Is Prog Rock sexy?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I know I'm stretching it I suppose, although you have to admit that some of the riffs are hip-swaying sensual beasts...LOL!

Listen to the video below....if that doesn't make you move your hips and, more importantly, move in for victory there is no hope.

Prog Rock - Not just for aging acid-heads!

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
Well, it definitely is what keeps my listing to my rig hour after hour.

Nothing 'sexy' about Steve Wilson, he just stands there and grinds on his guitar, but the Anesthetize BluRay is an awesome piece to watch over and over an a good multichannel setup.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Well, it definitely is what keeps my listing to my rig hour after hour.

Nothing 'sexy' about Steve Wilson, he just stands there and grinds on his guitar, but the Anesthetize BluRay is an awesome piece to watch over and over an a good multichannel setup.
Seriously. Prog rock is one the greatest joys of my life. I will definitely have to put the Anesthetize BR in my shopping cart. Porcupine Tree is one of my favorite bands. Everything Steve Wilson touches is just fantastic, be it Porcupine Tree, his recent Insurgentes album, Blackfield, No-Man, or the King Crimson remasters.

Now is Prog Rock sexy? Prog rock is a lot of things, but I'm not so sure that is one of them. When I think of sexy music, I think of songs like Teddy Pendergrass's Close The Door or almost anything by Al Green or Barry White.

Hey John, did you buy the 2008 vinyl remastered Genesis set?

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
Seriously. Prog rock is one the greatest joys of my life. I will definitely have to put the Anesthetize BR in my shopping cart. Porcupine Tree is one of my favorite bands. Everything Steve Wilson touches is just fantastic, be it Porcupine Tree, his recent Insurgentes album, Blackfield, No-Man, or the King Crimson remasters.

Now is Prog Rock sexy? Prog rock is a lot of things, but I'm not so sure that is one of them. When I think of sexy music, I think of songs like Teddy Pendergrass's Close The Door or almost anything by Al Green or Barry White.

Hey John, did you buy the 2008 vinyl remastered Genesis set?

I have all 3 Genesis sets on SACD and have only listened to part of 1 set. :eek:

Rich

Last edited:

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Ken, great link!

Rich, I'm surprised you didn't spring for at least the first vinyl set, Nursery Crime to The Lamb.

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
Ken, great link!

Rich, I'm surprised you didn't spring for at least the first vinyl set, Nursery Crime to The Lamb.

Hi Ron,

I have most of the Genesis collection on either original or reissue vinyl (many still sealed). I wanted to have the opportunity to having the 5.1 mixes along with the DVDs if I wanted to watch them perform.

Rich

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Rich, good point. I also only have original vinyl issues, and I must have 3 or 4 different versions of their CDs. I have only a couple of the SACD remasters - I think ATOTT and Wind. And, I have 24/96 digital copies of the first vinyl box set. I am dying to listen to the vinyl remasters.

Have you watched any of the DVDs?

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
Rich, good point. I also only have original vinyl issues, and I must have 3 or 4 different versions of their CDs. I have only a couple of the SACD remasters - I think ATOTT and Wind. And, I have 24/96 digital copies of the first vinyl box set. I am dying to listen to the vinyl remasters.

Have you watched any of the DVDs?

Hi Ron,

That is why I am so embarrased, I spent so much money for the sets, and have only listened to part of one SACD set and haven't even cracked open any of the DVDs. Really embarrassing. But, just bringing this up should induce me to get off my butt and do someting about it.

Rich

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Have you ever looked at the composition of the audience at most prog-rock concerts?? I'd say prog-rock is sexist, not sexy. In fact, Steven Wilson has been known to comment on how happy he is to see someone in the audience who is not a late-20's to early-40's male.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Annie Haslam is one of the greatest female vocalists ever in my book. Now is her singing and music sexy? Ken?

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
She was super foxy back in the day - every prog rock fan's fantasy date. She had me at her first giggle. :)

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I bought the new re-issue of five Genesis albums like six months ago, have heard to some two of them (Selling England by the Pound was one for sure) but unfortunately they do not yield the best sonics I have heard from a Genesis album - still missing my Seconds Out vinyl copy which I sadly lost or sold....

Some nice PR titles I remember:

Camel
Premiata Forneira Marconi
Pentateuch
Mike Oldfield

among others...

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
Annie Haslam is one of the greatest female vocalists ever in my book. Now is her singing and music sexy? Ken?
Yessir, a fantastic vocalist with tremendous range. She was, and probably still is lovely, esp. in person. Never really heard control issues until the '90s & later albums. But then, we're all getting older, aren't we? :-(

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing