Key principal in human auditory system

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
We hear many mentions of common audio terms like distortion and frequency response yet there is comparably little discussion of one of the most fundamental factors on how the human hearing system works and its profound impact on performance of digital systems. This is odd as the original research dates way back to 1933 at Bell Labs where experiments were performed to understand the capabilities of the human hearing system: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fletcher–Munson_curves

The work is named after its researchers – Fletcher & Munson – and is summed into a nice graph:

What the lines show is the ear sensitivity at fixed level of sound (pressure) level at different frequencies. Inverted, we realize that to maintain equal perceived loudness, the level needs to drastically rise at lower and higher frequencies. The ear is clearly most sensitive to frequencies in the middle bands around 2KHz to 3 KHz. This is probably due to our need to hear other humans well as the frequency of our vocal cords is around the same range. It may also have something to do with the early man being able to hear the hidden danger from animals and such.

Lossy audio compression systems (e.g. MP3) universally use this phenomenon to great effect to reduce the amount of storage needed for a piece of music. They convert the audio samples into frequency domain, and then assign less resolution to lower and higher frequencies, saving bits to allocate to the critical mid-band region. The effective resolution for example may be just 4 or 5 bits at high frequencies whereas the entire 16-bits of CD audio samples are preserved for mid frequencies. Reduced allocation of bits to low and high frequencies causes distortion at those frequencies but since the ear is less sensitive there, it will likely not be (very) audible.

Getting far more esoteric, let’s say we are trying to understand an artifact in digital audio reproduction called “jitter.” Jitter is a variation in timing. Instead of every audio sample from a CD source arriving precisely at 1/44100 of a second, some samples come slightly earlier or faster. Debates range across the Internet as to whether such variations cause audible distortion. Jitter is a complex topic and one that I will cover at depth in another article but for now, let’s accept that the factors that vary timing and hence cause jitter have a frequency of their own. Understanding that make up is super important in realizing if jitter can be audible or not. Why? The answer is in the above graphs! If jitter frequency lies in the 2 to 3Khz range, then it is far more likely to be audible than not. So be dubious of tests which claim jitter is not audible which were performed with frequencies outside of this range (or worse yet, are devoid of what frequency was used). They run afoul of the equal loudness curves.

One other interesting observation from the graphs. If you look at them, you realize that they are not parallel to each other. This means that depending on the level of the sound, the response of the ear changes! For example, we are not as sensitive to low frequencies at lower levels as higher levels. Old time audiophiles remember “Loudness” switches on amplifiers designed to counteract this effect by boosting the low frequencies.

A better solution than a loudness switch is to utilize the power of signal processing in today’s processors to adaptively change the system response to match that of the ear. In other words, the volume control would not just change the volume but also shape the frequency response to match the loudness curves. That way, the volume control truly does what it is supposed to: change the volume across all frequency bands equally. The way it is now, the frequency response changes perceptively as you change the dial which is not correct.

There is one room correction device which claims to have the above feature: TacT. While that is laudable, a more perfect solution would first test your hearing system, create custom equal loudness curves for your ear (and compensate for losses in your hearing!) and adapt to that, rather than what the research shows across many subjects.

In future installments, I will describe other “psychoacoustics” data we have about human hearing system. So, “do come back, you hear?” :D

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Great start right out of the blocks Amir. Kudos!

Many people in our hobby cling to measurements like lifelines, treating the existing set as absolute truth. Many on the other hand trust their own observations more. The gap I see is that the measurement folks rely on tests on human hearing that deal only with the ears. It sounds logical indeed but the perception of sound energy is not limited to the ears.

If the goal of high end audio is to reproduce a facsimile of an actual event as realistically as possible, in my mind it follows that frequencies both above and below the accepted "ear range" of 20Hz to 20kHz also be attempted to be reproduced. In a live event and with very good hifi, music is felt just as much as it is heard and this is not just chest thumping or wall or floor rumbling bass. Midrange resonances, for example those from saxes and cellos, can be felt on the skin and in the chest cavity even below 85dB. I would say that the appreciation of timbre relies heavily on this phenomena. Yet, I have yet to come across a study that tries to fully explain how we humans truly respond to external acoustic energy in terms of multi-sensory stimuli. If I do find one from a credible source, I will post it here. If others do, I hope they will post it too as I believe this has and will continue to have huge implications on the industry from recording all the way to playback.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks for the kind words :). As you imply, it needs to be said that despite what we know, we don't know everything. The physicians in this forum I am sure can describe every aspect of the hearing system. Yet no two audio compression encoders use the same psychoacoustics model, nor do two speaker designers agree on the best way to approach the design of that ultimate device. We know the gross factors, but not the minor ones.

On the other side of the coin, it is amazing how many people ignore what we do know. Search on the Internet and you barely hear a mention of the data in this thread in the reviews of gear. So there should be guilt on both sides.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
At a minimum, reviewers should agree on a standardized volume level (as measured by a standard SPL meter with a known disc) when discussing the sound quality of various pieces of gear. This could even the playing field and prevent volume-driven "giddiness" (see Tikandi review in DEQX subforum).

Lee

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
That's a great point! In my tests, I find that the quality of audio reproduction substantially changes with level. Something that sounds "airy" sounds dull at lower volumes as the low level detail is lost in the noise....

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
That's the old audio sales trick. Play one piece of gear a little louder than the other and exclaim, "listen to the difference in soundstage, focus, air and detail!"

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I think every recording has an optimal playback level, and that level is what approaches what it would have sounded like if you heard it live when it was recorded.

Mark

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I think every recording has an optimal playback level, and that level is what approaches what it would have sounded like if you heard it live when it was recorded.

Mark

I agree 100%

In fact I remember the day I auditioned the X-1 Series lll vs the new X-2 Series l. The demo disks John Giolas played for me all had the exact volume to play each track

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA

Mark
The optimum playback level for me is: one tick before clipping..... or when my wife walks in and screams: "Can you turn it down. Plaster is falling from the kitchen ceiling."

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The optimum playback level for me is: one tick before clipping..... or when my wife walks in and screams: "Can you turn it down. Plaster is falling from the kitchen ceiling."

you mean I wasn't the only one who does that ;)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Studios typically calibrate at 85dB full range pink noise as a reference. Many would be surprised by how loud this actually is with regular music. It's something home audio enthusiasts could adopt. I mean if that's the way the guys recording the music monitored the music, why not the consumer?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com

I also have to be upfront to my clients and tell them "this track has reached it's loudness potential"!!

Regards,

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
The only problem with the F-M curve is that every manufacturer decided to incorporate a loudness button in their receivers etc in the late '70s with disastrous effects :(

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Amir,

Fascinating...thank you so much -- eagerly awaiting future installments! I particularly benefitted from the graph and its interpretation :)

Vbr,
Sam

soundofvoid

WBF Founding Member
Apr 22, 2010
Athens/Greece
I agree that all of us "hear" differently!Our echogram charts simply show who has a low sensitivity to bass or tremble but stop there ...
What most people don't know or realize, but it's a well known fact to everyone working in the medical profession is
that what we hear is not a function of the ear (as a "drum") only!The whole ear pinna,the formation of the labyrinth,the volume of the
inner ear chamber,the tiny bones that transmit the vibrations,it's pressure valve through tiny tubes to our mouth ( TL ring a bell?),the thickness and density of the cranial bone
into which all this delicate mechanism is curved and lastly the quantity and viscosity of the cerebrospinal fluid that has a dampening effect
on the minuscule vibrations that the nerves pick up (biological negative feedback) to name a few-all play a major part to what we actually perceive
as sound.Add to this the differences in micro blood circulation that "feed" the nervous sensors and the lastly the processing center of all this
that has been trained to adapt to specific acoustical environments through our life.A person that lives by a river is very sensitive to a car sound
and a person living in the center of the city is very sensitive to a singing bird!The "master processor" quickly categorizes something as background noise
and learns to discard it.So there it is:there is a valid point that proves that there are biological reasons that separate "how" we hear.
A "golden ear" holds it's value ONLY to the group of people that hear similarly.To all the others it's useless.
That's why i can't stand your speaker and you can't stand mine!And we are both right!

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I agree that all of us "hear" differently!Our echogram charts simply show who has a low sensitivity to bass or tremble but stop there ...
What most people don't know or realize, but it's a well known fact to everyone working in the medical profession is
that what we hear is not a function of the ear (as a "drum") only!The whole ear pinna,the formation of the labyrinth,the volume of the
inner ear chamber,the tiny bones that transmit the vibrations,it's pressure valve through tiny tubes to our mouth ( TL ring a bell?),the thickness and density of the cranial bone
into which all this delicate mechanism is curved and lastly the quantity and viscosity of the cerebrospinal fluid that has a dampening effect
on the minuscule vibrations that the nerves pick up (biological negative feedback)..............
I think you mean (1) either endolymph or perilymph as CSF, per se, is not present and (2) the hair cells (receptors) pick up or transduce the energy, not the nerves.

Add to this the differences in micro blood circulation that "feed" the nervous sensors and the lastly the processing center of all this
that has been trained to adapt to specific acoustical environments through our life.
The brain?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
How did I know this thread would get Kal's attention :)

There were two good articles on hearing in the Scientific American offprint SA Mind. The first article --and the one I can't put my hands on--talked about research showing there's large hearing difference among individuals.

The second piece by Eckart Alternmuller was "Music in Your Head." One of his points was that everyone processes music in different regions of the brain; for instance, whether the right or left hemisphere was used depended upon whether the individuals were not musically trained or experienced musicians. Another interesting finding was that areas of the cerebellum, commonly associated with movement, were also involved in musical perception.

Finally, I highly recommend Daniel Levintan's book "This is Your Brain on Music" and his sequel "The World in Six Songs."

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Mark

I agree. The volume control can be misleading. Setting it at a particular point does not guarantee the same output. I bought this. Widely available on the net for as little as $200.
With it you can make a quick check for SPL, Phase and Spectrum Analysis. Very useful for evaluating new equipment or listening at a friends house. It has a frequency sweep that shows you if there are any serious peaks.

There is also a PAA3.

Attachments

• p33249..jpg
    p33249..jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 30

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing