Upcoming Meetings

PNWAS

Aug 3, 2010
Here are the details for our February meeting. February is often a slow month, but this meeting is going to be an exception to the rule. It's all happening on Thursday, February 10, at 7:30pm. Check out our website for directions and further details.

http://www.audiosociety.org

Is Digital Ready for Prime Time?
The club has many members who are dedicated vinyl-philes, and as many members where the CD/Music Server is their primary source. There have been endless debates on digital vs analog - theory and specifications vs "just listen". This month's meeting is not a debate on analog vs digital, but an exploration and discussion on state of the art in analog and digital playback.

As a basis of discussion, we have attempted to put together a system that is equally optimized for analog and digital. We will be able to compare high-quality analog playback with a pass through an ADC and DAC loop. While this is certainly not exhaustive, it will give attending members food for thought..... and whether with the system assembled, members in the acoustic space of the club meeting can hear the difference between straight analog, and analog digitized and then converted back to analog.

The system will comprise the following:
Roksan Xerses 20+ record player
Roksan Artemiz arm
MicroMagic Virus cartridge (with ruby cantilever and optimized contour stylus)
Burmester Top Line Ph100 phono stage with built-in 24bit/192hz ADC
Weiss Minerva DAC (plus mods by Gary)
Genesis SMc-1 Preamp
Genesis GR360+ amplifier
Genesis 7.1f loudspeaker

Members are encouraged to bring their LPs to play.

Note: a very interesting discussion of this topic is posted on this forum, at the link below.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?2632-The-Digital-Analog-Dialectic

Last edited:

PNWAS

Aug 3, 2010
May 12th, 2011 -

Dan Schmalle (aka Doc Bottlehead) will demonstrate his creations. Dan is renowned in the audiophile world for his low-power amplifiers and headphone amps, which can be purchased as a kit by DIYers. The source will be Dan's reel to reel tapes, from the Tape Project and the gear on hand will include a set of Dan's 300Bs and his 2 watt OTL Set amp, connected to his Straigh 8 (eight driver) speakers. In addition, Dan will have four listening stations set up with his headphone amps and several models of headphones.

PNWAS

Aug 3, 2010
We have a meeting tonight. Sorry for the late notice. Fellow member, Bud Purvine (inventor of the Ground Control Device - Audio Prism), will demonstrate his enAble speaker driver modification technology.

Following Terry Olson our Equipment Committee Chairman: "Bud Purvine will be demonstrating and discussing his patented "enAble" speaker treatment using two pairs of treated and untreated speakers in Fonken enclosures. He will also have his Planet10/ Woden Design Subwoofers for the bass duties. I gather that several people here are not familiar with Bud, so let me state that he is perhaps "the" (or one of the) World's Top Transformer designers. His products are often used in SOTA amplifiers and I'm sure that he could also discuss many of the more esoteric attributes of musical reproduction. I might add that Bud has, IMHO, extraordinary hearing and taste in music. He is an interesting person, with very unusual ideas and can usually be found well outside of any box. If he runs out of things to talk about, of which I have some doubt, I have prepared a presentation of the more mundane aspects of speaker driver modifications that should dovetail with, and compliment, Bud's main topic."

For further information on Bud's patented process see: http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue21/standingwaves.htm

Jaguar

Aug 2, 2010
Bellevue, WA

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing