Things I do not like about the HDMI upgrade.

Bulldogger

Apr 20, 2010
Clinton,MS
While there seems to be no doubt that the HDMI upgrade is a great bargain. There are a few things I do not like:

1. Being a purist, more or less, I do not like going from the separate power supplies, three, to the one large power supply. I am sure that there just was not enough room to do new beefier power supplies, in the current location. Still I like the idea of separate supplies.

2. No improvements to the Xtreme card. The "leg-work" was already there as to how to improve the sound with the improvements that were made to the Gen VIII series two. Not a lot of engineering to add these improvements to a newer card.

3. No room correction or ability for parametric EQ. The Momemtum Data Systems boards supports it. It should be offered even if offered as an additional package at additional cost.

4. No future surround processors being discussed. One thing to upgrade the existing Casablanca, another to actually be in the business of making these products with continued development.

SysOp

Jun 18, 2011
Beverly Hills, CA
Question- I've recently acquired a Six Shooter and Oppo 95 to go with my CBIII. Have you compared BluRay sound from a transport via the SS vs HDMI through the CBIIIHD? I'm planning on using the SS for BluRay sound format playback via the Oppo's analog out through the SS. Wondering if the CBIII's HDMI upgrade is worthwhile in terms of sound quality- which would be the main reason I'd upgrade, not for video switching.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Any idea of the differences between the Gen8v2 vs. v3?

And I have the suspicion that once all the upgrades have happened and the cost of development vs. revenue generated is assessed, only then will Theta get serious (or not) about further development and really new products. Must say though I haven't followed the company nearly as closely since selling my CBIII a few years ago.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing