Frippertronics

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Many of our members surely know about what is sometimes referred to as Frippertronics. Some don't, so I'll attempt a very crude explanation and gladly ask more knowledgeable members to post a more exacting description.

Frippertronics consists of putting 2 R2Rs side to side -- we'll refer to them as A & B -- and then configuring the machines in such a way that tape starts at a *supply reel* on A to the *take-up reel* on B. In so doing, sound recorded on A will be played back on B, but with some delay which is dependent on the distance between A & B. It is my understanding that the delay is usually on the order of just a few seconds.

The audio of B is then returned back to A, causing the delayed signal to repeat while new content is mixed in with it.

Robert Fripp (of King Crimson fame) employed this system to record/create layered electric guitar sounds in real time. Done live, an entire performance would be recorded on the looped tape.

I saw Robert Fripp in concert almost 30 years ago at a small club in Boston. Fripp sat on a chair and next to him was a table with, IIRC, his dual modded Revox A77 R2Rs. The concert was just jaw dropping. Fripp's music arguably was the start of the genre now known as ambient.

Right now I'm listening to the Fripp & Eno album, No Pussyfooting, which essentially contains only 2 songs: The Heavenly Music Corporation and Swastika Girls. The Heavenly Music Corporation is presented in 3 different versions: normal speed, half-speed and reversed. Swastika Girls is presented normal speed and reversed.

I thought I'd start this thread here rather than in the music forum. I know we have members who use their R2Rs not only for playback but for recording. Has anyone tried their own version of Frippertronics?

Jay_S

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
San Francisco - East Bay
I've actually done this (a long time ago) but I didn't know that it had a name. It's fun to do and the original sounds loop back for at least a dozen generations before they turn to distorted mush. After awhile you just have to stop because too much is going on. Also, trying to do this without laughing is really hard.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Jay, have you listened to any of Fripp's music either live or recorded using this technique?

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Right now I'm listening to the Fripp & Eno album, No Pussyfooting
Alright, pulled a few CD's out, will have to hit the vinyl later.......................but you just made my listening list for the next day or two if that matters.:cool:

I have not seen Fripp live, but did see Tony Levin (later era bass player for King Crimson) at the Magic Bag in Ferndale, MI about ten years ago.

R2R recording, not in my scope of experiences - yet.

Attachments

• Fripp-Eno-Levin-B&.jpg
    Fripp-Eno-Levin-B&.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 638

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I see No Pussyfooting there. Is that some sort of frame you hang on the wall?
I just laid some CD's on my dining room table, stood on a chair snapped a shot and cropped the photo.

As far as good Fripp goes, I too would like some recommendations. No Pussyfooting is alright, but the Giles, Giles and Fripp to the right of it is hard to take even in the right mood. Likewise it is hard to find good Brian Eno unless paired up with the likes of a Fripp or Bowie.

Suggestions?

When I get some spare time and sprare cash I'll have to visit Encore Music in Ann Arbor and see what old vinyl they have.

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
The essential works to own are:

Fripp And Eno - No Pussyfooting
Fripp And Eno - Evening Star

Robert Fripp - Exposure
Robert Fripp - Let The Powers Fall

The first two Fripp and Eno albums are hypnotic. Sound loops would be created with the two Revox and then Fripp would solo over them. No Pussyfooting is a bit arresting and Evening Star the more ambient and relaxed. Fripp's guitarwork is breathtaking on both. Eno...well Eno is Eno. He doesn't play any instrument but he manipulates the sound.

Exposure was Fripp's first proper solo album outside of King Crimson. Released in 1979, it's the most Crimson-like of his solo work. Daryl Hall sings on it as well as Peter Hammill. Lots of spacey Frippertronic interludes are interspersed through out. There is an expanded edition that was released a few years ago that is IMO essential.

Let The Powers Fall is a great example of Fripp's Frippertronic work that he was doing in the 80s. He would build up rhythmic loops with the Revox machines and then play them back and solo on top of them. All of his Frippertronic releases are culled from live performances.

With the advent of digital processors Fripp pretty much abandoned the tape machines. They had to be a supreme pain in the ass for the professed "self contained highly mobile unit" to schlep around to gigs. His current solo work tends towards the sheer soundscape side. Very textural with less soloing.

I don't know if he is an audiophile per se but he is super meticulous and you always get great fidelity from pretty much any solo or King Crimson album (Earthbound excepted).

Ken Golden

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I was at Encore Records today and picked up two King Crimson vinyl records.

1. Beat (1982), it used the phrase "Frippertronics" on the back under Fripp's name along with Guitar and Organ credits. I passed on the Japanese vinyl version as they wanted double for it.

2. Three of a perfect pair (1984).

Time to spin $15 worth of old vinyl.

And also find my CD with Eno's "Baby's on Fire" on it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing