in Mexico (owned by the powerful Carlos Slim conglomerate) are cutting half their store floor to make room for Apple/iTunes related ¨toys¨- now some CDs are "by-order" items and of course video stuff doubles in number to CDs all over.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Are big box stores giving up on allocating space to sell CDs because they just aren't selling very well due to downloads?

Yes.

Maybe Best Buy or Target would have had it...

Not likely.

Maybe this has been going on for awhile...

Yep, a few years. I'm guessing a 256kbps download of the specific track in question would have done the trick just fine. What song was it?

Tim

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
CD internet sellers (amazon, deep discount, cd universe, etc) are still doing very well. It's really the only way to have a reasonable inventory and prices; otherwise the customer base (outside of a handful of major metropolitan areas) is just too small.

MiTT

Jun 28, 2010
Thornton, Colorado
CD internet sellers (amazon, deep discount, cd universe, etc) are still doing very well. It's really the only way to have a reasonable inventory and prices; otherwise the customer base (outside of a handful of major metropolitan areas) is just too small.
Yes, online suppliers are my main source these days. I use Amazon, but also go to Music Direct and Acoustic Sounds for my fix's. Prefer to hit some of my local independent record stores when I can, but they're mostly on the south side of town and I'm on the north whereas my iPad is always with me.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Only reason BB and the like carry media is that they know they get a certain amount of sales per visit in the store on impulse/convenience purchases. They know exactly how much per visit, and the floorspace taken and store layout reflect this. Note how the media is usually in the middle of the store so it's quickest to pass through it to another section. They do not view themselves as a destination for media.

I'll be happy when CDs die provided that I can download the same or better audio quality. Less landfill and resources used to produce.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Yes.

Not likely.

Yep, a few years. I'm guessing a 256kbps download of the specific track in question would have done the trick just fine. What song was it?

Tim

She's Already Made Up Her Mind

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
My local BB and FS's have basically reduced their CD inventory by 75% in the last year. Only HMV has a somewhat more generous offering. I am starting to see DD giftcards or whatever you call them at FS especially, and I think that's where it's headed.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I know I predicted on another thread somewhere that CDs were going to go the way of the do-do bird, I just didn't realize how quickly it is already happening. Because I don't buy digits too much in the first place and normally buy them on line when I do, I wasn't aware of how CDs are being withdrawn from the commercial retail outlets. I was a little shocked even though some of you have seen this happening for awhile now. The funny thing was that even though I couldn't pick up a copy of the Lyle Lovett CD I wanted yesterday, I did come home with a new sealed copy of Mingus Tijuana Moods LP. The cover alone is worth the price of admission. I was blown away when I heard this last night. I found this to be a fabulous sounding recording and I really liked the music as well.

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

I agree. I can't help but wish I had bought FEDEX, UPS and DHL stock 20 years ago when retail e-commerce was just a dream.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing