NHB-458 monoblock power amplifier

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
JT hasn't heard his own speaker???

Kevin Malmgren has been designing the crossover in San Diego and Jonathan is in Portland; i just happened to have a business trip to Newport Beach a couple of weeks ago exactly when Kevin had pretty much completed the crossover design and so i drove down one afternoon and heard it. it was a matter of fortuitous timing me hearing it before Jonathan.

what's funny is the exact same thing happened 6 years ago with the MM3's. i had a business trip to Torrey Pines, i had VR11's on order, but dropped in at Kevin's to hear the new speakers (which i had heard numerous times at Jonathan's as they were being developed). Kevin was also just done on the crossover that time too.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
i considered that. but when the 14 large wooden crates arrive i'm not sure i can sneak then in. it is a bit different from my Anna Cartridge. and Kevin coming up to dial them in would be hard to explain. the first lie is easy. after that it gets complicated.:confused:

she knows, i was kidding.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
i considered that. but when the 14 large wooden crates arrive i'm not sure i can sneak then in. it is a bit different from my Anna Cartridge. and Kevin coming up to dial them in would be hard to explain. the first lie is easy. after that it gets complicated.:confused:

Maybe a few well placed houseplants would do the trick! :D

Congrats!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Mike

While i have never heard the MM3s, i am curious as to how you compare the MM7 v MM3? The MM7 is certainly 'a lot more speaker'...and i have heard nothing but good things about the MM3. Thanks for any initial impressions.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Hi Mike

While i have never heard the MM3s, i am curious as to how you compare the MM7 v MM3? The MM7 is certainly 'a lot more speaker'...and i have heard nothing but good things about the MM3. Thanks for any initial impressions.

i will answer your question on the Evolution Acoustics sub-forum and start a new thread. i think further comments on the MM7's should be referenced to that so they can be found later. this thread is really about the big dart 453 amps.

here is the new thread and an answer to your question.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...-thoughts-and-impressions&p=100685#post100685

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
i will answer your question on the Evolution Acoustics sub-forum and start a new thread. i think further comments on the MM7's should be referenced to that so they can be found later. this thread is really about the big dart 453 amps.

here is the new thread and an answer to your question.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...-thoughts-and-impressions&p=100685#post100685

Thanks, Mike. Coming back to the NHB-458 monos...curious if you've ever had the chance to compare them with any others.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Thanks, Mike. Coming back to the NHB-458 monos...curious if you've ever had the chance to compare them with any others.

Lloyd, i had the NHB-458's in my room for a month......with my NHB-108 sitting right next to it. so obviously i did compare those 2. the stereo 108 aqquited itself nicely compared to the $135k 458's, but the 458's bring a level of effortlessness, scale, and space which is unique. over these years i've had many amps in my room to compare with the 108's; none did what the 458's can do, and with the 458's you get the 'big amp' attributes without the normal sense of less refinement from a mega-watt amp.

i've been trying to find a way to rationalize a set of 458's, but now i find that the MM7's will take my system farther than the 458's, and i cannot afford both.

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
Hello Mike,

will you use the NHB-108 with the MM7?

Best regards,
Ricardo Nonato.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Hello Mike,

will you use the NHB-108 with the MM7?

Best regards,
Ricardo Nonato.

hello Ricardo,

yes, i will use the 108's with the MM7's. the MM7's are more efficient (96db compared to 93db) than the MM3's, so the 108 will be good. i also have my Found Music 2a3 monoblocks which will end up working much better on a more efficient speaker.

if at some point i can afford the 458's, they are still an amplifier i'd love to own.

best regards,

Mike

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
Hello Mike,

I'm hoping to get my HSC-8550, but my intention in the future is to use pre and power darTZeel. I could now check closely the potential of this power with Dynaudio Temptation, a box that is very difficult to be played, and say he took the job very well.

I wonder when you can use with MM7 458. For your experience with this system, do you think will win with the monos?

Best regards,
Ricardo Nonato.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd, i had the NHB-458's in my room for a month......with my NHB-108 sitting right next to it. so obviously i did compare those 2. the stereo 108 aqquited itself nicely compared to the $135k 458's, but the 458's bring a level of effortlessness, scale, and space which is unique. over these years i've had many amps in my room to compare with the 108's; none did what the 458's can do, and with the 458's you get the 'big amp' attributes without the normal sense of less refinement from a mega-watt amp.

i've been trying to find a way to rationalize a set of 458's, but now i find that the MM7's will take my system farther than the 458's, and i cannot afford both.

time, Mike, time...it heals all wounds and rationalizes all good audio purchases...;)

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Hello Mike,

I'm hoping to get my HSC-8550, but my intention in the future is to use pre and power darTZeel. I could now check closely the potential of this power with Dynaudio Temptation, a box that is very difficult to be played, and say he took the job very well.

I wonder when you can use with MM7 458. For your experience with this system, do you think will win with the monos?

Best regards,
Ricardo Nonato.

Ricardo,

if i read your question correctly, you are asking; "will the 458's sound better than the 108 on the MM7's?" yes, they would sound better. absolute power corrupts absolutely. or....more power is always better unless it's not. :) in the case of the 458's, it is better in every way. OTOH; the 108 is close to the 458 in some important ways, not so close in others. and on a 96db efficient speaker that only needs to power down to 50hz, the 108 is closer to the 458 than it would be on most other speakers.

as far as the integrated 8550; i think it would do well with Temptations. on that speaker, the 458's would be quite a bit better than the 8550. since the 458's are not only more powerful, but lower noise, and more refined. in the case of the 458 compared to the 108, low noise and refinement are very similar.

i hope i answered your question.

best regards,

Mike

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Mike-Are you still listening to your tube amps?

Mark

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
Mike,

thanks for answering my question. And congratulations for your excellent system!

Best regards,
Ricardo Nonato.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike-Are you still listening to your tube amps?

Mark

not that much, as it's 3 watts are not quite enough to boggie with lots of music. OTOH i do really enjoy what they can do on the right music. so i'll listen to them for maybe a few days at a time, then not for a few weeks.

it's not really fair to expect those amps, as wonderful and perfectly executed as they are, to power my speakers in my room. when i move my chair more into the nearfield that makes quite a positive difference with the 2A3's.

but adding 3db to the efficiency of the MM3 to the MM7's might just make a difference. we will see.

the real problem for the 2a3's is that the darTZeel 108 is such a magnificent solid state amp and so natural sounding, and so low noise and micro-dynamic. i've even come to appreciate the 108 more than prior to owning the 2a3's.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Mike-I'm not surprised and I think I *kinda sorta* predicted that would happen. As you and many others have stated, power corrupts and it is hard to give it up.

Mark

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
not that much, as it's 3 watts are not quite enough to boggie with lots of music. OTOH i do really enjoy what they can do on the right music. so i'll listen to them for maybe a few days at a time, then not for a few weeks.

it's not really fair to expect those amps, as wonderful and perfectly executed as they are, to power my speakers in my room. when i move my chair more into the nearfield that makes quite a positive difference with the 2A3's.

but adding 3db to the efficiency of the MM3 to the MM7's might just make a difference. we will see.

the real problem for the 2a3's is that the darTZeel 108 is such a magnificent solid state amp and so natural sounding, and so low noise and micro-dynamic. i've even come to appreciate the 108 more than prior to owning the 2a3's.

Mike,

That is an excellent description on my Dart 108 as well. I find myself coming back to it and appreciating it more and more every day. I would love to be able to own the 458's or at least another 108 and bi-amping. Sublime.

Joe

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing