Some tantalizing rumors about Wilson and Magico

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Hello fas a long time has gone by and i reread the thread and saw i didnt give an answer.
Well they were show conditions so not optimal
The system sounded slow , the music stuck to the speakers and sounded "zompy " like it had no energy , it could be that they were seriously underpowered i dont know , i very much like dynamics /impact
Well, that was a long time between drinks, a year ago to be precise! :b:b

Thanks for your thoughts, yes, it does sound like they were underpowered, they are "ridiculously" insensitive; and I heard them being driven by the top of line MBL amps -- they need lot and lots of current to get the dynamics.

Your comment "... and moves closer and closer to neutrality , the closer you get the harder it is to improve" is even more true for systems in general; it is quite an enervating journey in one way, the closer you are, the more sensitive everything becomes to various influences, and it can become so tiresome sorting out the last issues ...

Frank

Ettepet

Mar 12, 2012
To respond to the originally raised issues in this ancient topic, about the lack of true innovation in the audio (loudspeaker) business:

More recent examples of innovation in speaker design would be Danley's Synergy Horn and Tapped Horn. Both accomplish things no other current design can match: Pattern and phase control over a wide frequency range, efficiency (especially in their subwoofer designs), to name some distinguishing features.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Welcome Ettepet, I wouldn't go as far as saying there weren't innovations in speaker designs. I would agree with you that Danley designs in speakers are serious and innovative attempts at higher fidelity. They may be frown upon by many audiophiles, I think some are beginning to see the light as for subs .. Tom Danley has been innovating for a long while and indeed his Tapered Horns are superior performers. Capable of rivaling in performance most high end designs and surpassing these by an order of magnitude in sheer output ... Audiophile prejudices have been the obstacle to these designs finding ways, in many high end systems... (Size and finish too but that can be worked on ..)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing