Does anybody hear difference with a coffee table in place?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I think you just hit the nail on the head.

"Listening experience" versus what I believe to be the "best" your system can sound. In your situation, your "listening experience" with coffee tables, etc, trumps my desire to get the "best sound".
Yes, for me the experience trumps other things but I never feel that I’m leaving anything on the table either.
david

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
David,

I am not prejudging. I am simple stating a fact. Everything makes a difference. We can rationalize that it doesn't "make that much of a difference" but it does, pure and simple. It's whether you #1 can admit it and #2 if you are willing to live with the compromise. From my perch, if you are putting together a system, strictly for the purposes of listening to the music to get the utmost out of it and to get what the manufacturer intended, placing a reflecting surface in the middle of the room or listening in a recliner with a high back is not going to get you there.

We buy products like yours to get the best out of our systems so why would we purposely detract from them unless you don't care or have no choice but to live with the compromise but by no means does it enhance the sound.

People have laughed at me for making a big deal out of the listening chair. I have spent, literally years looking for what I felt was the best one and have found what I believe is the best (maybe not for everyone) and it pushes everyone of my audiophile buttons. I enjoy speaking to the manufacturers of the "transducers" I purchase and every single one of them will tell you they have a height they want your ear to be at. How many of us actually pay attention to that? It's not being obsessive or making assumptions but getting the best out of what you paid for.

Years ago when Jim Smith came to voice my system, he spent a couple of hours the night before listening and assessing the issues. Before he left for the night he asked me to do two things by morning before he started his work. One was to damp the vibration of the piano in the room. The other was to raise the height of the sofa cushions by a few inches. I got two furniture blankets for the piano, and ripped a piece of plywood to insert under the cushions of my listening sofa. He then started the serious work of listening and adjusting.

You are right that everything matters. And Jim, with his trained ears, certainly heard more of the issues that I did.

I do appreciate David's and Steve's point though. If the OP does not hear a difference in his room and system, he should do as he pleases. Actually, to your point, he should do as he pleases, regardless. What each of us chooses to do is a different matter depending on our objectives. It seems the OP wants opinions about his coffee table and perhaps, though not asking, may appreciate other suggestions too. It's a good subject to discuss.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
It should be part of this conversation. I forget which poster had the saying "everything matters" and everything does matter, including TV's on walls, putting speakers in enclosed cabinets, high back chairs, coffee tables, etc, etc.

Why can't you sit on the golf course bench?
problem solved LOL

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Welcome!

In addition to objects between the listener and the speakers, some people prefer not to have any equipment between the speakers. That is a more difficult problem to solve (I have my equipment between, but behind my speakers). People have their equipment on the side or on the back wall. Finally, some people use material to diffuse or dampen the rear reflections from hard surfaces behind the speakers, and first and second reflection points on the side walls Rear walls are often left more live.

I even visited a home recently with a very nice system with a fancy sound absorbing/reflecting/resonating device positioned half way between the two speakers (nothing else between or behind the speakers - equipment on the side).

Larry

For what it's worth, I've found that equipment between the speakers makes very little sonic difference if any unless your rack(s) are of substantial height. This is most likely because the rack is a significant distance away from the sweet spot versus a coffee table which is in close proximity to the sweet spot (early reflections and all that goes with it).

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I’m pretty much in the “everything matters” camp, but the coffee table, listening environment aesthetics, social comfortable settings is part of what matters too. For years most of my listening experience was from behind a large desk, never affecting the experience.

david

It also depends on how you listen. My listening usually involves friends and family enjoying great music and each others company. Design ascetics (Nelson benches, Eames chairs, etc) are important conciderations while building a great listening space. When I see rooms totally dominated by ugly sound proofing, the room doesn't look inviting to me.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Yes, for me the experience trumps other things but I never feel that I’m leaving anything on the table either.
david

"but I never feel that I’m leaving anything on the table either"

Now you bring up a different issue. So you notice a difference if you put something on the coffee table, just not the coffee table itself. Yes I'm joking.

Not looking to be petulant and sorry if you take it that way, but, yes you are leaving "sonically" something on the table if you ignore the sonic factors of having a reflective surface between your transducers and your listening position. It is a matter of whether that matters to you.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Years ago when Jim Smith came to voice my system, he spent a couple of hours the night before listening and assessing the issues. Before he left for the night he asked me to do two things by morning before he started his work. One was to damp the vibration of the piano in the room. The other was to raise the height of the sofa cushions by a few inches. I got two furniture blankets for the piano, and ripped a piece of plywood to insert under the cushions of my listening sofa. He then started the serious work of listening and adjusting.

You are right that everything matters. And Jim, with his trained ears, certainly heard more of the issues that I did.

I do appreciate David's and Steve's point though. If the OP does not hear a difference in his room and system, he should do as he pleases. Actually, to your point, he should do as he pleases, regardless. What each of us chooses to do is a different matter depending on our objectives. It seems the OP wants opinions about his coffee table and perhaps, though not asking, may appreciate other suggestions too. It's a good subject to discuss.

Everyone has opinions on this and by no means do I want to tell people theirs is wrong. Everything in life is a set of compromises and it is what you are willing to live with. Again, not sure why the OP would ask in a high end thread if it didn't make a difference. The logic doesn't compute with me. It must matter otherwise why ask. Whether or not it matters enough to someone to remove it is another issue. BUT it does matter.

As you noticed when you had Jim Smith over "everything matters". It is a matter of what you want and how you want it. My two points are that #1 it does matter sonically and #2 we discuss/debate/heated debate/argue over every last issue about our systems and then are willing to mitigate our super expensive systems by voluntarily doing stuff that we know is detrimental to the sound.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
It also depends on how you listen. My listening usually involves friends and family enjoying great music and each others company. Design ascetics (Nelson benches, Eames chairs, etc) are important conciderations while building a great listening space. When I see rooms totally dominated by ugly sound proofing, the room doesn't look inviting to me.

I truly get that and like I said to each his own and I think David hit the nail on the head by his statement which I inferred to mean (which I guess I inferred wrong by a later post of his when he said he didn't leave anything on the table) there is a difference between the "listening experience" and my point of getting the optimum your system is capable of. Both perspectives have compromises, one in getting the most out of your system and the other in the starkness and lack of creature comforts.

jdza

May 3, 2010
Gospel? No What's Best? No. Just my room and my experience :

This is my room and this is my coffee table.

DSCN5303 by jdza, on Flickr

On a Saturday evening during a bout of Audiophilitis I decided the coffee table was bad. I removed it. The sound became distinctly odd. I dragged out my measuring rig. Freq response stayed the same but the RT 60 did not. Overall value stayed 0.44s but in the low mids a segment shot up to more than 30% above the rest of the spectrum. Table back and it normalised. That (rather large) table moved in and out 14 times over that weekend. It stays where it is. The books must be there and the weekly flowers are sometimes much admired for their sound quality and some weeks not so good.

My wife recently removed the rug under the table. Again mayhem to the sound.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
? http://archimago.blogspot.com/2015/08/measurements-room-acoustic-absorption.html
? http://archimago.blogspot.com/2016/05/updated-room-measurements-musings-on.html

___

From another source (not Dr. Floyd Toole):

"Another common mistake is having a low table directly in front of the seating, between the listening position and the front speakers. It’s a great place for the chips, dip, and feet, but bad for sound. Direct sound from your speakers mixes with the reflected (delayed slightly) sound off the table, reducing focus and clarity."
_____

There is a difference between a professional music listening room and a more casual music listening space. The Canadian OP's room fits best the description of the later. ...My own main music listening room the same; I cannot afford to have a dedicated professionally acoustically tuned music listening room in my barn (I calculated that it would cost me approximately $750,000 for the type of job I want...the best).

I too use a coffee table in my music space; I put my books/mags (Chatelaine, National Geographic, Paris Match, RollingStone, Hi>Fi+, The Art of the Deal, ...) on it, my remote control, my CD/SACDs, my USB sticks, my Android phone, my coffee, my glass of wine (cognac), my laptop, my chess board and my Rubik's Cube.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
It stays where it is. The books must be there and the weekly flowers are sometimes much admired for their sound quality and some weeks not so good.

When my room was designed, my acoustician said that the shelves I have on the side filled with CD's will act as a diffuser and I should move them around until the number on each shelf results in the best sound

Also when I had the shelves constructed she stipulated that the back wall of the shelves not touch the inside of the back wall. she wanted 1/4" difference as this too would serve as a diffuser

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) From another source (not Dr. Floyd Toole):

"Another common mistake is having a low table directly in front of the seating, between the listening position and the front speakers. It’s a great place for the chips, dip, and feet, but bad for sound. Direct sound from your speakers mixes with the reflected (delayed slightly) sound off the table, reducing focus and clarity."

Bob,
It would be nice if you properly identified the source of your comment, particularly if you refer the name of F. Toole in the same sentence.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
"If your loudspeakers are well behaved off axis, absorption of the first lateral reflection is optional. According to the research by Dr. Floyd Toole, In double blind tests most people find the additional spaciousness caused by not absorbing the early reflections to be pleasant. Early reflections help to fill the huge hole in the frequency response which improves the center phantom image in the sweet spot for two-channel listening. The idea for killing first lateral reflections originated in pro audio, where mixers found that being in a strong direct sound field made their job easier. A recent JAES paper confirms this, but goes on to say that mastering engineers prefer to listen in more reflective spaces. This of course is good, because that is where consumers listen.

Now, if you want to “kill first reflections” you will need at least 3 inches of fiberglass or solid (not sculptured) foam. Anything thinner just turns the treble down, degrading sound quality."

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Gospel? No What's Best? No. Just my room and my experience : (...)

The photo of your room should bring some common sense to to this debate. There are so many types of speakers, rooms and preferences that we can not have general rules.

As a side note, I will say that many people have floor materials or carpets that are far more offensive from the acoustic point of view than a wood coffee table ...

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Interesting thread. When I had my speakers along the long wall of my room and had a different coffee table, it made a big difference. In my current orientation and a wooden coffee table, I'm not sure that it does. I've moved it out a few times when other audiophiles (e.g. Peter A) was over and I *think* the difference was negligible. I guess I should try moving it again, if only to truly know (I love my coffee table for casual listening and wouldn't banish it outright).

Slightly off-topic:
What did NOT make an audible difference is treating the window behind my speakers. I've tried drapes, wooden blinds (a suggestion by ddk) and did a/b tests with my audiophile friend with the best hearing I know and who is extremely fussy when it comes to high frequencies. He could not hear a difference and neither could I.

However, I've always suspected I was losing a lot of midbass through the glass and on Friday I tried placing a door on it's side to try and retain some midbass and gain some body. It worked. Significant difference; I almost have too much midbass. I'm still assessing it... obviously it's a bit of a band-aid but I have to say I'm enjoying the results so far.

Magic door.jpg

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Bob,
It would be nice if you properly identified the source of your comment, particularly if you refer the name of F. Toole in the same sentence.

I usually include links with all my quotes. The reason why I didn't this time is because it's from an article on home theater setup. But the rule still generally applies to a strictly 2-channel stereo music listening room, with only two loudspeakers.

It's from Audioholics and written by Paul Scarpelli
COMMON MISTAKES WHEN SETTING UP A HOME THEATER SYSTEM

And that latest quote from my latest post also came from that same article (link).

I agree with you, so I'm please to oblige.

Jim Smith

Industry Expert
Dec 14, 2012
A simple test is to drape a towel over the table top. If there is no difference, don't worry about it. If it's an improvement, keep the towel nearby for "serious" listening sessions or experiment with removing the table.

Back when I needed to have the table in the room due to WAF considerations - I could hear it, but the effect was relatively minor. Draping a towel over it to remove first reflections worked well enough - at least for me.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I usually include links with all my quotes. The reason why I didn't this time is because it's from an article on home theater setup. But the rule still generally applies to a strictly 2-channel stereo music listening room, with only two loudspeakers.

It's from Audioholics and written by Paul Scarpelli
COMMON MISTAKES WHEN SETTING UP A HOME THEATER SYSTEM

And that latest quote from my latest post also came from that same article (link).

I agree with you, so I'm please to oblige.

Thanks Bob. Can I ask you if you endorse the positions of these people, known for their anti-audiophile systematic attitude?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
A simple test is to drape a towel over the table top. If there is no difference, don't worry about it. If it's an improvement, keep the towel nearby for "serious" listening sessions or experiment with removing the table.

Back when I needed to have the table in the room due to WAF considerations - I could hear it, but the effect was relatively minor. Draping a towel over it to remove first reflections worked well enough - at least for me.

A1+

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Thanks Bob. Can I ask you if you endorse the positions of these people, known for their anti-audiophile systematic attitude?

A relatively long time ago I was a forum member @ Audioholics. And years before I joined I was reading many of the articles.

First, the overall attitude of the forums @ the time that I was a member was simply too narrow for my own taste. I contributed the best I could; I am an extremely patient person, but after constant aggressive comments by some of their regular members, it was time to explore other avenues.

They have some very good articles on their website; that I can use.

I know exactly what you mean; and no, I don't subscribe to narrow views, or as you just said it...to anti-audiophile systematic attitude. I'm very patient, but when it's time to go it's time to go.
I like open minds, peaceful people, relaxing atmosphere, intelligent people, ...all that cool jazz. ...Which is what I'm listening to right now (Jazz music), on the r.a.d.i.o., sitting outside on the veranda with a view on the whales of the Pacific Ocean.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing