Accommodation pricing for the industry reviewer's ...your opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
Steve-how can a manufacturer whose business model allows no sales directly to consumers claim a loss when selling a piece of gear to a reviewer for the same price they would have received from a dealer? It's all a wash unless the manufacturer sweetens the pot by selling it at his true cost with no profit added.

Accomodation pricing and dealer cost are rarely the same.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
So I'm asking you what is the truth if you know it? Is the accomodation price the actual price of labor, materials, overhead, but no profit? Or is it something considerably less?

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
No and. Simply the fallacy that they are the same has been perpetuated throughout the thread.

Based on what?

I've dealt with this issue on behalf of our writers for many years and my experience runs counter to yours. 40-50% off is the norm. At least with our magazine.

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
So I'm asking you what is the truth if you know it? Is the accomodation price the actual price of labor, materials, overhead, but no profit? Or is it something considerably less?

It varies by manufacturer and distributor. Some consider accommodation a straight marketing cost and price accordingly. Others take reduced margins. Still others sell at finished goods cost. There is no set formula by which everyone abides.

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
It varies by manufacturer and distributor. Some consider accommodation a straight marketing cost and price accordingly. Others take reduced margins. Still others sell at finished goods cost. There is no set formula by which everyone abides.

I agree that it varies. But my experience is that 40-50% off is overwhelmingly the norm.

Are in the industry? It sounds like you might be . . .

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
I agree that it varies. But my experience is that 40-50% off is overwhelmingly the norm.

Are in the industry? It sounds like you might be . . .

I think we're on the same page. I was suggesting that typical dealer cost is higher than typical accommo price and it is. The typical range you suggest for accommo is also correct.

Yes I am in the industry.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Guys, is there more to be said here? I don't think it is fair to keep beating up our members from publishing industry over and over again with the same issue :). We all have ethics issues of various types and some amount is always tolerated. Tell me you never send a personal email with your work computer. Tell me you don't eat a more expensive meal when on company account than yours. We can't expect others to be saints when we ourselves are not in our own day jobs :).

If there is a new point to be made, let's make it. Otherwise, let's not keep repeating that accommodation pricing is bad six different ways. We are just grinding people without anything constructive coming out of it at this point.

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
Guys, is there more to be said here? I don't think it is fair to keep beating up our members from publishing industry over and over again with the same issue :). We all have ethics issues of various types and some amount is always tolerated. Tell me you never send a personal email with your work computer. Tell me you don't eat a more expensive meal when on company account than yours. We can't expect others to be saints when we ourselves are not in our own day jobs :).

If there is a new point to be made, let's make it. Otherwise, let's not keep repeating that accommodation pricing is bad six different ways. We are just grinding people without anything constructive coming out of it at this point.

Don't believe I said anything good bad or indifferent about the recipients of accommodation pricing.

I simply clarified what it is and what it is not relative to normal dealer cost.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Don't believe I said anything good bad or indifferent about the recipients of accommodation pricing.

I simply clarified what it is and what it is not relative to normal dealer cost.
Sorry, my post had nothing to do with your remarks. It was an assessment of the entire thread which is at page 16 now. You are fine.

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010

Thank you for your post, Amir. And with that said Randall and I will back out of this one completely.

Alan Sircom

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Aug 11, 2010
Thank you for your post, Amir. And with that said Randall and I will back out of this one completely.

I agree and if the topic just continues to cycle round the same concept with nothing positive coming out of it, iit serves no purpose for me to continue with this thread too.

Edit: it's a new form of English I've just invented. We now have it, its, it's and iits. I reserve the right to invent 'iiittttts' to, although Monty Python might have got there first.

Last edited:

caesar

May 30, 2010
A famous quote by Justice Lewis Brandeis comes to mind that can help clear up some of the suspicions due to this practice: Sunshine is the best disinfectant.

So is it too much to ask for complete transparency from both magazines and manufacturers? Which reviewers did they sell to? How much did the reviewer pay? How long did the reviewer hold on to the piece of gear? How much did he sell it for?

Of course, there could be kick-backs and such, but this will be a great start.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
A famous quote by Justice Lewis Brandeis comes to mind that can help clear up some of the suspicions due to this practice: Sunshine is the best disinfectant.

So is it too much to ask for complete transparency from both magazines and manufacturers? Which reviewers did they sell to? How much did the reviewer pay? How long did the reviewer hold on to the piece of gear? How much did he sell it for?

Of course, there could be kick-backs and such, but this will be a great start.

Caesar-You might as well start believing in the Tooth Fairy again if you think this is going to happen. I think this thread is dead. If not, it should be.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Caesar-You might as well start believing in the Tooth Fairy again if you think this is going to happen. I think this thread is dead. If not, it should be.

The only way to get the suspicions removed is to have complete transparency. Will Valin and Fremer and others play? No. I am not naive and I don't expect it to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing