Does anybody hear difference with a coffee table in place?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Saw your signature. Congrats on your daughter's song release. Hope she kept the table out during the recording

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
And we all saw that video from a professional audiophile audio reviewer in his professional music listening room.

https://youtu.be/H07NpWk_Xf8

I love that music starting @ 10:30 with great exaltation. Sublime!

I think it's this album:

And this song:
https://youtu.be/Z2DQz3Nffy4

Starting @ 12:35

It sure is:
https://youtu.be/P4IeHIb_T5k

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Wow, BG.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Last edited:

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Check out all of the old gear stored/scattered around the shelves in this room.

View attachment 42860

You play the hand your dealt.

My room has its issues, less than most, not perfect but better than most. I wouldn’t voluntarily make it worse but understand that under many circumstances you have no choice or choose not to care as not caring is many times more of a hassle than the benefit.

Congrats on your daughter

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
My room is my place period as the 20 feet behind my setting is my open bedroom
It’s good as it’s absorbing , but behind my speakers is an area of 20/9/15 feet this is my living room par say
It has a huge 8 foot desk and 65 plasma on it.
At times many boxes are back there as well.
It all matters but it matters less for me as i really don’t sit and just listen anyway.
I do if it’s trying to review something I changed.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
It’s an absurd comparison. Trust me you aren’t changing my mind. I get DDK and jeffrey_t points, although there my “preferences” are different from theirs. Your comparison and analogy by contrast has no basis.

RE Post No. 84.

853 was trying to be nice. Why the attitude in your response?

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Does having another person in your listening room change how it sounds?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I've been told there is such a thing as" floor bounce." Consequently indirect sound waves can bounce off the table and arrive later at you ears. However is not this like asking someone else,"is my wife sexy?"

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
RE Post No. 84.

853 was trying to be nice. Why the attitude in your response?

Gordon, my take is that he is trying to drive his point home about all the numerous and sometimes expensive tweaks people make to their kit claiming ridiculous 'night & day' improvements yet fail to recognize a possible / probable sonic set back with the reflective 'obstacle'

Myself, I'm in the camp of nothing between me and the speakers, hell it drives me nuts when I see people putting 'crap' between their speakers

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Gordon, my take is that he is trying to drive his point home about all the numerous and sometimes expensive tweaks people make to their kit claiming ridiculous 'night & day' improvements yet fail to recognize a possible / probable sonic set back with the reflective 'obstacle'

Myself, I'm in the camp of nothing between me and the speakers, hell it drives me nuts when I see people putting 'crap' between their speakers

Exactly. That is my point exactly.

Thank you.

My comment regarding the “absurd comparison” was between a workplace mixing studio and an audiophile listening environment. I got the poster’s point and his further elucidation of his point in his additional posts and a nice PM but still believe it’s an absurd comparison as the environments of the two will by necessity have to be different.

I’m in your camp.

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Just stumbled across this thread.......interesting. Not so much about whether a coffee table matters, more about us audiophiles. We should keep this one away from the authorities; they may through us all in the looney bin. Regarding the OP, I always refer to the science and go from there.

If the objective of an audiophile listening room is the pursuit of a perfect a replication of the recording, it will do so best by presenting the sound waves generated by the transducer with a path to the listener that is impacted by the environment in a manner which best reflects this goal. In turn, sound wave behavior is unequivocally impacted by all reflection and absorption in the listening environment. Reflection and absorption are a function of the frequency of each individual sound wave and the density, shape, hardness, and location of the objects in the listening room that the wave contacts prior to reaching the listener. Period.

Whether the OP or anyone else in their particular room, given each rooms aggregate reflective and absorptive conditions and the listeners unique auditory processing characteristics, prefer an outcome within this paradigm is a wholly personal thing. That does not change the science.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing