Why are Reviewers Paid So Poorly????

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Well maybe this could extend to equipment manufacturers :) Or recording engineeers :) I mean how can a person possibly design a piece of gear if they can't play an instrument?
I think many recording engineers are just technogeeks.

Hey whats wrong with techno techno techno now put a donk on it wicked :)
Cheers
Orb

Stereoeditor

Sep 6, 2010
I still want to know what the requirements are to be a reviewer because as jtinn so eloquently stated, "everyone is a reviewer" nowadays.

Only just read this thread. To answer your question, as least as far as Stereophile is concerned, the fundamental requirement for an audio reviewer is the same as for any writer: to have something to say and be able to say it. I have slowly built up my reviewing team over the years based on these requirements as they apply to audio.

These requirements may sound simple, but it is actually rare to find someone who meets them. Hardly any of the people who approach me about reviewing for Stereophile get even close.

And regarding the subject of this thread, how much a reviewer gets paid is between him and the IRS, surely.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Only just read this thread. To answer your question, as least as far as Stereophile is concerned, the fundamental requirement for an audio reviewer is the same as for any writer: to have something to say and be able to say it. I have slowly built up my reviewing team over the years based on these requirements as they apply to audio.

These requirements may sound simple, but it is actually rare to find someone who meets them. Hardly any of the people who approach me about reviewing for Stereophile get even close.

And regarding the subject of this thread, how much a reviewer gets paid is between him and the IRS, surely.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

As an amateur reviewer for Rich's vinylphilemag, I have to absolutely agree with John. I find it immensely difficult to put into words what I want to say, and how I think I want those words to come across the printed (or online) page. I hope I'm learning as I write more reviews, but time will tell.

By the way....I do this for fun and have no further aspirations...so you're off the hook John!

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
As an amateur reviewer for Rich's vinylphilemag, I have to absolutely agree with John. I find it immensely difficult to put into words what I want to say, and how I think I want those words to come across the printed (or online) page. I hope I'm learning as I write more reviews, but time will tell.

I too find it hard most of the time! I think your reviews have definitely improved these past 8 months or so; hopefully mine have too. The only way to get better at writing is to write!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing