do only one type of repro system can be good for all type of music listenning ?

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
I don't think so, there are no such thing , that is why so many endless arguments in the forum because they listen to different kind of music people set up their own repro system should choose the components are good for the kind of music which they like and believe that is the right way to go for all systems so this is the point can't be match.
My partner is a classical strings chamber music fan, his system is Quad ESL 63 for full range, JBL2405 for super high, JM Lab 15" sub driver for sub x2, multi amps in 3 way all SET, tube only from phono to power include rectifiers, sound is idol for the kind of music he love, but not too perfect for brass instrument or Jazz repro, have not try any rock music yet but I can't imagine !
In my all horn system, never have the same quality as Quad ESL in strings music but got a better sound of saxophone, and better sound stage for jazz repro, also no Rocks for me, but I can guess high power SS amp is rock music's favor amp may be you can tell me the rest of all
tony ma

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Not as much as the quality of recordings in my experience Tony, as you know there are great performances that arecsadly not thatvwell recorded, so it does not matter if one has horns, electrostatics or tubes - they will just sound bad.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
My vote is that one system done well should reproduce all well: strings, saxophone, acoustic guitar, vocal, synthesizer, chamber, stadium rock, orchestral, primitive blues should all come across as intense musical experiences. Simple as that ...

Frank

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I think that if you are on a budget, you can optimize a system for the type of music that you listen to most. However, a system done well should reproduce all music well. Such a system need not be a "megabuck" one. Just careful selection of components to be transparent.

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Not as much as the quality of recordings in my experience Tony, as you know there are great performances that arecsadly not thatvwell recorded, so it does not matter if one has horns, electrostatics or tubes - they will just sound bad.

Quality of recording is another issue, what we did was compare with same source (same vinyl or tape) in two systems, it came out the result as I said, different systems have their own advantage and disadvantage too, just guess, same speaker driver with wood box repro wooden instrument sound and a metal box repro metal instrument sound will sound more nature than reverse or just the same ?
tony ma

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
same speaker driver with wood box repro wooden instrument sound and a metal box repro metal instrument sound will sound more nature than reverse or just the same ?
If the system is transparent, as Gary said, each instrument should sound like itself, the "real" sound of the instrument, there should be no colouration or "tone" added by the type of speaker enclosure.

Frank

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
If the system is transparent, as Gary said, each instrument should sound like itself, the "real" sound of the instrument, there should be no colouration or "tone" added by the type of speaker enclosure.

Frank

Hi Frank- sound from speaker will be affected by too many things , harmony of the box is just one and different material is another etc, in my case, I am very sure my metal horn sound more better in saxophone than ESL
tony ma

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I think that if you are on a budget, you can optimize a system for the type of music that you listen to most.

BINGO! That is exactly what I did, and I can tell you from scanning my latest bank data that I am definately an "on a budget" kinda guy.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
My vote is that one system done well should reproduce all well: strings, saxophone, acoustic guitar, vocal, synthesizer, chamber, stadium rock, orchestral, primitive blues should all come across as intense musical experiences. Simple as that ...

Frank

I am with Frank on that.. I am not that excited about the concept of a system that plays one kind of music well and another poorly .. IF that's the case the system is sub-optimal ... Budget is an issue as many have pointed and one may be forced to resign oneself with a system that is sub-optimal but again these days more and more, I do think a system doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg to be very, very good on all kind of music ... ;) (hint: look into Pro Gears and Computer Audio)

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Hello Tony, yes, I see that your friend uses a JBL high end transducer, possibly it is not blending in as well to the Quads as it could, which shows up strongly with the saxophone ...

Frank

Frank- But with and without that super high JBL will have a big different in strings music, so that is idol for that kind of music, and he is rare to listen in saxophone ( that is not sound bad only not as good as the metal horn)
tony ma

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I think that if you are on a budget, you can optimize a system for the type of music that you listen to most. However, a system done well should reproduce all music well. Such a system need not be a "megabuck" one. Just careful selection of components to be transparent.

Gary,

I think we are all on a budget, even if some ones are larger than others, and making compromises if part of the game. I do not care for stadium rock. Why bother with this type of sound levels?

BTW, the word "transparent" is really a dangerous word - it can take many different meanings. As much dangerous as "synergy" !

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Gary,

I think we are all on a budget, even if some ones are larger than others, and making compromises if part of the game. I do not care for stadium rock. Why bother with this type of sound levels?

BTW, the word "transparent" is really a dangerous word - it can take many different meanings. As much dangerous as "synergy" !

BINGO! (It's my word for today:p).

I listen to 75% acoustical and vocals, and that is how I decided on my Totem Sttafs. If those same Sttafs suffer from a lack of bass (although I don't think they do for my tastes) when listening to music that is not my main interest...so be it. Hopefully I've chosen the right amplification and connections to take advantage of what the Sttafs offer.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Wide-bandwidth, high resolution, high dynamic range systems are both a blessing and a curse. I say so because while they have all the makings for versatility, finding the sweet spot of this same versatility is definitely not on my list of easiest things to do in audio. At least from what I've witnessed, it is the user and not the system that skews performance consciously or subconsciously to favor the music that gets the most playing time in such systems mentioned.

On a more limited budget (Yes I agree everybody's got a budget), or a more limited but focused set of performance targets, I also agree that the best thing to do is just to accept the compromises while playing up the strengths as best one can.

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
BINGO! (It's my word for today:p).

I listen to 75% acoustical and vocals, and that is how I decided on my Totem Sttafs. If those same Sttafs suffer from a lack of bass (although I don't think they do for my tastes) when listening to music that is not my main interest...so be it. Hopefully I've chosen the right amplification and connections to take advantage of what the Sttafs offer.[/QUOTE

Yes that is what I try to say, any level of budge still have a choice, classical music fans do not need a powerful punch (deep bass is not = punch) so small out put tube amp + small high efficiency speaker is good for them. in the opposite way, rock fans will never like this kind of set up too, a wrong set up will wast money, I still don't believe a powerful rock bank repro system can play good sound in chamber music !
tony ma

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Wide-bandwidth, high resolution, high dynamic range systems are both a blessing and a curse

I still don't believe a powerful rock bank repro system can play good sound in chamber music
These are very interesting points that highlight some of the apparent dilemmas in audio. I agree entirely with Jack about the apparent two edged nature of systems; in fact, this is exactly the concept described by Robert at the start of the Truth and Tonality thread.

As Jack says, finding the "sweet spot" in such a situation is far from easy, the amount of cursing I have indulged in personally over the years struggling with the problem bears testament to that. My problem was, once I heard what was possible I couldn't go back -- I couldn't skew the system sound nor accept compromise, I much preferred to throw the lot in the darkest cupboard, and listen to the kitchen radio, knowing it had no aspirations ...

The major part of the problem is that the more resolving the setup, the harder it is to tune out all the deficiencies, they just become more and more obvious. It is like using very high powered binoculars vesus opera glasses. Anyone can use the opera glasses, they do a reasonable job, but the big binoculars will drive you crazy! You have to get the focus just, just right and hold them absolutely dead steady, otherwise everything seems a messy blur! But if you persist, BINGO (where have I heard that before ...), what you can see is amazing, and overwhelming!

Tony believes you can't get "big" sound as well as intimate sound. Well, once the focus is right, you can get both, and it becomes obvious to the listener with the listening that you can get both. It most definitely is not the bass, the bass has almost nothing to do with it. Big stadium rock will sound enormous without a thundering bass accompaniment being part of the picture, it just needs to get the low level details right ...

Frank

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
If your system does one type of music "better" than another, then to some degree, you're playing your system, not the music. I could almost agree to choosing speakers that are more aggressive or more laid back, depending on tastes in music, but only because it is nearly impossible to get speakers exactly right and choices have to be made at that end. But I'd still choose to get it as neutral to the input signal as possible. Electronics? Keep them as neutral as your budget will allow and they will deliver the closest thing you can afford to what the artists intended for you to hear. Or tweak them for tone; just understand that is what you're doing and don't delude yourself into believing it is truer to anything but your personal tastes.

Same old question; same old answer...

Tim

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
If your system does one type of music "better" than another, then to some degree, you're playing your system, not the music.
Tim

Good morning Tim!

Can you elaborate on this, as I'm not fully comprehending the statement?

John

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Good morning Tim!

Can you elaborate on this, as I'm not fully comprehending the statement?

John

I think the rest of the post tries to get at it, John. A playback system's job is reproduction of the recording. If a system compliments one kind of recording and not another, then by definition it is giving you a less accurate reproduction of the recording. You are listening to the system's tone, not the recording's tone.

Tim

caesar

May 30, 2010
Interesting, but not surprising set of posts. But as always, it comes down to opinions - even for highly priced speakers, by the most esteemed gurus of high end audio. Check out the differing opinions on Magico's Q5. Some guys like Jon Valin (and I think Alan Sircom also) think it's the greatest speaker in the history of audio. But Valin does not seem to appreciate or value deep bass. (He likes the bass deprived CLX and liked the Magic Mini that did not go very deep.) Michael Fremer, on the other hand, thinks this speaker is great for acoustic music, but does not do rock music well due to "lacking" bass.

And these speakers, at $60,000, are priced as luxury cars, so you would think they would do everything great!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing