Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 24243444546474849505152

Thread: Truth and Tonality: can they co-exist?

Banned

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by fas42 View Post
    you believe test results on equipment are invariant. In other words, if under some circumstances a component produces a set of test results then under all other circumstances exactly the same measurement figures will be forthcoming.
    Then set up a test you believe makes your point, record it at whatever sample rate and bit depth you believe is necessary to capture the artifacts, and post the results here as a Wave file. It's not that difficult! You don't even need an analyzer. Amir can do that with his AP, or I can do that with the FFT in Sound Forge. All you need is a power amp, whatever test signals you want to use, and a computer with sound card.

--Ethan

Addicted To Best
    Then set up a test you believe makes your point, record it at whatever sample rate and bit depth you believe is necessary to capture the artifacts, and post the results here as a Wave file. It's not that difficult! You don't even need an analyzer. Amir can do that with his AP, or I can do that with the FFT in Sound Forge.
    That's actually a good idea. Main problem at the moment is time; I would need to think up, and put together the test data, then run it against some audio components, the kit to record it has to be set up and it would be no better than Redbook (I think!) ...

Leave it with me, I'll at least try and work out some decent test WAV files to do the job, then perhaps post them so people can have a play; my energies at the moment aren't too brilliant, not so sure about trying to get results quickly on my end with the gear I've got here at the moment ...

Frank

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)/Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] garylkoh's Avatar
    Frank, I don't have one, but Bruce cottoned me on to the Korg MR2000S as the best digital recorder that he knows under $10,000. It records all the way up to 24/192 and 5.6MHz DSD

Addicted To Best
    Bruce cottoned me on to the Korg MR2000S as the best digital recorder that he knows under $10,000.
    Gary, thanks for that, but that is way, way, way out of my league! I am just a poor starving fellow here, I'll have you know...

Frank

Addicted To Best
    Okay, results are in, courtesy of Jack, and a case, somehow or other, has to wing its way to him!

Yes, a null result (Ethan will be pleased! ), that is, in spite of Jack throwing most of what I mentioned earlier at the system, including managing to drive his class A amps with candle power he got nowhere in improving or changing the sound of his system, or at least his ears told him that.

This of course is a disappointment for me, and no less for Jack, having beavered away at the bits and pieces to set it up. As I said at the beginning, this was an exercise so I could learn as well, and in part it says that Jack has put a lot of work into stabilising the sound of his system, from the point of view of his listening, and kudos to him for achieving that! Whether that is due to the quality of his components, the way he has interconnected them, the room treatment or other factors, I can't say, not without going across myself to his cubby hole, and playing with his toys myself!

To continue, so that something more can be gained from this interlude, hands up those lurking, who went away and had a bit of a play with their systems, trying out some of the things I mentioned. For my sake, and the benefit of others, could anyone who tried anything post what their experiences were, positive or negative. In other words, if absolutely nothing changed that's just as helpful to know as "veils were lifted ...", da, da, dah!

Thanks,
    Frank

Banned

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by fas42 View Post
    Okay, results are in, courtesy of Jack, and a case, somehow or other, has to wing its way to him!
    Did I miss the details of this test, or is it yet to be posted?

Yes, a null result (Ethan will be pleased! )
    LOL.

This of course is a disappointment for me, and no less for Jack
    If you think about it, this is a win-win for everyone because everyone benefits from knowledge.

--Ethan

[WBF Founding Member] Addicted to Best! JackD201's Avatar
    I would've liked to hear an improvement or even just a change for the effort expended but I'm not disappointed at all actually. Like I PMed Frank, at least I got a bit of exercise in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by garylkoh View Post
    Frank, I don't have one, but Bruce cottoned me on to the Korg MR2000S as the best digital recorder that he knows under $10,000. It records all the way up to 24/192 and 5.6MHz DSD
    It's a terrific device. Todd Garfinkle of MA Recordings is also a fan.

Addicted To Best
    Did I miss the details of this test, or is it yet to be posted?
    Ethan, check

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...ll=1#post39248

and some of the previous posts to get a flavour of what was tried ...

Frank

Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 24243444546474849505152