In Double Blind testing, is louder perceived as better?

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Quickly,...

To go to extremes, do you prefer a single tone, or a piece of music?

Dynamics in music add contrast and thus interest. All the same is boring, yes? Actually, one of the tricks is to play softly with the same intensity and richness of tone as when playing loudly...

Of course, I love a good chord!

I think this may answer your point on single tone or piece of music.
Well that is what is interesting comparing classical music to dance (not pop).
Both can have complex rythms but a key differentiation is the application of musical notes; in dance tracks this is predominantly simple chords with complex rythms orientated music while it is fair to say classical is a combination of complex/simple notes interlinking.
And yet it is dance tracks that is vastly more popular, because IMO it comes back to the way dance orientated musicians use deliberate type of chords and harmonies within their beat-rythm.

But that said, even a held note excluding linking to music I find more beauty in a chord than a single note from an instrument.

And the point about dynamics is a good one, the more dynamic the music recorded the more it is usually enjoyed (compare the comments/criticisms of Metallica loud album to the dynamic Guns N Roses as an example backing this up).
I think the OP originally was coming from the perspective where there are many posts seen on say AVSForum and other sites where it is an argument about "all amps sound the same" and then someone will comment that the amp/CD player that plays louder will be preferred as if its a universal statement and explains why one will prefer product X over Y.

Cheers
Orb

Ethan Winer

Banned
Jul 8, 2010
New Milford, CT
From table 18.1 of Springer Handbook of Acoustics, the JND value for amplitude perceptual limit is 0.25 dB.

I can sometimes hear 0.25 dB EQ changes at midrange frequencies on musical material with headphones, or in a room with early reflections absorbed. So it makes sense to require even less change when testing, just to be certain any perceived differences are real and not due simply to volume levels.

--Ethan

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing