Hybrid Exotic Speakers

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
EGOD! That's a system I would love to hear! I am having a little trouble sorting it out. Looks like re-built Scintillas on the side, with Stages in the center and the plasma tweeters on top! Do they all play at the same time, or are these two separate systems? It also looks like a tweeter on a tripod at the center.

bwraudio

Jan 24, 2011
All at one time!!!!!!!!

Yes, all the speakers are being used. Hill plasma from 700 hz to 100,000 hz, followed down by Apogee Stages, covering the range of 700 down to 200 hz, then the Scintillas from 200 hz down to 25 hz, followed by (2) Eminent Technology TRW-17 Rotary Woofers!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The center ribbon speaker is Carver CRM-2, also 2 more CRM-2's (side channels and 2 more Apogee Stages for rear speakers. All this stuffed into a modest size room that has terrible acoustics. I tried my hardest to convince him to build a great acoustical room for this awesome system, but he would not listen. IMG_0453..jpg IMG_0308..jpg IMG_0315..jpg

bwraudio

Jan 24, 2011
One more picture

This picture shows the rear channel speakers (Stages) and the beautiful room, but " Rear spkrs stage&#115.jpg lousy" acoustics.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I am glad to see such sublime insanity with Apogee speakers. I used Stage speakers for 16 years, still think they are one of the best sounding speakers ever albeit with limited dynamics due to size. I still have the Stages, but they are pretty macerated with experimentation and the passive crossovers are gone.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
"Exotic" does not begin to describe this system.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
That's an impressive array of Krell. Before they were neutered IMO.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Just noticed that the device on the lava lamp is a toy remote helicopter, HA HA, for surveying the domain! Cool.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Is this the same guy whose neighbors complained about a continuous earthquake sound from a thousand feet away?

No joke. I'm serious.

GG

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Is this the same guy whose neighbors complained about a continuous earthquake sound from a thousand feet away?

No joke. I'm serious.

GG

No, Tzucc has a home theater compound dug into the earth underneath his garage. Big Wilson speakers and Krells with a very large screen.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Cool

Nice improvement to the Hill's non-plasma drivers :cool:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing