Krell S-1200 Preamplifier / Processor

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Krell S-1200 Preamp/Processor

I recently received my new Krell S-1200 preamp/processor and have had a little time to assess its performance in my system. (Details of associated equipment are listed in my profile). I will undoubtedly add more information to this “first impressions” review as I gain even more experience with the unit. I will be happy to answer questions about the unit, either on things that I have not made clear in my review or on particulars that I may have omitted.

The S-1200 is available in two configurations: the basic S-1200 (mine) and the S-1200U (which adds video upscaling capability to the basic unit). The video section for the basic 1200 is merely a pass-through which allows switching between different video sources. The S-1200 is priced at $10,000, and the S-1200U is $12,000. They are the "baby brothers" of the EVO 707 preamp/processor, which, at $30,000, is out of reach of many.

Since there is no video processing functionality in the basic 1200, I will limit my discussion to the set of features on the unit and its audio performance in various applications.

The 1200 is available in either brushed aluminum finish or black finish. I opted for the black color to match the Krell EVO 403 amplifier I own. As expected, the fit and finish of the unit is top quality, with an especially silky feel to the large central control knob. A large rectangular display window on the front of the unit describes the current status of the S-1200. Besides the large volume knob that dominates the front panel, there are also pushbuttons to select the various functions of the unit, which speaker you wish to adjust for volume, and some processing modes of the S-1200.

The S-1200 can function as an excellent stand-alone preamplifier. Its “Preamp” mode bypasses all digital circuitry and routes the analog input directly to a balanced resistive ladder volume control. Dedicated analog inputs, stereo (balanced XLR and single-ended RCA) and 7.1 (single-ended RCA) are available. These analog inputs can be assigned to any number of the source inputs on the unit. So, you can use the analog outputs of your Blu-ray player for movies and also for CDs from the same player, while opting to have the TV monitor turn on with one source selection and remain off with the other. Also, you may assign both a digital and analog audio input to the same source component, with the unit defaulting to the digital option. You can switch between the two audio options within seconds, thanks to a very simple user interface.

Each input on the S-1200 can be programmed to display any attached video signal source, and can be combined with any attached audio source. For example, you can select HDMI (there are 4 HDMI inputs on the 1200) for the video from your Blu-ray player, and select analog 7.1 in “preamp bypass” mode for the audio. Each input also has 4 programmable 12V triggers that can be independently set. So, you can have your front channel amplifier turn on for CD playback, while leaving your TV display monitor and surround amplifier off. For movies, you can have both amplifiers turned on, as well as a couple other 12V trigger-compatible devices. To avoid any turn-on transients, you may assign a delay in the trigger signal to each device so that they turn on “in sequence”.

The inputs are named, both on the front panel and the remote control: DVD, CABLE, SAT, BLU-RAY, CD, TUNER, AUX, GAME, DVR, TAPE/VCR. There are no provisions to change the input names. If you are utilizing a programmable master remote control (as most of us are), the names of the inputs on the device don't matter as long as you correctly set up the MACROS on the universal remote.

Once you power up the unit, you connect an HDMI cable to your display. This step allows the use of the OSD (On-Screen Display) to assist in the set-up. The OSD is very intuitive to use. Setup takes only about 30 minutes if you have familiarized yourself with the options available on the S-1200. The unit communicates with your display and determines the resolution limits of your display, then sets the OSD for that resolution.

The menu of setup options is straightforward to navigate. The main selections are as follows:

CONFIGURE VIDEO OUTPUT
LISTENING ROOM SETUP
CONFIGURE DEVICES
CONFIGURE LEVEL ADJUSTMENT
OPERATION

CONFIGURE VIDEO OUTPUT is for adjusting the video scaler in the S-1200U, so is unnecessary for owners of the S-1200. The exception is those users that may use the unit for both 50Hz and 60Hz refresh rate source material. The choices are “follow source (auto-switchable), 50Hz, 60Hz.

LISTENING ROOM SETUP is used to configure your speakers, integrate your subwoofer, set speaker distances and calibrate speaker volume levels. The typical choices of “small” or “large” for speakers are presented, with an exceptionally flexible choice of crossover frequencies from 40Hz to 100Hz in 5Hz steps, then all the way up to 250Hz in larger steps. I am currently crossing over my B&W 801Ds at 50Hz, and the HTM1D center and CWM8180 surrounds at 80Hz to the JL F113 subwoofer. I utilize a 6.1 setup with a single rear surround speaker.

A nice feature for 5.1 input is a choice to play either:
1.Side surround speakers only
2.Rear surround speakers only
3.Play both always
*This feature made a big difference in the envelopment of surround presentations. It is only active for digital 5.1 inputs, allowing 6.1 and 7.1 native sources to play as intended. I compared the sound quality and the presentation of the surround “field” to Dolby ProLogic IIX and preferred the “play both always” option. It created a better wrap-around effect in my room.

The distance settings for your speakers go from 0 – 30 feet in 0.5 foot increments. The volume calibration for each speaker can be performed in an “auto” or “manual” sequence, depending on whether you prefer to switch the pink noise signal to the next speaker yourself or have the unit do it after a few seconds. This process was painless using the manual sequence and my Radio Shack SPL meter.

Configuring the S-1200 to accept input from various sources is simple. The sub-menu allows you to choose which video input to assign to one of the 1200's functions. You may then assign a digital and an analog audio input for that function, with the default going to the digital input. This can be used to compare the DACs in the 1200 with those of your external device if you wish. There is adjustable Lip Sync for each input, to match audio to video. You can also assign from 0 - 4 12V triggers to activate external devices for each function selected.

Video input options are HDMI, component, S-video, and composite. There are 4 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output.

Audio input options are HDMI-A (auto signal recognition, for lossless codecs which uses the FS Integrated Interchip Sound protocol), HDMI-S (for HDMI audio from legacy devices that do not use FS), Optical, and Coaxial for digital. Analog options are 2 channel XLR, 2 channel RCA ( x 5), and 7.1 analog RCA. The analog inputs are routed directly to the volume control, bypassing all digital circuitry. You may choose to engage a number of processing modes for analog or digital inputs that affect surround parameters, etc.

You may set "Trim" for each input to equalize the volume levels of each external device when playing. There are adjustments for center channel "dominance" and front/back balance when using Dolby ProLogic IIX and DTS Neo modes. You can also set a maximum volume limit on the preamp. The volume range is 0 - 152, with a default maximum of 100. This feature is useful if you have kids that may turn on the system and play Frisbee with the large volume control knob!

Since the full manual is available to read at www.krellonline.com, I'll spare everyone some of the more mundane aspects of continuing the setup and get to the performance of the S-1200.

The S-1200 acts as a very high-quality stereo preamplifier. Used merely as a switching and volume device, it seems virtually transparent in my system. I previously owned a KBL/KPA line/phono stage combination from Krell, and the S-1200 outperforms the KBL handily. The preamp section in the 1200 is derived from the EVO 707's, and sounds fantastic. I have not yet had the opportunity to test the pure analog signal chain via the dedicated stereo XLR inputs. Via RCA, the freedom from apparent coloration is exceptional.

As a surround processor, I found the adjustability of the 1200 to be a great aid to getting good envelopment in movies and surround music. Steering of information to each channel is extremely accurate and the effect of speaker calibration changes are immediately apparent. I can now understand other reviewers' comments that they became immersed in movies and forgot to continue the review process.

There is no provision for automatic full room EQ (ala Audyssey, etc.), but there is an extremely flexible set of completely adjustable EQ profiles that can be dialed in with room measurement software or even an SPL meter with appropriate test signal material.

Listening to music, whether stereo or surround was incredible. Paniagua on Harmonia Mundi, Miles Davis on SACD, Britten on London, Wagner on Melba.... the list goes on. I'm surprised I decided to tear myself away to write this short review!

Movies also provide a next-tier experience. The accuracy of the surround sound field and the transparency of the sound allows you to be more fully involved in the experience. There are far less moments of "listening to your audio system" and more moments of "being in the movie". Without blathering on, suffice it to say that the sound is terrific.

There is one "bug" worth noting on the 1200. When beginning an audio track of any kind (CD, Blu-ray, etc.), there is a 2-3 second delay as the unit "locks onto" the incoming audio signal. For movies, this is inconsequential. For music listening, you will miss the first note or two. In order to work around this, you need to start a CD and then skip back to the start of a track. I talked to Bill McKiegan at Krell and we discussed this situation. The engineers say that they are examining this issue. Since firmware updates are easily accomplished via the RS-232 port on the rear of the unit, I am not too concerned at this time.

Overall, I am very pleased with the S-1200. My system is providing great enjoyment and even my wife is impressed with the 1200's upgrade to our sound.

I hope that our members will enjoy this mini-review. Since I'm not really a reviewer, I've obviously skipped over some items and focused upon things that are more important to me. Of course, I'll be happy to answer any questions I can about the S-1200.

Thanks,

Lee

Last edited:

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Photos of S-1200

Here a the front and the rear of the S-1200 (photos courtesy of Krell Industries). Note that the photo of the rear is from the S-1000, which is laid out identically to the S-1200.

Attachments

• s1200-1_fs..jpg
    s1200-1_fs..jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 5,112
  • s1200-2_fs..jpg
    s1200-2_fs..jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 7,140

audiobuff

May 14, 2012
Hello,
Thank you for the great review.
I am considering upgrading my pre/pro to the Krell S1200. other contenders are Cary Cinema12 , or classe ssp-800.
I am currently using the marantz AV-8003...I have a Krell Kav3250 for the fronts and a Showcase 7 for the rears. Speakers are Sonus Faber Grand Piano Domus and 4 Wall Homes. I use 2 JL Audio F110 subs...Cables are Nordost / Cardas ...4 dedicated lines with Porter Ports...Shunyata Hydras and A mix of Python Helix alpha and Black Mamba CX PC's.
Are you still using the S1200 ? Have you ever tried any of the others I mentioned ?
Thanks for the infp...Tony

Jeffkad

May 11, 2012
I too would love to know how the S1200 compares to it's competitors, especially the Classe SSP800, Bryston SP3, Cary Cinema 12, and McIntosh MX150. Please provide your comparisons. And also anyone else that may have compared same. Thanks...Jeff

Jeffkad

May 11, 2012
I too would love to know how the S1200 compares to it's competitors, especially the Classe SSP800, Bryston SP3, Cary Cinema 12, and McIntosh MX150. Please provide your comparisons. And also anyone else that may have compared same. Thanks...Jeff

RBFC, would really appreciate your opinion, even if you just cut/paste what you sent to audiobuff. It's very hard to find a comparison of the Classe and the Krell. Thanks much.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing