Some tantalizing rumors about Wilson and Magico

hifidelity1

Jan 19, 2011
Hi

According to the Merriam-Webster Innovation: the introduction of something new

In what way has WIlson introduced anything new in their loudspeakers .. Or Magico for that extent .. I will agree with Audioguy that neither Vandersteen, norThiel have introduced anything new either but Magnepan and MBL did. The Magnepan planar and the MBL Ribbon were innovative, Same could be said about the Dukane Ionovac Ion tweeter but superb execution is not innovation ... One could even push how some companied worked around some limitations of EL Quad, Martin Logan, Sanders ...

So ... I am coming back: According to the defintion of the word innovation, Wilson and Magico are not innovative.

Hi, all the only innovation was the original Loudspeaker itself everything that followed was an improvement only! nothing more no matter what material or shape or design, Therefore all credit for innovation must be given to the person who had the original idea! And not to those who improved a nother mans work.

jack

Jan 23, 2011
... Vivid does hold a bunch of patents on their driver technology for the record. They are a company that doesn't seem to get a ton of press, but they have quietly received lots of stellar reviews. Their cabinet designs often over shadow their driver technology and sound. So while there isn't a sea change of ideas that represent true innovation, there have been significant strides made in existing technology that make significant differences in sound quality.

But referring to their passive crossovers Vivid writes:

"For a set of drivers to blend together seamlessly into a whole it is essential
that their individual acoustic responses adhere accurately to certain defined filter shapes.
We have chosen fourth order Linkwitz-Riley filters because of their ideal phase
and summations characters through each crossover point with also yield symmetrical
dispersion patterns."

Linkwitz writes:

" ... The only excuse for passive crossovers is their low cost. Their behavior changes with the signal level dependent dynamics of the drivers. They block the power amplifier from taking maximum control over the voice coil motion. They are a waste of time, if accuracy of reproduction is the goal."

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Go to their factory and you'll see why. Ive been at Wilson and they've recently just about doubled their manufacturing and R&D space. There are also plenty of manufacturing videos showing Wilson and Magico being built. Look and see how the Wilsons are even painted. Nothing short of a Ferrari is done that way. The attention to detail is second to none. Look at how they voice the speaker using a multitude of rooms, etc. etc. Then come back and tell us they're not innovative.

You must need to clean your glasses or get your eyes checked or ...... . I said absolutely NOTHING about Wilson or Magico. ZERO/ZIP/NADA. My comments were about (if you clean your glasses and re-read what I wrote) Vandersteen, Theil and MBL.

And tell me how new ways to build cabinets is innovative. Not in my book.

Are Magico and Wilson great speakers? Absolutely. Are they highly innovative, Absolutely not.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Innovative might be then considered a completely new technology. Maybe then the last was the Hill Plasmatronics...

I'd very much like to enjoy innovation in the form of a full-range "plasma" driver/loudspeaker, i.e. Hill Plasmatronics transducing full-range sans any other type of driver :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I'd very much like to enjoy innovation in the form of a full-range "plasma" driver/loudspeaker, i.e. Hill Plasmatronics transducing full-range sans any other type of driver :)

Roll up that Helium tanker :)

Wasn't that what John Iverson was working on and showed at one CES?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Roll up that Helium tanker :)

Wasn't that what John Iverson was working on and showed at one CES?

Shoot, I'll arrange for the He to be piped in, then I can pay for it in bulk :)
Uncertain about John Iverson...have to research that one!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Shoot, I'll arrange for the He to be piped in, then I can pay for it in bulk :)
Uncertain about John Iverson...have to research that one!

I seem to remember a picture of that speaker (maybe) on the cover of an old Stereophile (?). Could have been something from Nelson Pass possibly too. Maybe it's in the SP archives.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
But referring to their passive crossovers Vivid writes:

"For a set of drivers to blend together seamlessly into a whole it is essential
that their individual acoustic responses adhere accurately to certain defined filter shapes.
We have chosen fourth order Linkwitz-Riley filters because of their ideal phase
and summations characters through each crossover point with also yield symmetrical
dispersion patterns."

Linkwitz writes:

" ... The only excuse for passive crossovers is their low cost. Their behavior changes with the signal level dependent dynamics of the drivers. They block the power amplifier from taking maximum control over the voice coil motion. They are a waste of time, if accuracy of reproduction is the goal."
That's a great find and argument!

Reminds me of the designer of Talon telling me he had a single capacitor which cost $1,000. I don't know any active design which would require such a capacitor!

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
While installing a new garbage disposal a couple of months ago, I was suddenly struck with the desire to build a pair of Linkwitz Plutos...

One of these days I'll get around to it, but who needs aluminum cabinets and Ferrarri paint when you've got plumbing?

Tim

JHM

Banned
Jan 20, 2011
Let's see: SSAVB is a Magico dealer. Elberoth also seems like a dealer by looking at the equipment he has for sale too. So do you really believe anything they have to say, not to mention Elberoth owns Wilsons too?

FYI- Elberoth is not a dealer. He's a reviewer like you.

From the pictures on audiogon, looks like he's got a great listening room.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
While installing a new garbage disposal a couple of months ago, I was suddenly struck with the desire to build a pair of Linkwitz Plutos...

One of these days I'll get around to it, but who needs aluminum cabinets and Ferrarri paint when you've got plumbing?

Tim

Say,

I think I recall those...one really does employ plumbing :cool:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I would say Quad was innovative when they brought the ESL-57 to market.

Speaking about innovation, I would also say Quad was really innovative when they introduced the ESL63 to market - as far as I know it was the first time a speaker was created to emulate a perfect point source, using a planar system controlled by a progressive crossover with delay lines.

Magico are great sounding speakers, but some credit should also be given to the Goldmund Epilogue series - they were selling all metal speakers built using hard-brass, soft-brass, aluminum and steel more than a decade ago. I remember seeing advertisements with photos of their elaborated internal bracing systems, built with several metals.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
FYI- Elberoth is not a dealer. He's a reviewer like you.

From the pictures on audiogon, looks like he's got a great listening room.

Thanks.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
they are not innovative :)

Ah Randall, I guess you just haven't been with Soundstage Network long enough to discover that what is innovative by your reviewers one day are trashed the next. I would also be happy to post some very interesting conversations here between myself and the reviewer shortly after he heard the demo at DW's house. Needless to say he was impressed then.

Ahhh but I guess I am demonstrating some bias here. :)

http://www.ultraaudio.com/features/2004_02_01.htm

Granted the review was 6 years ago but I am always interested to see how the glow of a review one year by the reviewer becomes the tarnish of the same reviewers the next year. Seems to me the reviewer at that time indeed had a pair of X-2 Series l's. A similar comment at the same time by the same reviewer regarding Halcro amps also said that this amp was the cat's meow and far ahead of anything else. Interesting how the reviewer dumped his Halcro the following year because it no longer met his expectations. I say this not to denigrate the reviewer but to illustrate the very issue with which I have a problem

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Sometimes innovation is just finding a way of making some existing thing in a more effective and cheaper mode. This way it can reach and be used by much more people.

Although it can not be called innovative - I remember reading Jeff used this technique to cancel a bass mode in his room using an huge Watchdog subwoofer - if someone could design an active bass trap of small size that could replace a lot of ugly big bass trap panels in the listening room, it would be a success. But it seems some innovation is still needed to produce it ...

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi, all the only innovation was the original Loudspeaker itself everything that followed was an improvement only! nothing more no matter what material or shape or design, Therefore all credit for innovation must be given to the person who had the original idea! And not to those who improved a nother mans work.

Strawman argument here... reload

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing