Balanced phono stage help request

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
I'm currently using an ASR Basis Exclusiv phono stage. I'm considering making a change. My criteria is simple - balanced and solid state. The Einstein Turntables Choice and Boulder 1008 are on my radar.

I was wondering if anyone here is familiar with either of these phono stages and if they think they would be a significant upgrade from the ASR (or just a different flavor). You can find details of my system in my profile.

I'd appreciate any feedback.

Ken Golden

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
Gary:

Thanks for the tip. Both of them are a bit out of my price range but definitely drool worthy.

Ken

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I'm currently using an ASR Basis Exclusiv phono stage. I'm considering making a change. My criteria is simple - balanced and solid state.
(...)
Ken Golden

Can I ask why you want it balanced?

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
Microstrip - I thought you were going to ask my why I want it solid state. :) I've been running my system fully balanced for many years. Force of habit I guess.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Can I ask why you want it balanced?

Lower noise and a natural for cartridges; been running it like that myself; limits phono choices, though

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
My Chord Symphonia ihas balanced inputs as well, clever AC design, quite dead and very musical.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Microstrip - I thought you were going to ask my why I want it solid state. :) I've been running my system fully balanced for many years. Force of habit I guess.

No, I just asked because it is a situation where I can see no immediate real advantage in balanced mode - the wires are short, usually well screened, the cartridge generator is floating and does not need a power supply, and we can connect the tonearm and turntable ground wires directly to the preamplifier ground tag. But the designers should know why they prefer it.

Anyway,as you say, force of habit is a good enough reason! :eek:

BTW, my tube phono preamplifier has a FET input.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Hi lasercd :)

Have you tried the Pass Labs XP-25? A friend has it, and replaced his expensive VTL with it, with much improvement.
I'm waiting to audition one in my set...

alexandre

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
Alex:

Nice seeing you here. I haven't tried the Pass Labs. I did play with the new Boulder 1008 for a few months. It had many strengths but ultimately I preferred the ASR. For the moment I've turned my attention away from phono stages. I have been focusing on a new DAC. Been playing with the Bricasti M1 for the past couple of weeks. Seems to be a winner.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
The only balanced solid state phono stages I have heard are from FM Acoustic. They are very natural sounding components. My first choice would be the FM 223 and second choice would be the FM 222.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Wow, this Bricasti looks interesting.... Is it $10k?

Are you familiar with the DCS Puccini? How would you compare the Bricasti to it?

alexandre

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
Alex:

We've now drifted the conversation off-topic. :)

The Bricasti M1 is $8,000 retail. I bought the unit. I found it to be exceptionally transparent and dynamic - more so than the Accustic Arts dac I've been using for the past 4 years. I have heard all of the DCS units but not in my system. One of my friends who owns the Scarlatti is replacing it with the Bricasti.

John Marks just reviewed the Bricasti in the new issue of Stereophile. He said it was the best digital playback he's ever heard.

Ken

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
The only balanced solid state phono stages I have heard are from FM Acoustic. They are very natural sounding components. My first choice would be the FM 223 and second choice would be the FM 222.

The FM Acoustic phono stages are magnificent. I wish I could afford them. Crazy expensive.

barriophile

Nov 17, 2011
3 places in Europe
Although about 10,000 years late.... check this out. I also had a spell with the ASR Basis exclusive.
I'm now a Whest convert. It was painless and has left minor scaring :)

the review has been lifted of a Norwegian site. The translation looks like it's been googled but you get the drift.

EP:
No, not a "duel" or test this here, just a small comment about a personal experience of two very good RiAA steps namely

ASR basis Exclusive vs Whest PS 30RDT Special Edition.

Why? Both are transitor RIAA and is arguably in the top division at least until prices begin to take off. Whest is well for the sake of order a few hundred Euro more expensive in relation to the latest version ASR.

Has not the habit of posting something on the forum and therefore a little info card:
Personally, I grew up in a time when vinyl was the medium you bought your music. In a home with lots of music and a father as a professional jazz musician, there were many "plates" in the home. Most jazz, of course, but for my part, also other things. At that time there was much "easier" course, and not a lot of talk about adjusting Pick up ... Oh no buy "new pin" screw it in the head inclined in a flash to play music. In the 80s, a time where the CD album came, I could something so brilliant as to go to a thrift store selling all vinyl. Today I regret of course, like a dog, but I must admit that many of the plates were of very poor quality and a lot of cozy fireplace even though we of course had many releases that I would like to have today.

Although vinyl again is relatively new board for me this time, I have worked with it for the past 25 to 30. It has been 2 years since I was thus again able to buy a good turntable and was actually now completely sold. I realized quickly that this was something I wanted to keep on with forward and purchased the equipment fairly quickly that I was to be happy with for a long time. Vinyl consists of Avid acutus, Dyna Vector 507 mk2 arm, Benz LP and thus Whest PS 30RDT Special Edition that came in favor of the ASR Basis Exclusive or 300B and Verity Audio speakers.

I'm no technical genius so I'm saving you from a more detailed description. This will find yourself on the internet. Visually, however, they are very different. ASR of separate power supply (battery) has a total weight of the impressive 32 kg. Whest just a simple box of 6 kg. The size of the ASR, I got confirmation when I had sold it and went to the post office to send STOCK TRUCK! In contrast, Whest simply done purely aesthetic, simple design, a small red light in the lower right corner. To be honest .. refreshingly simple.

First I must say that ASR has performed impressively at me. The few times I have tried other RIAA preamps both tube and transistor, it has been shown to be completely looked over. It is quiet, dynamic, well-defined bass and extremely dissolved and open up. Many I have spoken with and who have had the ASR has been and is very happy owners. Tests around the world indicates indeed that there is a reference product. The only objections I have had, is really that it can occasionally seem a little sterile in the midrange. Voices and instruments lacking a little body and I have the feeling that it is lacking a bit in the organic and thus the "analog" feel. I have been the case relied on careful matching of cables (copper) for the best tuning even if I never came right exactly at this point.

I must admit I was pretty excited when I picked up and packed up Whest. Setting the impedance and the gain made from the underside. Whest however, had promised to pre-set at 65db and 470 ohms. I checked the course before I put it in and so it has been since I got it. Have not even been curious about the other settings but think of course to try some soon. However, I've been more concerned with the signature and what happens during the recording before I can have any opinion about the settings.

Right out of the box, cold, and yet a little smell of paint from the cabinet, played it simply compelling and matched ASR at all. Realized quickly that this was something special. The next day, early in the morning, I sat down with quiet piano music and a cup of coffee before the house was awake .. Fyttirakkern for a resolution and a sound for a serenity, a listing and then amazingly dissolved upwards. On all these parameters was better than the ASR in my system. The backgrounds seemed blacker than the piano and is still more clearly. Speakers disappear in a different way and it radiates almost the sound round speaker. In retrospect, it has only gotten better and better and now a piano I have not been near the ASR. In addition, the voices and instruments obtained with natural body and sound. The difference of ASR is difficult to describe, but ASR works dynamically a little worse. Whest provides a way of feeling that the instruments get more energy from the inside out. ASR is a little flatter with less colors. Upwards is it, as I said yet airier and more liberated than ASR. Soundstage is overall better defined holography, focus, width, height and depth is without doubt the best I've had in my system. Today, about 2 weeks old, is getting better and I'm very happy. The sound is dynamic, coal-black background, analog and "right" midrange, extremely airy upward. The bass goes no deeper than the ASR but it still resonant and seamlessly integrated into the whole.

The fact is that I sold my ASR 2 days after that I switched Whest and never need to double check the other way. I'm not the type who checks back and forth or a song here and a song there. The sound I hear, over time it means something to me. Sometimes I'm insecure and sometimes, as here, no way back.

This post was not meant as an attempt to denigrate anything, anyone who has an ASR can rest well. It's not any worse from what I have written. I KNOW that this is also incredibly good and that it had stood still here if I had not tried Whest. This was in fact was a little fun .. for you who may have interest in such:)

EP

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
second vote to try the Pass Labs XP-25. I love mine and don't think about other phono stages much anymore. You can get a no risk trial from a dealer in Nevada. FM Acoustics simpy don't meet my $$$ value factor....as nice as they are. There is always the Vitas Audio MP-P201 for a cool $60K if that floats your boat....:)

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Now that I've had a chance to really live with the Burmester Ph100 (instead of just borrowing one for shows and stuff) I think that it's the best phono stage I've ever heard (or not heard). It trounces my FM Acoustics and that's just been sold. I only got the one with a single MC and without the ADC, and regretting it. Now.... if I can find someone to buy this one, I'll get one with an ADC :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing