Theta Gen VIII series II vs series I

Bulldogger

Apr 20, 2010
Clinton,MS
With the HDMI upgrade and higher resolution digital, interest in the Gen VIII has taken new life. How has experience with both version of the dac. Also, how does this dac compare with newer dacs like the PS Audio model? If comparing dacs be sure to mention which series you own.

Worldcat

May 30, 2012
I had the gen viii series two. I sold it and bought the pwd and pwt version one at that time I did think it was better by a pretty good margin. The gen viii is a musical piece, plays smaller than the pwd. I upgraded to the series two pwd and it was even better that the first generation by a big margin, BUT only with the 2.0.2 firmware installed. I know if you bought a brand new pwd you cannot get it with the 2.0.2 firmware. Now on some people's systems they like the other firmware. You just have to hear one and go to psaudios site lots of talk there about there products.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I had the gen viii series two. I sold it and bought the pwd and pwt version one at that time I did think it was better by a pretty good margin. The gen viii is a musical piece, plays smaller than the pwd. I upgraded to the series two pwd and it was even better that the first generation by a big margin, BUT only with the 2.0.2 firmware installed. I know if you bought a brand new pwd you cannot get it with the 2.0.2 firmware. Now on some people's systems they like the other firmware. You just have to hear one and go to psaudios site lots of talk there about there products.

I regret to inform you that sometime during the two years that have passed since Bulldogger asked this question he has acquired a Gen VIII v3.......

Bulldogger

Apr 20, 2010
Clinton,MS

I don't like the PS Audio Perfectwave dac version one. One friend switched from it to the Gen 8 Series 3. A second friend who owns the Perfectwave MKII is currently borrowing my Gen VIII series 3. He is going to sell the PS Audio dac. The difference in dynamcis between the two dacs is very large. The Gen 8s3 is extremely dynamic. It tightend the bass to such an extent that a Mcintosh amp has bass as tight as Krell. I could not have fathomed that. It could be system synergy thing. Two of the reviews of the MKII have admission that they were not fond of the MK IPS Perfectwave, Computer Audiophile and The Absolute Sound reviews. Computer Audiophile called the MKI, midfi.

The Perfect Wave MKII dac is a good dac. I would recommend it. Just my personal opinion but I still think PS Audio is not in the same league as the Theta dac, Esoteric or EMM Labs flagship products. I believe edorr has also moved away from the PS Audio dac.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing