Spectral dma 260 hum

gratefulgroveway

Jan 23, 2011
Hi friends -

I own a new Spectral DMA 260 in a system that runs: Magico V3, Spectral 30SS, Spectral 4000 pro, and the DMA 260. All cabling is MIT/Spectral. I have worked my way up the Spectral chain. I very much like the DMA 260 but am frustrated by it having a low but audible hum. This is from within the amp itself - sounds like a power transformer. It is loud enough to be audible before music is playing. Has anyone else experienced this? Any thoughts?

Thanks

Paul

gratefulgroveway

Jan 23, 2011
Hi

The hum isn't through the speakers and therefore I am not thinking it is an earth hum?

Also how don you float the ground? Is this a safe thing to do?

I live in the 240v would not be funny!

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi Paul,

I didn't read carefully. My apologies. You may have to ask your dealer.

I float the ground by using an extension plug that only plugs in two prongs instead of the usual three prongs of the power cord.

I live in 220v area and have never had any problems floating a ground.

If I may ask, are you somewhere in Asia?

Sam

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Paul-Sounds like you are describing a hum emanating from the power transformer and not an electrical hum that is working its way through your system and being reproduced by your speakers. I would contact Spectral and see what they have to say.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
For all intents and purposes, a more accurate description would be a 'buzz' from the transformer... yes contact the dealer about this.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Paul-Sounds like you are describing a hum emanating from the power transformer and not an electrical hum that is working its way through your system and being reproduced by your speakers. I would contact Spectral and see what they have to say.

I would echo Mark's comment. I've heard of cases of companies having a hum problem when running a power transformer on a different voltage.

gratefulgroveway

Jan 23, 2011
Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply to this.

Should these amps hum a[/I]little? My old 250 was pretty silent as I recall. What I am not certain is whether I am over-reacting. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you again

Paul

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply to this.

Should these amps hum a[/I]little? My old 250 was pretty silent as I recall. What I am not certain is whether I am over-reacting. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you again
Paul

Paul-if the sound is loud enough that it bugs you, then you are not over-reacting. If you have to put a stethoscope up to the amp to hear it, then you are.

Adimon

Jan 4, 2011
Hi Paul,

I have the same problem with my DMA100S.
It is a transformer buzz.
I can hear the noise at the listening position.
I even try another amp from my dealer with the same result.
So you have the live with it.
Another possibility is that you have a little dc component on the AC (not in my case).
My amp is an European type for 230Vac 50Hz.

I wanted to contact Spectral but i have no mail address.
Please let me know if you have a solution!

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
Though not Spectral, I have transformer buzz from my Aragon Palladium 1K amps and even a little from my Krell KAV-250a/3 power amp. It is just something to live with. In most instances it is not too much of an issue and is hidden in the music and my Home Theater set-up, but since these 4 amps are all on special footers and all 4 amps in the same rack stacked it is a little more noticeable than I would like.

Rich

gratefulgroveway

Jan 23, 2011
Thank you for all the comments. This is not a negligible hum. Playing quiet music at night I notice it in quiet moments. I wonder if Spectral are really using the correct transformer for 240v UK.

Thanks

Paul

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Thank you for all the comments. This is not a negligible hum. Playing quiet music at night I notice it in quiet moments. I wonder if Spectral are really using the correct transformer for 240v UK.

Thanks

Paul

Paul:

Did you get your Spectral amp thru a dealer? I'd go back to them if so and let them sort it out with Spectral. Surely they have a contact number.

This is from the Spectral website:

Please call the factory for the Spectral Dealer in your area.
(408) 738-8521 Office
(408) 738-8524 Fax

gratefulgroveway

Jan 23, 2011
Yes my dealer has been very helpful. This is already a replacement model. I will talk with them this week.

Thanks

P

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Yes my dealer has been very helpful. This is already a replacement model. I will talk with them this week.

Thanks

P

Great, hopefully they can solve your problem.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
I have same thing but with my CD Transport, basically same thing in that it is transformer buzz.
From what I understand this can either be related to DC or poor mains or if really unlucky the wrong transformer has been put in (50hz-60hz), out of interest I took my transport to a neighbours house and the problem went away so this shows it is a problem with another product in my house or poor mains.
Maybe you can take the amp to a friends house to just turn on and see if the transformer buzzes?

I am mulling over whether to try something like the following:
http://www.trichordresearch.com/acatalog/Powerblock_1000.html
Or the new replacement for the PS Audio Power Plant Premier.
Or spend time testing-monitoring the mains and try to resolve the source of the problem.
I am in the UK as well.

Cheers
Orb

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I have the DMC-30SS and the DMA-260, both are US market versions. I am using Spectral MIT cables. have had similar issues with transformer hum. I thought it may be potential DC leakage, but after investigating that is not the case. My DMA-260 has a very low level of transformer hum. You have to put your ear very close to hear it. The DMC-30SS has an higher level of hum that is easy to hear from several feet away in a quiet room. I am taking the DMC-30SS back to the dealer for Spectral to take a look. When I called Spectral they said some hum was normal. The hum I am experiencing is not something close to any other component I have had in the past.

gratefulgroveway

Jan 23, 2011
This is really interesting. My 30SS is totally silent, as is my 4000PRO CD player. For me the DMA 260 is loud enough to be irritating. I haven't called SPECTRAL and am working through my dealer.

Having worked up through the chain - 100 Power amp, 250 Power and now 260 Power this is the first SPECTRAL I have had grounds to worry about. I hugely admire SPECTRAL but this is all a bit of a pain in the neck.

mimesis

Sep 26, 2010
I have the DMC 30SS and the 360S2; so far in two different setups and with a variety of interconnected gear, I've been fortunate not to have any hum, transformer or ground loop. Hope all of you experiencing this issue are able to resolve the problem. Good luck!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing