Any familiar with Vienna The Music?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I was about to audition it in my quest, but just read the HiFi Choice review on it and the measurements are very disappointing, with a major dip at ~2kHz attributed to break-up of the midrange driver... Any know anything about this speaker?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
So it's got a Gundry Dip? I'm more inclined to believe it was designed in owing to the fact that a lot of folks out there like that kind of curve/voice. I've never come across a speaker with a 2kHz dip that didn't sound "pleasing". :)

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I heard some of the Vienna line at CES 2010, they entered in my top-10 best sounding room list.. I found them in a price range where some serious competition is present thou....

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
So it's got a Gundry Dip? I'm more inclined to believe it was designed in owing to the fact that a lot of folks out there like that kind of curve/voice. I've never come across a speaker with a 2kHz dip that didn't sound "pleasing". :)

Would that also include the Wilson Maxx 2 with the same dip at the same place, but due to phase interactions between mids and tweet? Just FMI, because there was a lot of bashing back then when Stereophile reviewed that product...

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I've heard Maxx 2s in only 2 systems. One driven by a really good SET amp (very, very nice) and another driven by a once hyped SS amp (not pleasing at all). So perhaps it might be the exception?

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I've heard the Musics. Yes, they do have an upper mid dip, and like Jack, I suspect it is deliberate, not driver break-up. They also, however, have a primary driver that is single point source which covers an extremely broad range (100 - 20k Hz), putting the passive crossovers out of the way, resulting in a really clean, coherent sound and some pretty remarkable imaging. I'd rather they didn't have the dip, but audiophiles like it, and The Musics are still way up there, in my estimation, with the best passive speakers. A bargain at $16,500 compared to most speakers that are really in their league.

The rest of the line is very strong as well, all the way down to the little bookshelf Haydens which can be remarkable in a smallish room with a REL.

Tim

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I have to get this off my chest, but... intentional or not, liked by consumers or not, I don't find such designs competent. For example, how would we as consumers feel if an upstream component - amp, preamp, source - was designed with such an intentional dip? Has anyone ever seen this anywhere else but speakers? Would anyone buy, say, an amp with a very steep 2kHz dip?

caesar

May 30, 2010
I wouldn't care about the dip one dip - if the speaker sounded good. But the midrange sounds veiled and opaque to my ears. But I have been listening to electrostats for a long time, so that's what my ears are used to. And nothing can do the midrange like a stat.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I have to get this off my chest, but... intentional or not, liked by consumers or not, I don't find such designs competent. For example, how would we as consumers feel if an upstream component - amp, preamp, source - was designed with such an intentional dip? Has anyone ever seen this anywhere else but speakers? Would anyone buy, say, an amp with a very steep 2kHz dip?

Given that it is intentional, I don't think it is a competence issue. Has anyone ever seen it anywhere but speakers? Of course. It is neither difficult or expensive these days to produce components with very flat frequency response. So whenever a component has a distinct sound signature - when it is warm, euphonic, lively, forward, etc, it is a question of competence, manipulation or expectation bias.

Tim

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

When it comes to electronics, I'd be pissed. Transducers not so much. I'd be pissed because it would assume that the user has flat speakers which isn't really the case. Type in Gundry Dip in google and you'll find many fave speakers that have 'em. It would be a case of double dipping! :D

With transducers, the decision is made based on psychoacoustic studies that are accepted in not just the high end audio industry. What measures linearly doesn't sound linear even in a dB scale. If one were to look back at the history of the dip, it was designed into transducers to actually aid in intelligibility in pro audio remote applications and not necessarily to be pleasing. The welcome side effect is what the hi-end adopted. At it's worst a dip is a sin of omission.

My speakers are flat at factory settings but have the option of attenuation, which I use to create not a dip but a downward slope starting at the same range. The same can be done albeit to a more limited extent with something as simple as speaker and listening position changes. The ear is so sensitive between 1k and 4k that a 2dB dip can be a godsend in a room with less than ideal acoustics particularly in the same region. Of course this can be fixed passively and/or actively but really, that isn't what the general music lover wants to get into let alone their significant others.

Many wish for a loudspeaker that will work in rooms sans too much treatment or the need to resort to EQ. Those that have a dip have an advantage in this instance. Like it or not most people value basic pleasure over accuracy. The latter is a very small minority.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing