Are you certain you purchased your ultimate piece of gear?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Buying high end gear is such a pain in the butt! The more expensive it is, the more difficult it becomes. I think it is somewhat easier with speakers, as you can go to a show. And even then, people say the speakers frequently don't sound their best. So you may pass on something that needs further attention.

But if you want some amps or a great source, it's almost impossible, it seems to get proper auditioning. You have to travel FAR just to hear the stuff. And the smaller the brand, the farther you have to travel. Additionally, the reviews rarely compare sonic signatures, which makes them nearly worthless.

So are folks here confident they have purchased their ultimate piece of gear? How many other pieces did you audition?

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
All I know for certain is the only constant is change. Even when I audition gear in my own home and ultimately buy it, it is subject to change. Decisions are based on the best possible infomation at that point in time. Times change, taste change, parameters change and ultimately expectations on what is "good." Thus additional information may provide a different answer to the same questions. That and if you have never heard it, you don't miss it, but once you have, you can't go back to the "ignorance is bliss" state.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
All I know for certain is the only constant is change. Even when I audition gear in my own home and ultimately buy it, it is subject to change. Decisions are based on the best possible infomation at that point in time. Times change, taste change, parameters change and ultimately expectations on what is "good." Thus additional information may provide a different answer to the same questions. That and if you have never heard it, you don't miss it, but once you have, you can't go back to the "ignorance is bliss" state.

What if one's circumstance in life changes and prevents one from going back to what they perceived as "ultimate"?

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
As Thomas Wolfe said, "You Can't Go Home Again." You can not return to an age of innocence, but you can be happy where you are. Contentment comes not from what you have but knowing what you can live without.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
As Thomas Wolfe said, "You Can't Go Home Again." You can not return to an age of innocence, but you can be happy where you are. Contentment comes not from what you have but knowing what you can live without.

Well quoted!:)

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
It's all about the hunt - I don't care to have an ultimate system.

caesar

May 30, 2010

Ack, you make very good points.

However, before buying do you wonder if there is something better out there? Take for example, the hugely expensive Dartzeel amps reviewed by Alan Sircom in HiFi Plus recently. They cost as much as the top line Porsche Panamera. The guy loves them - of course. But he did not bother comparing them to anything even near its price point. Not even a to a lowly $40K set of Arc monoblocks or a top line SS contender such as Boulder or whatever is near that price point. Unless you are super-duper rich and can swap gear without much remorse, I think a lot of people are hesitant to pull the trigger.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
The healthiest thing, no doubt, is to get a system that fits your budget, your room and your sonic tastes, then change hobbies. Find a whole new genre to explore and start listening to and collecting music instead of gear. And boy is that easier said than done.

Tim

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
The guy loves them - of course. But he did not bother comparing them to anything even near its price point. Not even a to a lowly $40K set of Arc monoblocks or a top line SS contender such as Boulder or whatever is near that price point. Unless you are super-duper rich and can swap gear without much remorse, I think a lot of people are hesitant to pull the trigger.

I am told he has experience with a number of the other amplifiers in this price range. He probably is being nice to the other manufacturers by not mentioning them.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Alan is a member here. Why not PM him? :)

The butt burner is when the new and improved version of something you already have, comes out. Improvements may be subtle but the effect on resale never is.

caesar

May 30, 2010
I am told he has experience with a number of the other amplifiers in this price range. He probably is being nice to the other manufacturers by not mentioning them.

Maybe so. But he is negligent in not doing the comparisons. The review comes across as "it's expensive, it's great, trust me" with not much substance or analysis. And he is not being fair to the Dartzeel amps.

The problem for the consumer is listening to several amps in this price class in his own home with his own speaker before buying. How the heck is that going to happen?

caesar

May 30, 2010

The butt burner is when the new and improved version of something you already have, comes out. Improvements may be subtle but the effect on resale never is.

I agree that it sucks when something new comes out. But that's kind of expected. I guess the challenge I am bringing up is trying enough things in the same class/ price level of gear to make sure you get the optimal product for your tastes and goals.

caesar

May 30, 2010
"The healthiest thing, no doubt, is to get a system that fits your budget, your room and your sonic tastes, then change hobbies. Find a whole new genre to explore and start listening to and collecting music instead of gear. And boy is that easier said than done."

You are very correct. But we are on an audio site. We could be on rolling stone.com or on billboard.com. So the gear is an integral part of enjoyoing the music for our kind.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
"The healthiest thing, no doubt, is to get a system that fits your budget, your room and your sonic tastes, then change hobbies. Find a whole new genre to explore and start listening to and collecting music instead of gear. And boy is that easier said than done."

You are very correct. But we are on an audio site. We could be on rolling stone.com or on billboard.com. So the gear is an integral part of enjoyoing the music for our kind.

Which is, of course, why it's easier said than done for our kind.

Tim

mep

Apr 20, 2010

I wonder what the ratio is for how customers take this MKI, MK II, MKIII revision game? And by that I mean the number of people that get disgusted and change to another brand that puts out mature products in the first place vs. the number of people that shell out the money to have their piece upgraded or sell their product at a huge loss because it can't even be upgraded to the latest and greatest revision because the revision is such a big change? My vote is the majority of people stay brand loyal and either go for the upgrade or lust after it as they drive themselves crazy "knowing" there is a better verison of what they have.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Ack, you make very good points.

However, before buying do you wonder if there is something better out there? Take for example, the hugely expensive Dartzeel amps reviewed by Alan Sircom in HiFi Plus recently. They cost as much as the top line Porsche Panamera. The guy loves them - of course. But he did not bother comparing them to anything even near its price point. Not even a to a lowly $40K set of Arc monoblocks or a top line SS contender such as Boulder or whatever is near that price point. Unless you are super-duper rich and can swap gear without much remorse, I think a lot of people are hesitant to pull the trigger.

i had those beasts in my room for a month. i also had my stereo darTZeel amps to compare directly; and i've had quite a few amps head to head with my stereo dart over the years.

if anyone says that the big dart monos are the 'best ever ultimate amps' i would not have a problem with that. understand that i am not making that statement (since i don't approach the whole gear question in the context of 'ultimate' or 'best').

i would guess Alan Sircom has been exposed to most 'uber-amps' out there in one context or another. so his opinion is not worthless.

added note; i would say unequivically that those big darTZeel monoblocks are the most beautifully constructed amplifiers i've ever seen by a good measure. imagine a Patik Phillipe level of fit and finish; breathtaking. it makes my long gone (but still loved) venerable Levinson #33 monoblocks look pedestrian.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I wonder what the ratio is for how customers take this MKI, MK II, MKIII revision game?

Well at least it's not like cars that come out every single year. Most of the audio manufacturers wait a couple/three years before the upgraded or new version is out.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I believe ARC has had revisons come out within the first 6 months of product release. Sometimes revisions are to fix screw-ups that weren't caught before the product was released.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing