ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
It's because audiogon was down for a while right after I posted; noticed it too; they work now.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I don't know about Vandersteen, but I've never been under the impression that Wilson and Magico were particularly innovative. Experimenting with alternative materials to reduce cabinet resonance is old school design. So are their drivers. So are their crossovers, as far as I can tell. To me, they just look like companies that are executing the fundamentals extremely well and without compromise. Am I missing something?

Tim

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I don't know about Vandersteen, but I've never been under the impression that Wilson and Magico were particularly innovative. Experimenting with alternative materials to reduce cabinet resonance is old school design. So are their drivers. So are their crossovers, as far as I can tell. To me, they just look like companies that are executing the fundamentals extremely well and without compromise. Am I missing something?

Tim

Since YOU Phelonious posted thatbefore me, I feel free to say the same ... Really but really what is so onnovative about Magico or Wilson? I am not saying that they don't sound good... Quite the contrary in several models I am simply wondering how innovative they really are ... OTOH Vandersteen, Thiel, MBL would get my vote on the innovation front..

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
They do sound good. Executing the fundamentals well is probably the best way to sound good. Experimentation is more often a way to discover breakthroughs with great promise and great problems that are eventually mainstreamed into "executing the fundamentals well." But consider the old-school source. I still haven't heard very many metal tweeters I like :).

Tim

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Vandersteen, Thiel, MBL would get my vote on the innovation front..

Curious: What about their designs demonstrates innovation? I'm not disagreeing but having owned at least one of those, the word "innovative" never really jumped at me.

Speakers like the original Apogee, the Maggies, and other designs that use either very different configurations of drivers or different driver concepts (like Maggies) strike me as more innovative than using conventional drivers.

Just curious.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Curious: What about their designs demonstrates innovation? I'm not disagreeing but having owned at least one of those, the word "innovative" never really jumped at me.

Speakers like the original Apogee, the Maggies, and other designs that use either very different configurations of drivers or different driver concepts (like Maggies) strike me as more innovative than using conventional drivers.

Just curious.

Go to their factory and you'll see why. Ive been at Wilson and they've recently just about doubled their manufacturing and R&D space. There are also plenty of manufacturing videos showing Wilson and Magico being built. Look and see how the Wilsons are even painted. Nothing short of a Ferrari is done that way. The attention to detail is second to none. Look at how they voice the speaker using a multitude of rooms, etc. etc. Then come back and tell us they're not innovative.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Let's see: SSAVB is a Magico dealer. Elberoth also seems like a dealer by looking at the equipment he has for sale too. So do you really believe anything they have to say, not to mention Elberoth owns Wilsons too?

Sorry, but I didn't say I believe or not believe anything... that's why I called them rumors.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I guess someone would have to define what innovative means for today's speaker manufacturers. I don't think that building a speaker incredibly well makes you innovative. To me, to be innovative means you have to bring an entirely new concept to the table that hasn't been tried before. When was the last time that we saw something completely new in speaker design? For the most part, we are still using cones and domes and they have been around forever. Electrostatic speakers have been on the commercial market since the 1950s. Ribbons have been around for quite awhile too. Ditto for Ohm Walsh type speakers.
Drivers have improved, crossovers have improved, cabinets have improved, diaphragm material for stats and ribbons have improved, computer modeling software has improved, but the key word is “improve.” Speaker manufacturers are improving on existing technology. The way I see it, everyone is standing on the shoulders of the giants that came before them. And this is no different for any other part of our hobby.
In summary, I guess for me to call a speaker company innovative, they would have to bring something entirely new to the table that we haven’t seen before. Perfect automotive paint finishes on your speakers doesn’t count.

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I guess someone would have to define what innovative means for today's speaker manufacturers. I don't think that building a speaker incredibly well makes you innovative. To me, to be innovative means you have to bring an entirely new concept to the table that hasn't been tried before. When was the last time that we saw something completely new in speaker design? For the most part, we are still using cones and domes and they have been around forever. Electrostatic speakers have been on the commercial market since the 1950’s. Ribbons have been around for quite awhile too. Ditto for Ohm Walsh type speakers.
Drivers have improved, crossovers have improved, cabinets have improved, diaphragm material for stats and ribbons have improved, computer modeling software has improved, but the key word is “improve.” Speaker manufacturers are improving on existing technology. The way I see it, everyone is standing on the shoulders of the giants that came before them. And this is no different for any other part of our hobby.
In summary, I guess for me to call a speaker company innovative, they would have to bring something entirely new to the table that we haven’t seen before. Perfect automotive paint finishes on your speakers doesn’t count.

Kind of what people said about Bob Dylan too.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I don't know if that's an apt analogy Myles. Are you talking about when Dylan went electric?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
they are not innovative :)

Well then I think Mark raised an important question. What do you consider innovative? Is innovative improving a current design or driver?

Innovative might be then considered a completely new technology. Maybe then the last was the Hill Plasmatronics or John Iverson speakers that were shown at CES and never came to market?

Is any speaker company innovative? Vandersteen? ML? Revel? Magico? Wilson? NOLA? Magnepan? TAD? Quad?

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
Go to their factory and you'll see why. Ive been at Wilson and they've recently just about doubled their manufacturing and R&D space. There are also plenty of manufacturing videos showing Wilson and Magico being built. Look and see how the Wilsons are even painted. Nothing short of a Ferrari is done that way. The attention to detail is second to none. Look at how they voice the speaker using a multitude of rooms, etc. etc. Then come back and tell us they're not innovative.

Really, it all boils down to results. The highest-performing speakers these days use innovative design and engineering tools, even if the designs themselves are more textbook than original. Using multiple rooms isn't exactly an advanced technique. Computer simulations of driver response, like Klippel testing, is. If you don't believe that is important, just look at driver break-up modes. If a driver in a modern speaker is breaking up within its passband, then it just isn't high performing. Period. There is a reason materials like diamond and beryllium and carbon fiber are used today . . .

You have to dig deeper than the finish to see these things.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I would say Quad was innovative when they brought the ESL-57 to market. I would say that Magnepan was innovative when they brought their first speaker to market. I would agree that the Hill Plasmatronics was innovative but not practical for home use. I just think we need to agree on what innovative means for today's speaker manufacturers. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm just seeing incremental improvements on existing technology. And I don't mean to demean how incredibly well both Wilson and Magico build their speakers. Give credit where credit is due.

Maybe my defintion is too strict. Vandersteen devised a way to use balsa wood in his drivers. Wood pulp in speaker drivers has been around for quite awhile. Maybe if you use a new type of wood in your drivers that makes you innovative-maybe not. I could argue that you are just improving on something that has already been done.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Really, it all boils down to results. The highest-performing speakers these days use innovative design and engineering tools, even if the designs themselves are more textbook than original. Using multiple rooms isn't exactly an advanced technique. Computer simulations of driver response, like Klippel testing, is. If you don't believe that is important, just look at driver break-up modes. If a driver in a modern speaker is breaking up within its passband, then it just isn't high performing. Period. There is a reason materials like diamond and beryllium and carbon fiber are used today . . .

You have to dig deeper than the finish to see these things.

I totally agree. And the multi-room is the last part of the design process, not the beginning :) And yes, I think most leading high-end speaker designers use or create/modify (like Roger Sanders) their own measurement tools :)

But the question with driver technology is this: who is driving it? Does the speaker company give the design to the manufacturer or does the designer go to the manufacturer and say I want this and the manufacturer does the work? It's usually the latter. I think for instance the new driver Vandersteen is using that allows him to change his xover design is one example of this synergy.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I personally always differentiate between innovation and skill... I have seen innovation (which to me always results in audible improvement) with respect to drivers, crossover parts and cabinets. The hot question is - what sort of innovation does a particular speaker manufacturer himself have to offer: matching drivers and crossover? building the cabinet? computer simulation of the overall speaker behavior? voicing against real instruments? Or is all this just _skill_, more than innovation?

I think there are some clear cut lines, others more blurry between innovation and skill. For example, to me, getting a paint job a la Ferrari is skill, not much innovation. Building an aluminum cabinet isn't innovation IFF it's done like everyone else in the past. In the case of Magico, it would appear their _recent_ cabinet construction is more than what everyone else has tried before (e.g. to me, the M6 is definitely not an example of recent efforts, as the speaker cavity is hollow), and I would call that innovation. Avoiding driver break-up modes is more of a skill than innovation... etc...

In the end, it's all about the final result. But again, is it because of innovation, skill, a mix of those, and to what degree is the speaker manufacturer himself responsible for the result, so he can claim ownership of the skill and/or innovation...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing