Does anybody hear difference with a coffee table in place?

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
To each his own BUT my observations on this forum is that people spend tons of bucks on equipment (100k is a drop in the bucket here), cables, servers, sound rooms, dedicated electrical circuits, power modulators/distributors/whatever you want to call them, electrical outlets, grounding devices, traps, diffusors, absorbers, cable supporters, racks, Herzan tables, feet for equipment, what kind of fill to use for hollow legs, etc etc and then all that so that we can place a coffee table between the speaker and the listening position or sit in a high back recliner??

Some comments here that "it doesn't effect the sound that much".

Like I said, to each his own and enjoy your money and what it buys anyway you want it, but given the topic raised by the OP, it does effect sound and the rationalizations that it doesn't effect it too much is so counterintuitive to all the work, money and posts declared on these forums I just have to laugh

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
To each his own BUT my observations on this forum is that people spend tons of bucks on equipment (100k is a drop in the bucket here), cables, servers, sound rooms, dedicated electrical circuits, power modulators/distributors/whatever you want to call them, electrical outlets, grounding devices, traps, diffusors, absorbers, cable supporters, racks, Herzan tables, feet for equipment, what kind of fill to use for hollow legs, etc etc and then all that so that we can place a coffee table between the speaker and the listening position or sit in a high back recliner??

Like I said, to each his own and enjoy your money and what it buys anyway you want it, but given the topic raised by the OP, it does effect sound and the rationalizations that it doesn't effect it too much is so counterintuitive to all the work, money and posts declared on these forums I just have to laugh

+ 1

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Hilarious.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

Depends on how one listens, the absolute last drop or the overall listening experience of the space. None of what you mentioned matters if the overall experience is even slightly negative. I have other furniture and a table in front of the main listening chair too and yes there’s an effect on the sound but not enough to change the experience, never bothered anyone visiting either. If anything the relaxed comfortable social setting enhances the experience. There’s a point in pursuit of “perfection” that IMO can become obsessive making the experience miserable, so yes “not that much” depending on the space is the smarter way to go :).

david

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Depends on how one listens, the absolute last drop or the overall listening experience of the space. None of what you mentioned matters if the overall experience is even slightly negative. I have other furniture and a table in front of the main listening chair too and yes there’s an effect on the sound but not enough to change the experience, never bothered anyone visiting either. If anything the relaxed comfortable social setting enhances the experience. There’s a point in pursuit of “perfection” that IMO can become obsessive making the experience miserable, so yes “not that much” depending on the space is the smarter way to go :).

david

Makes no sense to me and by the listing of equipment you have and sell it apparently makes no sense to you but like I said do/rationalize what/how you want.

"None of what you mentioned matters if the overall experience is even slightly negative", well, placing furniture in the path of the transducer or sitting in a high back recliner is one of the best ways I can think of to make the overall experience very (not slightly) negative.

So what does "change the experience"? American Sound Turntables or The Nothing Rack? Then only to mitigate the excellence of both by removing the benefits of both by obstructing/interfering with the transducers within the room?? Like I said, makes no sense to me.

To each his own. When I want to listen to my system and all it's glory, I literally listen the way my room/system/accessories were meant to be used. If not, I can lounge around with my MojoPoly, feet up, coffee table and all. LOL

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

david

Makes no sense to me and by the listing of equipment you have and sell it apparently makes no sense to you but like I said do/rationalize what/how you want.

"None of what you mentioned matters if the overall experience is even slightly negative", well, placing furniture in the path of the transducer or sitting in a high back recliner is one of the best ways I can think of to make the overall experience very (not slightly) negative.

So what does "change the experience"? American Sound Turntables or The Nothing Rack? Then only to mitigate the excellence of both by removing the benefits of both by obstructing/interfering with the transducers within the room?? Like I said, makes no sense to me.

To each his own. When I want to listen to my system and all it's glory, I literally listen the way my room/system/accessories were meant to be used. If not, I can lounge around with my MojoPoly, feet up, coffee table and all. LOL

I agree in principal with both but in my post to T Boost he doesn't hear a difference and that is why I said to do nothing and enjoy his system

FWIW I have nothing between me and my speakers

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
I agree in principal with both but in my post to T Boost he doesn't hear a difference and that is why I said to do nothing and enjoy his system

FWIW I have nothing between me and my speakers

Steve,

In all fairness the absurdity can't be lost here. Again, let people do what they want and how they want, no skin off my back, BUT, when we have a forum like WBF, filled with pages of getting the last drop of capabilities out of our systems (with all the things I list) to then place reflecting surfaces in the middle of the room, no one can tell me that "it doesn't effect the sound that much".

Maybe it's just the cynicism I was born with.

Howie

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Steve,

In all fairness the absurdity can't be lost here. Again, let people do what they want and how they want, no skin off my back, BUT, when we have a forum like WBF, filled with pages of getting the last drop of capabilities out of our systems (with all the things I list) to then place reflecting surfaces in the middle of the room, no one can tell me that "it doesn't effect the sound that much".

Maybe it's just the cynicism I was born with.

Howie

Howie

I agree with you BUT T Boost stated he hears no difference so why should he not keep the table there and enjoy and put his legs up if he wants

I do also believe there is merit in the comments re the high back chair as well as having the speakers closet the windows. Those would be priorities of mine

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

American Sound tt yes, the The Nothing on it's own no. You're prejudging a situation and making assumptions based on your own space and mode of listening.

david

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Howie

I agree with you BUT T Boost stated he hears no difference so why should he not keep the table there and enjoy and put his legs up if he wants

I do also believe there is merit in the comments re the high back chair as well as having the speakers closet the windows. Those would be priorities of mine

High back chairs, tv screens behind speakers and other paraphernalia are not part of this conversation, it's about the convenience of a coffee table.

david

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Why coffee table, I can listen to differences with three small mpingo discs. Imagine if the table was made from tuned ebony

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Howie

Nothing against the OP BUT if he hears no difference, why post about it? Not sure of the OP all together BUT it does raise a bigger issue that has engulfed terabytes of posts.

The point I make is that we all have our rationalizations and dogma to justify why we purchase what we do, the speakers that we do, the turntables, DACs as well as every little gizmo to enhance the sound our incredibly expensive gear (that most people would think we were crazy spending this kind of money on) AND while sometimes there are things we can't help, such as the "room you are dealt" with windows, asymmetry, too low/too high ceilings, etc, there is no debating that purposely placing a reflecting surface or a high back recliner in your room is going to mitigate the capabilities of one's system and defeats the purpose of "whats the best".

Just my opinion, but I want every last drop of what my system is capable of and hence why I have no coffee table, no high back chair and don't listen reclining.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
High back chairs, tv screens behind speakers and other paraphernalia are not part of this conversation, it's about the convenience of a coffee table.

david

It should be part of this conversation. I forget which poster had the saying "everything matters" and everything does matter, including TV's on walls, putting speakers in enclosed cabinets, high back chairs, coffee tables, etc, etc.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You can try Mike's chair. It is designed such that you can listen reclining and behind the end it is specifically designed to not interfere with your listening.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
American Sound tt yes, the The Nothing on it's own no. You're prejudging a situation and making assumptions based on your own space and mode of listening.

david

David,

I am not prejudging. I am simple stating a fact. Everything makes a difference. We can rationalize that it doesn't "make that much of a difference" but it does, pure and simple. It's whether you #1 can admit it and #2 if you are willing to live with the compromise. From my perch, if you are putting together a system, strictly for the purposes of listening to the music to get the utmost out of it and to get what the manufacturer intended, placing a reflecting surface in the middle of the room or listening in a recliner with a high back is not going to get you there.

We buy products like yours to get the best out of our systems so why would we purposely detract from them unless you don't care or have no choice but to live with the compromise but by no means does it enhance the sound.

People have laughed at me for making a big deal out of the listening chair. I have spent, literally years looking for what I felt was the best one and have found what I believe is the best (maybe not for everyone) and it pushes everyone of my audiophile buttons. I enjoy speaking to the manufacturers of the "transducers" I purchase and every single one of them will tell you they have a height they want your ear to be at. How many of us actually pay attention to that? It's not being obsessive or making assumptions but getting the best out of what you paid for.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
It should be part of this conversation. I forget which poster had the saying "everything matters" and everything does matter, including TV's on walls, putting speakers in enclosed cabinets, high back chairs, coffee tables, etc, etc.
I’m pretty much in the “everything matters” camp, but the coffee table, listening environment aesthetics, social comfortable settings is part of what matters too. For years most of my listening experience was from behind a large desk, never affecting the experience.

david

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
I’m pretty much in the “everything matters” camp, but the coffee table, listening environment aesthetics, social comfortable settings is part of what matters too. For years most of my listening experience was from behind a large desk, never affecting the experience.

david

I think you just hit the nail on the head.

"Listening experience" versus what I believe to be the "best" your system can sound. In your situation, your "listening experience" with coffee tables, etc, trumps my desire to get the "best sound".

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing